Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sodium coco sulfate?

Length
    15/15/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Question sodium coco sulfate?

Last time I bought shampoo, I decided to try something that would be SLS free. I found a shampoo that I thought was what I had been looking for. But now I finally read the incredients list properly and noticed that the shampoo has something called sodium coco sulfate. Now I'm wondering, is this stuff just as bad for my hair as regular SLS shampoo or could it be a more gently subsitute anyway?

As it used to be

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

Default Re: sodium coco sulfate?

I also use diluted shampoo with sodium coco sulfate and it seems to me a lot gentler than other sulfates. When I wash with the more common ones my hair feels really stripped afterwards, with my shampoo usually just soft and clean.
    At true tailbone!

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Sodium Coco Sulfate is a naturally derived alternative to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in flake form. Sodium Coco Sulfate is derived from pure coconut oil. It can be used in a wide variety of personal care applications in which viscosity building and foam characteristics are of importance. The product formulates similar to synthetic alkyl sulfates, but is less defatting to the hair and skin. SCS being less soluble than synthetic alkyl sulfates leaves the skin and hair with a conditioned feel.
    Source. Sounds better than SLS to me. I've used a shampoo bar from Lush with SCS, and didn't experience any of the scalp problems I get from SLS while using it.

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Naava View Post
    Last time I bought shampoo, I decided to try something that would be SLS free. I found a shampoo that I thought was what I had been looking for. But now I finally read the incredients list properly and noticed that the shampoo has something called sodium coco sulfate. Now I'm wondering, is this stuff just as bad for my hair as regular SLS shampoo or could it be a more gently subsitute anyway?
    It has the same exact safety warnings as SLS on the chemical fact sheets. General consensus is that it's a version of SLS (purification difference I think). If it works better for you then by all means use it, same for SLS too.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

would it still work as well as SLS but not be as bad for the environment?

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Sodium coco sulfate uses the same CAS identifier # as sodium lauryl sulfate. They are the exact same, the only difference is that sodium coco sulfate is diluted with coconut oil remnants.

Length
    15/15/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Thanks everyone for your answers

Sigh... I guess I need to keep trying to find a sls free shampoo. I really want to try one, even though this what I have works fine for me (I haven't had any problems with regular sls shampoos either). It was just a disappointment to find out that I bought something thinking it was different.

As it used to be

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Naava View Post
    Sigh... I guess I need to keep trying to find a sls free shampoo. I really want to try one, even though this what I have works fine for me (I haven't had any problems with regular sls shampoos either).
    I think you've found a SLS free shampoo already.

SCS is similar to SLS, but it's not the same. It's a detergent, but a different one. If you want to go totally sulfate/detergent free, then yes, you need a different one, but if you're happy with what you've got, no reason not to stick with it.

Length
    Short/BSL/??
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Roseate View Post

SCS is similar to SLS, but it's not the same. It's a detergent, but a different one. If you want to go totally sulfate/detergent free, then yes, you need a different one, but if you're happy with what you've got, no reason not to stick with it.

As others have already stated SCS is SLS. It's just diluted.
    Pegs

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Roseate View Post

I have researched SCS at length, and can assure you they are the same. Here are some older threads if you want to read up:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...9&postcount=12
    whole thread of above post: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...m+coco+sulfate
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...1&postcount=31
    whole thread of above linked post: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...m+coco+sulfate

Both SLS and SCS are derived from coconut oil, but not many people know that about SLS. Thus, when saying something is "SCS", they go, "It comes from coconut oil!!!!1one" as if it were special. Knowing what I do about chemicals, I sensed a bit of, well, bullsh*t, for lack of a better term, and thus the research began, which is why I know all this nonsense. I've also consulted with chemists on the matter (including the Beauty Brains, but not limited to), and they concur with my conclusions.