Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit the bullet - trimmed the layers off

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Bit the bullet - trimmed the layers off

ugh!!! I'm glad I did it, but you know how much it hurts to lose length. I was following a trim only on the 24th of each month rule, since I tend to get OCD with uneven ends, damage, etc. I washed it yesterday and when it dried, it was so obvious that there was a 3 inch step between the longest layer, which had been shoulder length and the side pieces which were almost chin length. Since I am growing out damage and dye, and it was the 24th of the month, I decided it was better to even it out now while it was still short and it will be easier to grow out dye demarcation lines than keep waiting and obsessing over it. That 3 inch step was just bothering the heck out of me, so I did my first really major trim since I started growing out from pixie a year and a half ago (the other trims were micro-trims). I probably took off 2.5 inches from the back so that it more evenly meets the side pieces. I can still get most of it into a pony tail, and in 4 months, the hemline should all hit shoulder. I'm glad that the layers are almost all gone now, and the style looks cute and feminine, but I'm bummed because now it's going to take till summer-time to get the length back. It's just that trade-off when you're growing out layers and damage but you want it healthy and long and all one length/color NOW - sigh.

Lady Nereida of the Riptide Shores - LHK
    Renegray: Silver Hair is a Sparkling Diadem

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Bit the bullet - trimmed the layers off

A lot of the damage is gone so I imagine it will grow back faster than you imagine. The lack of damage on the ends makes for an enormous jump in growth rate, as I have experienced.

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Congratulations on making the leap! I envy you the nice clean ends you must have now!

I'm still trying to decide when to do that myself- my layers are also about 3" apart, and I'm just past shoulder, so if I was to cut now I'd be in that awkward land between ear and shoulder... I think I'll wait until the layers are all past shoulder and then go for it. My layers are all razory and some days I think I'll just do it... but then I remember how my hair goes all triangle-shaped when it's shorter than shoulder without layers and I make myself wait.

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I just keep telling myself how soft and silky it's going to look and feel when all the bleach damge is GONE!

And I just used my Amazon gift card on an order of Mega-tek, so it will be interesting to see if that speeds up the regrowth.

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I'm sure it was tough to cut but now it will be healthier as it grows out.

A new beginning.

Posterchild for Monistat
    Length
    1"/26"/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

before my hair hit shoulder length is when most of my big chops came into play, i had that pixie mullet i was dying to get rid of.. since then i was doing regular small trims but stopped in sept '08 and haven't trimed since.
    Makeup Tutorials for the brave and colorful
    View the Monistat Tutorial
    here
    My Hair Blog:
    http://suicideseve.blogspot.com

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I did that too as mine was growing and even though it took longer to grow it out now it is almost all totally one length and I am SO glad I did it. Good for you!!!

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    CBL/APL+/x/n"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Oh, your hair will be in much better health now and probaly looks darling. Isn't it better to have a cute shape (to the hair) and clean ends than to have long scruffies? It will grow back with a vengence so to speak.

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Yeah - it's easier to leave it alone and grow it out when I like the general shape & style - and it's easier to just do it now and get it over with, than to agonize over losing length once it gets longer.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

good for you! As someone with similar issues, I would do the same thing if my taper weren't so even throughout my length.

It's nice to feel like your hair is 'happy' and getting rid of old damage is an excellent way to do this.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii