Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Static

Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default Static

I am having trouble with static. My old way to handle static was to spray the brush or comb with hair spray.

I have done this now a few times but then it occured to me that hairspray on my natural hair brush might be bad for it.

Not to mention hair spray on my hair.

What can I do for the static that is good for my hair?

(BTW, to describe what I am dealing with, my hair is longer then my profile pic, it is almost to bra strap level now. My routine is one of the following:

condition (with noncone conditioner) on the ends
    wash the scalp
    rinse that out
    Rinse with Baking Soda diluted in water
    Rinse that out.
    use a cone conditioner
    rinse that out
    White vinegar rinse (about 1/2 oz for 16 oz water)
    rinse that out

Or, if my hair has gone too long between washes and is rather dirty:
    Wash scalp
    Rinse out
    Baking Soda rinse
    Rinse out
    Condition length (sometimes with cones sometimes without it varies)
    Rinse out
    Vinegar rinse
    Rinse out.

My hair is fine in texture. I do not use any heat to dry it. I do not comb it after I wash it until it is dry. I finger comb it while it dries, then braid it and go to bed. The next morning when it is dry, I finger comb, then brush with a natural bristle brush.

This is when I am getting the static but sometimes it is statically before I take the brush to it.

Length
    27"/23"/32"
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Static

Hi XeniaR,

I would suggest discontinuing the use of baking soda; it will totally strip your hair. Using it at every wash could be way too much. If you wish to use it to clarify, I'd only suggest every 6 mo. with an intensive moisturizing leave'in after. Just my

Sometimes after I comb I have the static head so I use a spray bottle with distilled water and that makes a huge difference. Using a leave in helps and when I remist throughout the day the leave'in is reactivated. Also after I apply hand lotion I will sometimes run my hands over my hair to settle it down. Running a humidifier is another suggestion. I've eliminated oils until summer because they seem to make matters worse for me. The hairspray tends to dry my hair even more so I quit using it to eliminate my static. My DD uses a dryer sheet over her hair, but I'm not sure about the residue if any that it may be leaving behind.

Good Luck!

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I've had pretty good luck with Kimberlily's Defrizz Spray knocking down static.

That and damp bunning and wearing it up constantly seem to have done the trick.

ETA: Oh, I just noticed that you use a cone conditioner. I found that cones made my static problem horrible. Haven't used them in over a year and my hair is unbelievably better behaved.
    Last edited by Islandgrrl; January 14th, 2009 at 04:40 PM.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    baby/59"/60
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Using a horn comb will help decrease static. At least, I've never had static when using my horn comb.
    I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
    -Psalm 139:14

Length
    15"/BSL/hip
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I have the same problem, & my hair is also fine & thin. So I am watching your replies with interest. I have tried a drier sheet before but I didn't like the gunk that it left on my hair, made it feel dirty or something.

Also it is worse if I have on a sweater & try to brush my hair - my hair stands on end, LOL. and is just uncontrolable!

Last edited by wintersun99; February 20th, 2010 at 12:40 AM.

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Static is usually due to lack of moisture, so I have to agree with the others here. The baking soda is most likely just too much, especially since you are a fine hair. Then the cones lock out the moisture as well. You probably don't need the vinegar rinses as often either. And personally, I would ditch the brush. Just my

Length
    26/waist/tb
    Type
    2a/F/ii

This year Iīve had no problem with static. I donīt know whether itīs because I co or if itīs because Iīve started to oil my hair. It works, though.

Oh, and donīt rub your hair against a balloon...
    (sorry, been playing with my daughter)

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I oil and wear my hair up (it's better for my hair anyway). I use a wooden comb.
    BUT
    I noticed that the flyaways and static also depends on what I'm wearing. Fleece pullover = very static, cotton pullover = way less static. Generally, natural fibers (OK, except for wool) are less static than man-made fabrics. Having to wear a hat/cap now in winter makes my hair yuck - the bangs stick to my head, but I have lots of shorter hair which are charged and flyaway. I cannot wait for spring and sommer...

Length
    18/43/60
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

I agree. I use either jojoba oil or an indian hair oil on the length (not the roots) after washing. I just put a little in my hand (a few drops, no more!), rub my hands together, then rub them down over and under my damp hair. Then I comb and style. No more frizzies! Plus, it is not heavy or greasy. Just nice waves.