Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coloring hair?

Question Coloring hair?

I love to mess with hair dye, but I'm afraid it will damage my hair (and then it won't be long an healthy! Oh no!)

I never use permanent dyes, only semi-permanent...and my hair is naturally oily...but will dying my hair end up frying it and/or making split ends?

I want to dye it, but I want it to be healthy...is this not a win-win situation?

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Coloring hair?

Well, the obvious option would be henna. You only get one color, though, and you can't dye over it (unless you're magic). I also never liked it. It had this really unfortunate thickening effect on my hair, so I kind of looked like Little Orphan Annie for a while.

There are some nice semi-permanents out there (and of course, I cannot provide you with any specific examples because I suck.) Obviously, you're going to encounter some damage, and semi-permanent color isn't going to dramatically alter your color. For example, in the eighth grade, I really wanted to be blonde. My mother bought me a box of SP hair dye, and it turned out red.
    Basically, SP dyes coat the hair, and permanents actually lift the cuticle and seep into the little nucleus there.

All that said, you can also check the natural recipes section of the board. They have some good tips on changing your color with things like honey that aren't going to hurt your hair.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Type
    2a/C/iii

Many people here colour their hair, there are lots of threads on the subject.Also many don't. Personally I have stopped because I didn't like the condition of my hair after dyeing/bleaching. I don't know about semi-permanents, I know they're supposed to be less damaging but that may not be true.
    "The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself" - Rita Mae Brown

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Well it kind of depends. What color do you want? Lighter or darker than your natural color? Is it something you want to play with all the time and experiment, or alter the color and touch it up?

If you want to bleach out your hair and dye it crazy colors every week, then yes, you're going to fry the living hell out of it.

If you want to achieve a color and maintain the roots, that is better and you still have the potential to have some pretty darn nice hair. If you're dying your hair darker or similar in shade to your natural color, that's even better yet as it requires less peroxide to remove your base color.

So there are a lot of variables to consider

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

If your talking about semi permanent i dont see a lot of problem. you wont use bleach and you wont use a high peroxide value... it also depends a lot on your hair type. Some can handle it and some dont... but even so, again, semi permanent dont seam too harsh. if you use it, use ammonia free
    .~~~. :*: Bárbara :*: .~~~.

Length
    chin/waist/clssc
    Type
    3a/3b/C/ii/iii

I have noticed that dying always damages my hair, but on the long run.
    I'm going for virgin hair now, so I will see if it really makes a difference.
    I personally think you have to make a choice between long and healthy hair, or short and colored hair.

Of course it also depends on your hair type (: and a couple times of exerpimenting with dye, wouldn't ruin your hair totally(:

Length
    WL/TBL+/TBL++
    Type
    3c/M/iii

Henna is good for your hair, but has a limited colour range from orange to auburn depending on your hair colour and how long you keep it. you can add boxus or indigo to make the colour brown or black. there is another plant called cassia for blond hair as well.
    It's not true that you can not dye over henna. you can do anything if the henna is natural and no chemicals are added to it.
    check this out: http://www.hennaforhair.com

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    short/15"/23"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

My opinion as a professional stylist is that all color damages hair to a certain degree, but that degree varies on your hair and what it can handle and what you use on it. Semis or demis are much more gentle than others but you will still get some damage. I do color my hair, about every 6-8 weeks, but I use a demipermanent and my hair can take it. Any breakage I have is leftover from highlighting I had done about a year ago.

Posterchild for Monistat
    Length
    1"/26"/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by White_Rabbit View Post
    I love to mess with hair dye, but I'm afraid it will damage my hair (and then it won't be long an healthy! Oh no!)

I never use permanent dyes, only semi-permanent...and my hair is naturally oily...but will dying my hair end up frying it and/or making split ends?

I want to dye it, but I want it to be healthy...is this not a win-win situation?

You love to mess with hair dyes but you never used them??? What do you use then to color your hair??
    Makeup Tutorials for the brave and colorful
    View the Monistat Tutorial
    here
    My Hair Blog:
    http://suicideseve.blogspot.com

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by suicides_eve View Post
    You love to mess with hair dyes but you never used them??? What do you use then to color your hair??
    She said she has only used SEMI-permanent but not permanent.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil