Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair thickness categories?

Inadvertent Tech Support snowbear's Avatar
    Length
    42/Short/N/A
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Default Re: Hair thickness categories?

I think that there is more of a need for a iiii category than there is for further breakdowns of the existing categories. When someone says they have iii hair, and it turns out to be 4", I feel--I dunno, frustrated? I know I'm in no way one of the thickest-haired people here, but even with my 5"+, I feel that so many times when I see someone with iii hair, it's nowhere near mine.

The formerly mythical snowbear is alive and well.
    Be smarter, daily!

Length
    TB/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
    I think that there is more of a need for a iiii category than there is for further breakdowns of the existing categories. When someone says they have iii hair, and it turns out to be 4", I feel--I dunno, frustrated? I know I'm in no way one of the thickest-haired people here, but even with my 5"+, I feel that so many times when I see someone with iii hair, it's nowhere near mine.

This is true. I feel silly saying my 4" hair is iii, but technically it is.
    “I always find it more difficult to say the things I mean than the things I don't.”
    ― W. Somerset Maugham, The Painted Veil

Length
    less/long/more
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by cobblersmaid View Post
    I agree that it will be confusing unless we simply but the measurement.
    Uh-huh. It's not intended to be complex or scientific...
    I think that there is more of a need for a iiii category than there is for further breakdowns of the existing categories.
    snowbear does have a point though.
    "All of life is a foreign country" (Jack Kerouac, 1949).
    "I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." (Albert Einstein)

Length
    TB/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

[QUOTE=Beatnik Guy;459779]Uh-huh. It's not intended to be complex or scientific...

I know, I just meant that all these things people are bringing up will be an issue no matter what unless we just say the exact number. I am personally fine with the system now.
    “I always find it more difficult to say the things I mean than the things I don't.”
    ― W. Somerset Maugham, The Painted Veil

Length
    15"/37"/??
    Type
    2b/C/ii/iii

I think I was the first person in the other thread who actually mentioned that breaking the thickness classifier down might make it more useful. If I'd know what a ruckus it would cause...

I don't see what would be that confusing about breaking the thickness down further. All I was suggesting--and all that I see the OP of this thread as suggesting--was that the system continue to work exactly as it does now but with more categories. A category per inch or something like that (1" maximum=i, 1"-2"=ii, 2"-3"=iii) seems like it would give people a much better idea of who's close to them in thickness. People who are near the border or who want to account for bangs could still list themselves as two categories (i/ii, ii/iii, etc.). That's all I was envisioning. But if even that will confuse people, then I suppose it's better to leave it as it is.

The easiest option, really, is just to list your exact circumference in your sig, if you're concerned about being accurate. *points downward at sig*

2b/C 3.75"-4.25" circumference. Henna addict.
    Blog and most pictures are private. Feel free to friend me for access.

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

But following your argument, an ii person with 3"+ could feel just as frustrated at seeing another ii who has "only 2" ...

If it really needs changing, simplest would definitely be to give the actual measurement, which needs no interpretation.

© GRD, 3 March 2007

Length
    20in/32in/52in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

The thing is, that then if it is just the actual inch measurement, many would not post it. Especially the very fine/thin hairs. There is a feeling of safety in the range. Some are just too embarrassed by how thin their hair is or has become to post it. I know that it is only an issue when trying to find others with like hair, and that can be frustrating. I don't have an answer, but I wish that the ii range weren't so large, that is the one in which I have been having trouble finding like haired members. But then if I were in the solid iii range, I would probably have trouble with it too.

I kind of like the idea of i=1-1.9 ii=2-2.9 iii=3-3.9 iiii=4-4.99 and so one. It is still somewhat anonymous but not so large of a range that we get lost trying to find each other. I know that folks would have to update, but many would feel good about it, most at least wouldn't feel worse. Just

On the edge of my forest!

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LisaJaney View Post
    As someone with thin hair (barely into the ii category), if there were iv and v categories, I'd want to curl up and die. I personally would lean towards just saying (for the way-thick-hair people) "iii+" or something like "iii - 5in", so that you'd get full credit for all that hair. That way, we're still playing within the same system that other sites use (I remember when we "adopted" that typing system, and I recall borrowing things from other places to put it together. But maybe we borrowed the whole dang thing; my memory ain't what it used to be, and probably never was!)

This could all just be my insane jealousy talking, though...
    If we borrowed the system from elsewhere, and use the same system as the other long hair boards, I figure we should stay on the same standard. Having "iii" mean something different hear than it does at any other long hair board would be confusing, both for new members here coming from other boards, and for LHCers going elsewhere.

If more detail is needed (and I doubt it is - the point is to give people a ballpark idea of what we're talking about in a rather subjective situation, not to collect scientific statistics) then perhaps subcatagories, the way we do with curl levels? That started out as 1, 2, 3, but then was broken down into 1a, 1b, 1c, etc. So ia, ib, iia, iib, etc. That would keep the Roman numerals the same as across the rest of the long-hair sites, but also allow for more information, if desired.
    I am opting out of the "Friends" system. All requests will be declined.
    Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Ezekiel 23:20

Length
    15"/37"/??
    Type
    2b/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    If more detail is needed (and I doubt it is - the point is to give people a ballpark idea of what we're talking about in a rather subjective situation, not to collect scientific statistics) then perhaps subcatagories, the way we do with curl levels? That started out as 1, 2, 3, but then was broken down into 1a, 1b, 1c, etc. So ia, ib, iia, iib, etc. That would keep the Roman numerals the same as across the rest of the long-hair sites, but also allow for more information, if desired.
    Oh, I like this idea!

2b/C 3.75"-4.25" circumference. Henna addict.
    Blog and most pictures are private. Feel free to friend me for access.

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LisaJaney View Post
    This could all just be my insane jealousy talking, though...
    I'll trade you for a day!

I really would like to be able to do that lovely poofy/gibsony thing you can do when you put your hair up. Or a French twist. I've never been able to do a French twist.

And you can take the stiff neck I've had all day...
    I am opting out of the "Friends" system. All requests will be declined.
    Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Ezekiel 23:20