Thread: Scalp Help!

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Default Scalp Help!

Could any of you lovely ladies point me to some threads that offer help with either dry scalp flakies or dandruff. I'm honestly not sure which one I have. I've been using tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner for the last month and before that I was using Head and Shoulders for every other wash. I've not really seen any results.

Suggestions?
    Lady Ionides of the Springtime Blossoms in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Navi says "Hey Listen!"

Length
    waist/waist/tb
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Scalp Help!

AVC rinses worked really well on my scalp flakes and now I barely have them anymore.
    Lady Delgado of the Red Rose Tower in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/M/ii

If your not sure what it is you should get it checked out
    I thought i just had a bad case of dry scalp or dandruff on the left side of my head. turned out to be psoriasis
    I'm not saying that's what you have..but knowing for sure would help you know how to fix it . Dandruff shampoos have never really worked for me either.
    Last edited by Magicknthenight; March 22nd, 2009 at 10:54 PM.

Length
    Chin/27/Waist
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I have a flaky scalp (add extra shedding) whenever I use synthetic shampoos with SLS. Perhaps try a purely natural shampoo? I have recently gone back to Morrocco Method again, it has helped me in the past. There is also a shipment of Aubrey Organics coming in that I'm going to try.

Often flakes are not dandruff, I've been told. Everyone's scalp is different, but natural has worked for me.
    Feye

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by viking_quest View Post
    AVC rinses worked really well on my scalp flakes and now I barely have them anymore.
    I totally agree, and Head and Shoulders are not a good option for solving dandruff problems as they never work.

"Gorgeous hair is the best revenge"
    Ivana Trump

Length
    Pixie/Class/? ? ?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

My suggestion is that you first of all try to find out whether it is dryness flakes or dandruff, as the treatment is very different depending on which one it is.

With dryness, you need to moisturise your scalp and treat it very gently, like you would dry and stressed skin anywhere else on your body. First of all, you should avoid all harsh/drying shampoos and/or whatever else you put on your head. Baking soda would be bad, for instance.

If you have dandruff an anti-fungal shampoo or cream might help, but it's not going to do anything for you if your problem is due to dryness.

ETA-1: If your problem turns out to be a bad case of dandruff, "normal" store shampoos rarely ever help much. You'd need to go to a pharmacy/drug store to get a more "medical" shampoo. They are usually very efficient, but also rather costly, compare to normal 'poo.

ETA-2: You could perhaps check out the monistat thread. In the original thread on the old boards, a lot of people said it also helped with dry, itchy and flaky scalp.
    There might also be good tips in the Article section about natural products.
    Last edited by Silverlox; March 23rd, 2009 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Added the last part.
    Lady Anumati of the Moonlit Tresses
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    I'm not a complete idiot, - some parts are missing!

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Dandruff products never helped me. I struggled with flakes, crusts, itchiness, etc for YEARS, and I think coloring my hair made it worse too.

I also agree that you need to find out if it is dryness or something else.

Since coming to LHC I have found that:

1) regular sulfate shampooings (1x/week - 1x/month) help get my scalp clean and free of crusts and flakes, but;

2) my scalp needs gentle soothing moisture too. Honey (mostly in the form of SMTs, sometimes mixed with conditioner and sometimes as a scrub on its own) has helped a LOT. Because honey is antibacterial as well as humectant, it soothes my flakes and itching immediately.

3) vinegar rinses work, but not as well as good deep cleaning and good soothing honey treatments.

hth!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii