Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't know if I should cut??

Length
    20/51.5/??
    Type
    3a/M/iii

Question I don't know if I should cut??

Hi!! I wanted to ask for your expert opinions on if I should trim/cut. I am at TB length, and haven't trimmed in about a year. My hairdresser says I need AT LEAST 3-4" taken off since I waited so long, and my ends are very dry, etc. I really hate to sacrifice that much length, and honestly, I'd just prefer to leave it alone for a while longer. I do have some split ends, but overall my hair seems thick and healthy. What should I do? Take her advice and cut it, or just leave it be? Is it ok to not trim for a long period of time? Will it stop growing if I do??

I've attached a photo as well.

Thanks so much for your help and advice!

Length
    5"/Class/Class
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: I don't know if I should cut??

I think I would give those ends some loving moisture before I trimmed off 4". At least in your picture they look great, but I know that having them actually in your hands can make a difference. Since I don't have your hairtype I will let other people help you with exactly what to try but... maybe you can save it and teach your hairdresser some more about hair care in the process.

Beautiful hair, by the way!
    <a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/homekeepinggran/ChineseBun.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ChineseBun.jpg</a> But if a woman have long hair it is a glory to her. ~ I Cor. 11:15

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Hairdressers want your business. I say try some moisture treatments and some TLC. There is no rule about how often you must trim. Trimming only gets rid of splits and / or evens up your hemline. If you need neither of those remedies, then there is no need to trim. Trimming does not encourage growth either. I say leave it be. It's gorgeous!

Your hair is gorgeous! I love your thickness and gentle waves.

I am all for trimming but I would take a max of an inch off your hair. I just don't think you need a major chop; your hair looks in great condition.

And word to the wise, I wouldn't let your hairdresser do the trim if she thinks you need that much taken off.
    No matter how much I try to be plain, people don't accept me, so I might as well be fabulous.
    -Austin Scarlett.

Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

I agree with lots of moisture treatments in the meantime and see if that helps.

Other than that, stunning hair. I mean Wow.
    Back after a loooonnngg hiatus. 🌷Going Gray

Length
    ears/36.5/Knees
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I think that her 4 inches, was only to get rid of the severe Vshape you have. If you like it I would maybe just have her dust the ends, or do it yourself. A Search and destroy mission may be just what you need.

If I was you, I would clarify leaving off the conditioner or any other products, and see if you need moisture, or protein, or maybe both. Then apply what ever treatment you choose. Then let air dry completely, and S&D the splits. If you think you have too many splits, just dust the very ends a bit. I bet it would help alot. If not you can always go to the hairdresser and have her trim it up later?

I have not been to the hair dresser for about 2 years, and I have mid (_!_) length hair. Unless you have damage that is tangling your undamaged hair and making more damage, you do not need to cut or trim regularly. At least in my opinion.

*** as a side note: if you trim your hair make sure you use very sharp scissors, that are used only on hair. If you use dull ones, or ones with wonky blades you will be creating more damage.
    Last edited by CindyLea1; February 16th, 2009 at 12:39 PM.

Account Closed by Member Request

I think your hair looks great, it appears from your photo, that the hairdresser is trying to even up your ends. I think it looks fine.

I had a hairdresser tell me the same thing when I went in for a microtrim, he wanted to trim it all up to make it even, I was like "no way dude, I like it the way it is"

He then made me an appointment 3 months later without my knowledge and I was shocked when they called me to *confirm* my appointment. I simply said, "I'll call when I need a trim" But in all reality, I will NOT be going back there, he was trying to get me to cut more than I wanted and trying to get me to buy all kinds of shampoos, conditioners and even lotion.

I hate being pressured, it's a hassle and unnecessary. I told hubs that when I need a trim, he is helping me. He just loved that idea haha

Your hair looks awesome, I think you should do what YOU want to do with it!

Length
    21/47.5/?
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

I agree with the others that your hair looks great in the picture!

Even if there really are split ends that you can see, it's easy just to snip the individual ones (search and destroy) and give your bottom 4 inches some TLC in the form of moisture treatment after clarifying, if necessary.

A number of people on this board haven't trimmed for a year or longer (some for over 10 years) with no consequences apart from getting to keep all their growth . Check out the No-Trimming Club link in my siggy for more info.

If you really want to trim your hair, 4 inches at once is too much, in my opinion. Often, just 1/2" or 1" is quite enough to improve the condition and appearance of hair.

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I wouldn't trim! maybe add moisture but that is it. Trim when you are ready, not when your hairdresser wants you to; and no your hair won't stop growing if you don't trim. My hair is doign what your ends are right now. Your pict gives me hope my ends will look that great in a V shape naturally
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Idiopathic Subgenius Xandergrammy's Avatar
    Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I think your hair is gorgeous. I wouldn't trim at all if I were you. Baby your hair with moisture and ignore the hairdresser.

Avatar picture is Mystic Mermaid byJessica Galbreth Copyright 2006
    Proud vice leader of the Renegrays -Pictures!