Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice about wearing hair "down".

Length
    Short/22"/APL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Need advice about wearing hair "down".

I would like to be able to wear my hair down more when I get dressed up, but it seems that after a short while, it looks "disheveled" as my DH tenderly told me one day (and he is very kind and not at all critical, so don't be concerned.) I am a complete neophyte when it comes to "hair products". Is there something safe that I could put on my hair, that wouldn't make it crunchy that would help keep my hair looking a bit more like I had just brushed it?

hippie in a redneck world naomimcc's Avatar
    Length
    chin/?/?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i

Default Re: Need advice about wearing hair "down".

The only way I have found to deal with that as I have the same problem is to lightly comb it /brush it once an hour or so.

If anyone else has any solutions I'd be open to hearing about them too!

Length
    APL/26/???
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

The best thing I can suggest is to wear i down but with a headband, or with 2 small braids done at the front of your hair and tied together at the back, or just simply grabbing a small chunk from each side and clipping it at the back, you know like half up except its nowhere near half. That way your hair is still down but will move alot less.

I tend to do this otherwise Im combing it every hour, my wavy hair becomes a very scary sight when I wear it down all day without doing one of these things.
    Last edited by Kebbster; January 16th, 2009 at 08:19 AM.

Length
    18/18/40
    Type
    3b/M/ii

I have the same problem, and I find that wearing it half up half down is really helpful. For days when I am wearing it completely down and it is starting to look crazy, I grab it all in one hand and twist it like I am about to put it up, then I let it go. It usually smooths out my hair nicely. The hard part is keeping my hands off of it afterward so I don't mess it up more, because my instinct is to always be fixing it.
    Every day is Thursday.

I wear my hair down the day I wash and the next. After washing I brush in some Pantene Always Smooth Anti Frizz serum. My hair stays in place so nicely.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My advice is just to comb frequently. Or you can make sure it's back from your face and just let it go piece-y, if that's what your hair does. Mine gets like that really fast, and while I don't care for the look as much as fresh-combed (straight to slightly wavy) hair, I've found that other people like hair that forms strings and chunks.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

yep, I comb too. It is hard to see in person when it goes stringy instead of piece-y, but photos definitely show strings!

It's also hard to remember to have a comb with you all the time.

I generally wear my hair down on the first couple days after a wash, and have some leave-in in the length (ears down) mixed with aloe or hair gel, which does seem to help. After days 2-3 it just goes stringy no matter what and that's when I start wearing it up (or half up).
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I have to comb mine frequently also. I also drink a lot of water and need to have a bathroom break frequently, so I comb while I'm in the bathroom.

Length
    21/34/36
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

I'm a CO person for the most part, but I know that my hair needs to be clairified when it starts to tangle and mat up in the back.

After a clairification it doesn't tangle as bad.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

I wear my hair down most of the time and the problem you describe, IMO, starts with washing/conditioning. If you have the right balance for you and a cut/trim that goes with your hair (you are not trying to fight your natural curl or waves), your hair should just fall into line.

I have had a trim that was in the middle of a wave pattern, ending up with my ends goiing the opposite direction of planned, lol but it quickly grew in.