Page 125 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1354

Thread: Straight and Silky Thread

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2a/2b/F/iii

Default Re: Straight and Silky Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pathetic View Post
    Have any other fine and silky haired folks tried the CO method? I've been super tempted to try it, and to also quit using 'cones.

However, I know I have a super sensitive scalp, so I don't want to do anything too drastic that would piss it off. I used a sulfate free shampoo for two weeks and it dried my scalp out and gave me flakes. I'm worried the same will happen if I stop using 'cones!

I've never tried CO washing and don't plan on it. I AM sulfate-free and silicone-free (I have a couple of conditioners that do contain silicone, just in case).

I've only ever tried one OGX shampoo: Cherry Blossom & Ginseng. I used it off and on for about a year a few years back but it did make me itchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Mystery View Post
    I've never tried CO washing and don't plan on it. I AM sulfate-free and silicone-free (I have a couple of conditioners that do contain silicone, just in case).

I've only ever tried one OGX shampoo: Cherry Blossom & Ginseng. I used it off and on for about a year a few years back but it did make me itchy.
    I've actually been CO washing for a few months (at least since I posted that, haha) with great success. I completely coat my hair and scalp in coconut oil before showering and using only my cheapo Suave conditioner, my hair is always soft and fluffy afterwards! It seems like a miracle, considering before when I used silicones my hair was completely flat and heavy.

I couldn't recommend CO washing enough for others with fine, limp hair.

Type
    2a/2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pathetic View Post
    I've actually been CO washing for a few months (at least since I posted that, haha) with great success. I completely coat my hair and scalp in coconut oil before showering and using only my cheapo Suave conditioner, my hair is always soft and fluffy afterwards! It seems like a miracle, considering before when I used silicones my hair was completely flat and heavy.

I couldn't recommend CO washing enough for others with fine, limp hair.
    I'm glad you reported back and that CO washing is working wonderfully for you!

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Phaleopnis, I've long wanted to be your hair twin!
    Mine used to be as board straight and silky, but slowly developed a hint of a wave over the last 15 years. This little bit of 1b wave makes a lot of difference. Right now I have way too many layers that I will cut off at some point. I would lose 8 or 10 inches were I to cut them off. Maybe I'll cut a few inches by December. Right now, all those layers make my braid waves look frizzy, not pretty at all.

Length
    ?/TBL/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Joining and reviving this thread because I want as much help and tips for having and taking care of straight hair! It seems there's a lot of focus on taking care of curly/wavy hair, which I know (not from first hand experience of course, just based on what I've read) requires more careful care and maintenance that's different than the mainstream which focuses on straight hair. My problem is, I NEVER cared about my hair at all so I have no clue what the "mainstream" care is. What do you put on your hair? How much product do you use on your hair? Do you have to use conditioner? Leave ins? Oils? Does it change depending on how long it is, or the time of year/weather?

My hair does tend to get dry if I don't do anything to it, so when I started trying to care of it I started using more conditioner. Then I also added leave-ins and deep treatments/masks, which seemed to help. Well, recently I discovered that it's possible to over-condition/moisturize hair, and my hair might have gotten to that point. So I just tried out just leaving out conditioner for the most part and only lightly applying it to the very very tips of my hair (like last 1-2 inches), and rinsing with ACV. It feels great! Now I'm wondering if I don't even need conditioner, which seems so contrary. Is less more with straight hair?
    Virginia from Virginia. Climber / fitness junkie trying to figure out how to grow out my hair and be active inside and outside everyday!

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by gin View Post
    Joining and reviving this thread because I want as much help and tips for having and taking care of straight hair! It seems there's a lot of focus on taking care of curly/wavy hair, which I know (not from first hand experience of course, just based on what I've read) requires more careful care and maintenance that's different than the mainstream which focuses on straight hair. My problem is, I NEVER cared about my hair at all so I have no clue what the "mainstream" care is. What do you put on your hair? How much product do you use on your hair? Do you have to use conditioner? Leave ins? Oils? Does it change depending on how long it is, or the time of year/weather?

Is less more with straight hair?
    For me it seems like this is the case, though I won't accept it I always use way too much conditioners, masks and leave-ins and regularly get back to heavy oils even though they really don't work too well for my hair. I deep condition once a week, use conditioner every wash (sometimes I do CWC, mostly during winter) and use leave-ins once or twice a week. I think leave-ins and oils (maybe lighter ones for me) are good for all lengths since they give some slip and protection from mechanical damage. The down side is probably that coated hair may attract lint which will create tangles unless your hair is up. My hair also eventually gets crunchy/dehydrated from oils and not washing twice a week. I'm not worried about over-conditioning since I can definitely feel it in my hair if it happens (stretchy, mushy and limp) and my hair is way more prone to protein buildup.

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

My hair does tend to get dry if I don't do anything to it, so when I started trying to care of it I started using more conditioner. Then I also added leave-ins and deep treatments/masks, which seemed to help. Well, recently I discovered that it's possible to over-condition/moisturize hair, and my hair might have gotten to that point. So I just tried out just leaving out conditioner for the most part and only lightly applying it to the very very tips of my hair (like last 1-2 inches), and rinsing with ACV. It feels great! Now I'm wondering if I don't even need conditioner, which seems so contrary. Is less more with straight hair?
    For me, less is more. I shampoo and condition once a week, no leave-ins, treatments, or oil.

I find a great difference between summer and winter hair. Winter hair = staticky hair so before I make the bun (which remains / is redone all day) I run damp hands down the length.

You know your hair. If you don't need conditioner, no reason to use it.

Length
    ?/TBL/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Cg View Post
    For me, less is more. I shampoo and condition once a week, no leave-ins, treatments, or oil.

I find a great difference between summer and winter hair. Winter hair = staticky hair so before I make the bun (which remains / is redone all day) I run damp hands down the length.

You know your hair. If you don't need conditioner, no reason to use it.
    Yeah, I'm convinced RE: the "less is more". Washed again today and did the same, just using conditioner on the very ends. For some reason it feels weird to just completely leave out conditioner, I don't know if I'm mentally ready for that yet, haha. Maybe next wash I'll do it! I do the ROO on my ends after shampooing and also add a little bit of argan oil to my ends on damp hair, and maybe that's enough for my ends to not dry out.

I'm curious what it will be like in the winter when it's far more dry. I didn't start paying attention to my hair until earlier this year after coldest months had already passed, so I really don't know what my hair will do. I'll try to remember your damp hands method when I get to that point.
    Virginia from Virginia. Climber / fitness junkie trying to figure out how to grow out my hair and be active inside and outside everyday!

Length
    WL/FTL/FTL?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Yeah, I'm convinced RE: the "less is more". Washed again today and did the same, just using conditioner on the very ends. For some reason it feels weird to just completely leave out conditioner, I don't know if I'm mentally ready for that yet, haha. Maybe next wash I'll do it! I do the ROO on my ends after shampooing and also add a little bit of argan oil to my ends on damp hair, and maybe that's enough for my ends to not dry out.

I'm curious what it will be like in the winter when it's far more dry. I didn't start paying attention to my hair until earlier this year after coldest months had already passed, so I really don't know what my hair will do. I'll try to remember your damp hands method when I get to that point.
    Reawakening (as opposed to reviving, since it's only been a few months since the last post) this thread because it's now static electricity season! Pre-LHC in the staticky winter days when I always wore my hair down, sometimes I'd go in the bathroom and run a damp paper towel over my hair in an attempt to tame the static.

Now I'm not having quite as many static problems because I'm wearing my hair up most of the time. Apparently running your hands over your hair just after using hand cream (but before it's completely absorbed) is another method to reduce static electricity. I tried it the other week and it sort of works, although I'm not sure if it's quite as effective as I'd hoped. I think I had to do it multiple times throughout the day.

I suppose I also agree with the "less is more" philosophy for straight hair although I haven't gone overboard with using a ton of products at once to know what that does my hair. I use shampoo and sometimes conditioner on the ends and that's pretty much it.
    waist / hip / tailbone / classic / fingertip / knee / calf? / ankle? / floor? / terminal??
    knee by 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by Elodea View Post

Now I'm not having quite as many static problems because I'm wearing my hair up most of the time. Apparently running your hands over your hair just after using hand cream (but before it's completely absorbed) is another method to reduce static electricity .
    Wow! I really need to test that out! I have flyaways all the time now, no matter what! Advice is greatly appreciated I've tried oil, leave-in conditioner, water...