Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Straight and Silky Thread

Other than CO-washing, here's what I find helps me with static hair:

• Satin in winter hats/using hair scarves
    • Lots of moisture and oil, followed up by a hair salve
    • Not using plastic to comb/brush my hair

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    WL/FTL/FTL?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Some more random thoughts about having straight hair:

Years ago, I sort of wished that I had curly hair, though now I'm actually glad my hair is straight because it seems like curls/waves are more difficult to care for and make look nice in general, perhaps especially when hair gets really long.

That being said, I like the flexibility of being able to do heatless waves from braids, but I don't have to deal with having that type of texture all the time.

I wish I could find some bun styles that would result in nice loose curls once taken down, though I haven't really figured that out yet. A single nautilus bun just gives big, weird-ish looking lumps/waves.
    waist / hip / tailbone / classic / fingertip / knee / calf? / ankle? / floor? / terminal??
    knee by 2021?

Length
    Chin/APL/TBD
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Elodea View Post
    Years ago, I sort of wished that I had curly hair, though now I'm actually glad my hair is straight because it seems like curls/waves are more difficult to care for and make look nice in general, perhaps especially when hair gets really long.

I always wanted curly hair as a kid, but everyone I know with curly hair would tell me I absolutely did not really want it, because it's so much harder to take care of.
    They're probably right. I'm a low maintenance gal, I'm lucky to have low maintenance hair.
    I still love the look of curls, but there's lots to appreciate about straight hair.

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I've found the perfect routine for me. My hair is no longer dry. This is air dried with no product!

CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    SHL/34.5/35.4
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Oh my god your hair is gorgeous!!! Your hair is literally my goal!

Length
    SHL/34.5/35.4
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by gin View Post
    Joining and reviving this thread because I want as much help and tips for having and taking care of straight hair! It seems there's a lot of focus on taking care of curly/wavy hair, which I know (not from first hand experience of course, just based on what I've read) requires more careful care and maintenance that's different than the mainstream which focuses on straight hair. My problem is, I NEVER cared about my hair at all so I have no clue what the "mainstream" care is. What do you put on your hair? How much product do you use on your hair? Do you have to use conditioner? Leave ins? Oils? Does it change depending on how long it is, or the time of year/weather?

My hair does tend to get dry if I don't do anything to it, so when I started trying to care of it I started using more conditioner. Then I also added leave-ins and deep treatments/masks, which seemed to help. Well, recently I discovered that it's possible to over-condition/moisturize hair, and my hair might have gotten to that point. So I just tried out just leaving out conditioner for the most part and only lightly applying it to the very very tips of my hair (like last 1-2 inches), and rinsing with ACV. It feels great! Now I'm wondering if I don't even need conditioner, which seems so contrary. Is less more with straight hair?
    Your hair is literally goals!My goals!

Length
    Chin/BSL/WL
    Type
    1a/F/ii

May I join? My hair is pin straight and fine and silky.
    I always had issues with static, more so when I use cones.
    So happy I've found this thread! Looking forward to read it from the beginning now, a lot of useful advice here.

Length
    12 in/40 in/40 in
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Elodea View Post
    Some more random thoughts about having straight hair:

That being said, I like the flexibility of being able to do heatless waves from braids, but I don't have to deal with having that type of texture all the time.

I wish I could find some bun styles that would result in nice loose curls once taken down, though I haven't really figured that out yet. A single nautilus bun just gives big, weird-ish looking lumps/waves.
    Same here, both my boyfriend and a friend have 3 type hair and I envy how their hair looks, but not the work they put in it lol. Straight is so laid back for me.
    As for buns that give you slight curls, have you tried a disc bun on damp hair? that's usually my go-to when I want some texture at the ends. There was also a hairstyle (I think it was TorrinPaige who did it) that consist in the beginning of a cinnabun, but you divide the lenght you have after doing the first coil, and do small pin curls with them and secure with bobby pins. It's nice, looks more complex than it actually is and you also get curls on the ends when you take it down. Oh another one I do is two big cocoon-knots (I think that's the name?) on each side, pretty low (like two hanging buns maybe?) it's comfortable and looks kinda cute too. Just a few ideas to try!
    2b ~ M/C ~ iii ~ Dark Brunnette ~ Hennahead ♥
    Goal is Classic Length braids(Achieved!)/FTL(Achieved!) -thickness is a plus-
    Current length: knee+ and growing

Length
    WL/FTL/FTL?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Autumn View Post
    May I join? My hair is pin straight and fine and silky.
    I always had issues with static, more so when I use cones.
    So happy I've found this thread! Looking forward to read it from the beginning now, a lot of useful advice here.
    I think I mentioned it in another thread (maybe even earlier in this one?) but one solution for static electricity is to use lotion on your hands and before it's completely absorbed, run your hands through your hair. I've tried that and it works, at least for awhile, though you might have to do it multiple times throughout the day.

Supposedly, using conditioner helps, though I haven't really noticed much of a difference for myself. I personally haven't figured out if certain products or ingredients in them make my hair more or less static-y.

Quote Originally Posted by Khristopher View Post
    Same here, both my boyfriend and a friend have 3 type hair and I envy how their hair looks, but not the work they put in it lol. Straight is so laid back for me.
    As for buns that give you slight curls, have you tried a disc bun on damp hair? that's usually my go-to when I want some texture at the ends. There was also a hairstyle (I think it was TorrinPaige who did it) that consist in the beginning of a cinnabun, but you divide the lenght you have after doing the first coil, and do small pin curls with them and secure with bobby pins. It's nice, looks more complex than it actually is and you also get curls on the ends when you take it down. Oh another one I do is two big cocoon-knots (I think that's the name?) on each side, pretty low (like two hanging buns maybe?) it's comfortable and looks kinda cute too. Just a few ideas to try!
    I haven't tried a disc bun before. The second hairstyle sounds interesting; I'll have to see if I can find a video tutorial for it. I do like the size of the waves/curls I get from double buns, but I've never gotten them to stay in very well after I take the buns out. I think it's because I usually end up doing that style when my hair is dry, or if I did it when my hair was damp, I didn't let it fully dry before taking the buns out.
    waist / hip / tailbone / classic / fingertip / knee / calf? / ankle? / floor? / terminal??
    knee by 2021?

Length
    Buzz/BUZZ/CBL

I've been wondering what the difference between 1b and 1c does anyone have photos of the two side by side?