Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almond Oil?

Length
    14shr/32hip/39cls
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Almond Oil?

I searched, but couldn't find any info on it. I just got a bottle of this a few days ago at WF since I hadn't tried it before and wanted to. Who has used it before, and how? Does it work well with other ingredients/oils?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Length
    14/26.5/Hip +
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Almond Oil?

Hi ~GypsyCurls~,

Almond oil is one of my favorite oils.

When I use it as a heavy oiling treatment, the result (after washed out and when hair is dry) is that my hair is very shiny with a lot of bounce.

During the winter when I don't want to use straight coconut oil on my hair (as a leave in) due to the cold, I mix almond with coconut oil to make a coconut butter leave in. The ratio for this is approx. 70% coconut oil to 30% almond oil.

This is how I make my butter: lightly melt the coconut oil in a pan on low heat, then add the almond oil and mix well. Put it in a jar or tupperware of your choice, and put it in the fridge for a little while, until solidified. It will remain a smooth buttery texture a room temperature afterwards.

HTH

Length
    15/26/31
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I have Elemis Almond oil blended in with Japanese Camellia oil and it works wonderfully for my hair. (dry damaged fine) It is an aromatherapy oil but far superior in results to any other oil I've used on my hair.

Length
    14shr/32hip/39cls
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

During the winter when I don't want to use straight coconut oil on my hair (as a leave in) due to the cold, I mix almond with coconut oil to make a coconut butter leave in. The ratio for this is approx. 70% coconut oil to 30% almond oil.

This is how I make my butter: lightly melt the coconut oil in a pan on low heat, then add the almond oil and mix well. Put it in a jar or tupperware of your choice, and put it in the fridge for a little while, until solidified. It will remain a smooth buttery texture a room temperature afterwards.

HTH
    I am definitely going to try this! Lately, coconut oil by itself has not been enough of a leave-in for me. I have lots left though so I will do the mix with almond oil. Do you find that you had any definition, or did you still need to use another product for that? I have been looking for a leave-in conditioning cream that will give me some hold. Thanks for the info!

I have Elemis Almond oil blended in with Japanese Camellia oil and it works wonderfully for my hair. (dry damaged fine) It is an aromatherapy oil but far superior in results to any other oil I've used on my hair.
    That sounds devine! I have never tired camellia oil, it sounds lovely...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

My son has waist length hair and I use Almond oil regularly on his hair. He like the fact that is does not smell like anything. But it brings a nice shine to his hair, and also helps with split ends. I use it as a leave in on him.

P.S. I find that I like Almond oil better for cooking then olive oil. The almond oil does not take
    over the taste of what ever I am cooking.
    Last edited by Catladyintown; January 16th, 2009 at 04:39 PM.

Length
    14shr/32hip/39cls
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Catladyintown View Post
    My son has waist length hair and I use Almond oil regularly on his hair. He like the fact that is does not smell like anything. But it brings a nice shine to his hair, and also helps with split ends. I use it as a leave in on him.

P.S. I find that I like Almond oil better for cooking then olive oil. The almond oil does not take
    I love the soft scent of almond oil, love the taste of almonds! I have been wondering if it's good for cooking...I didn't know what kind of flavor it would impart/what kind of dishes it would be best with. I'm so used to always using olive oil!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Length
    14/26.5/Hip +
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Do you find that you had any definition, or did you still need to use another product for that? I have been looking for a leave-in conditioning cream that will give me some hold.
    The texture of your hair will be the same as with any other leave in oil. So, no hold, just softness and moisture.

That's a great idea, olive oil is so strong in flavor.

Isn't interesting that all the posters so far are curlies/wavies! I guess almond oil works well for this type of hair.
    Last edited by Misha; January 16th, 2009 at 04:55 PM.

Length
    24"/28''/37"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I was just thinking about almond oil today! I've never used it but, was thinking it might be nice in a homemade brown sugar scrub. I assumed it had a scent though.
    Lady Arnemetia of the sweeping winds in the order of the long haired knights

Length
    14shr/32hip/39cls
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Isn't interesting that all the posters so far are curlies/wavies! I guess almond oil works well for this type of hair.
    That is interesting, I didn't notice until you pointed that out!

I was just thinking about almond oil today! I've never used it but, was thinking it might be nice in a homemade brown sugar scrub. I assumed it had a scent though.
    That's a good idea. I've been thinking about making a scrub with honey and sugar, but the honey might be sticky. Almond oil may work better IMO. To me, almond oil has a scent but it's *very* subtle. Scent will probably depend on what kind of almond oil you have, though. I'm sure other brands are more fragrant than the one I have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Length
    ~20"/45"/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Of the oils I have tried so far, sweet almond oil has been my favorite. I just like the way it feels in my hair. I found that coconut oil made my hair feel too lank and clumpy. Jojoba oil was better but didn't leave my hair as smooth and soft. I have used Moroccan Oil and it is nice, but it's a combo oil which also contains cones, so it's a real slick feeling oil and not as heavily moisturizing. I like the almond best. It gives me nice soft hair and absorbs well into my hair w/o leaving it oily like coconut.

Proud member of the Renegray Gang