Thread: Hair vs nails

Type
    1c/F/M/iii

Default Hair vs nails

I was just cutting and filing my nails and I realised that my hair and nails are sort of equal in terms of quality and texture, not looks. My hair is fine, but very supple and elastic. It doesn't split easily (but it does happen) or break. My nails are the same, the are fairly strong, but not very hard. The will give in to pressure and bend, but not break. The rarely chip, break or tear. My nails are now a bit longer than fingertip, but I can bend the tip of the nail down to touch the tip of the finger. No break or damage, it just bounces back into shape.

Anybody else have the same experience?
    October 2009, troll hair with braid waves.

Length
    shdr/waist/waist
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Last edited by lacereza; April 24th, 2012 at 07:46 AM.

Length
    baby/59"/60
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Nope. My hair is very fragile (but maybe that's because it's long but hasn't been taken great care of until a few months ago), but my fingernails are like iron. I do keep them very short, too, so maybe if they were longer they wouldn't seem quite as hard. But they're definitely thick.
    I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
    -Psalm 139:14

Length
    long/55.5/long
    Type
    2c/C/iii

Wow your nails are so flexible.Hmmm mine aren't so. I've got very hard nails,they can grow naturally very long and don't break at all. I honestly don't remember any breakage,they just are so thick and hard that they don't break but they're also not flexible,they stand like that like a rock. My hair is coarse too but not too much and ofcourse hair tends to break and split more than nails and my hair is not flexible too eek wish it was.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Hm, my nails used to be strong and grow super long, then start peeling. At the same time my hair was fragile and baby fine and super wispy.

Now that my virgin hair is growing in sleeker and more elastic, though more wispy, it feels stronger and thicker - and my nails are the opposite!

However, I chalk this up to not having a dishwasher in our new flat - we cook a lot and end up doing a lot of dishes by hand.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Type
    1c/F/M/iii

Hair and nails are made of the same "stuff", or isn't that right? Even though my nails are felxible, they're not super thin more medim I would say. And they grow fast and have a bright white tip, looks like I always have a french manicure.

katze, you should wear some rubber gloves while doing the dishes to protect your hands and nails.
    October 2009, troll hair with braid waves.

Length
    n/a/37"/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My hair is prone to splits and breakage, and my nails easily chip and breaks too. Lately I have started to massage coconut oil on my nails when I do a light oiling on my hair, and I think my nails are starting to look better - as well as my hair. I have also started to take brewers yeast, mostly for my hair and overall health. Now I have a bump on my nails that I'm sure coincides with the growth I've had since I started taking the yeast. It will be interesting to see if my nails gets stronger when this bump has reached the top of them. Then my recently grown hair is probably stronger too And in some years with brewers yeast, perhaps I'll get less split ends...

1c/2a/F/ii, current length 37"
    BCL (37") reached! Next minigoal: TBL (40"). Final goal: Terminal

Length
    21/34/36
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

My nails are too wimpy. They never get more than milimeters beyond the nail bed. They are very flexible and split easy.

The good news is that my hair (which I consider far more important) doesn't damage much. It seems quite easy to grow, maybe a little slow at times.