Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: braces and headgear -- help needed for hair

Somewhat South of the cheese, where the wind blows and the corn grows

Default braces and headgear -- help needed for hair

I have a long haired child who is about to get braces, complete with headgear. (I didn't realize anyone ever used headgear anymore!) We realized this morning that headgear rubs the back of the head! Do we need to be concerned about hair matting? Are there ways to protect and prevent tangles and damage while working with cloth headband rubbing, etc. for a large number of hours every day (and night)? Our puppy tends to matt on the side she likes to lie on if we're not diligent with keeping her snarl-free, (die-hard long-hairs, complete with long haired dog!) so we realize this could really become an issue. Any veterans out there? Any mamas? Any suggestions?

Thank you,
    WritingMum

P.S. If you have thoughtful encouragement (for the one getting braces) you would like to include in your reply, it would be welcomed and appreciated by the long haired child in question.

P. P.S. Hooray! This is my 100th post!
    Last edited by WritingMum; January 8th, 2009 at 10:28 AM.
    WritingMum

If you have hair, it's a good hair day.

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: braces and headgear -- help needed for hair

Could you maybe make a silk/satin 'sleeve' for the part that will rub against her hair? It could make tangles/damage less likely.

As for the child in question... This too shall pass... promise.
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Length
    shldr/MBAv2/trml
    Type
    2c/M/ii

That sleeve idea is a good one. It might be worth experimenting to see if it's possible to wear the hair in different styles beneath it so it's not always rubbing the same spot.

To the child I'd say remember the positive:
    You'll have a beautiful smile
    You will be able to bite and chew neatly
    You will be able to pronounce sounds better
    You are going to be wearing them at an age when a lot of people do so it won't be as traumatic as it will if you decide that you really need to do it 10 years from now.
    Your parents are paying for it, not you!
    Make sure you brush your teeth!

ETA: WritingMum congratulations on 100 posts.

Length
    20in/32in/52in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

Yes find something to cover the headgear where it might rub! I work with kids that have rubbed bald spots on their heads due to helmets and other issues. They simply have "epilated" their hair off. Use something as slippery as possible to prevent rubbing and catching hair. Good luck!

On the edge of my forest!

Posterchild for Monistat
    Length
    1"/26"/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

i had braces for 4 years and the bigest thing was tylenol and bruch and floss. It is very painful to have them tighten or added on always take a pain reliver about and hour before and so on to help the pain. stick to soft foods for that day.

brush and floss. it can leave those little white marks on your teeth that can't be lighten. not to mention cavities are easiyer to get b/c the food can get trapped.

not trying to bring the negitive up.. but these are facts i dealt with.
    now i have a lovely smile and i'm not scared to wear it
    Makeup Tutorials for the brave and colorful
    View the Monistat Tutorial
    here
    My Hair Blog:
    http://suicideseve.blogspot.com

Daughter of the King WritingPrincess's Avatar
    South of the cheese, not quite out of the corn.
    Length
    SL/41"/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

WritingMum, my recommendation is to give your daughter the butterfinger in the candy jar before she gets the braces.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLonghair View Post
    Yes find something to cover the headgear where it might rub! I work with kids that have rubbed bald spots on their heads due to helmets and other issues. They simply have "epilated" their hair off. Use something as slippery as possible to prevent rubbing and catching hair. Good luck!
    Would silk be slippery enough? I have a lot of silk scarves.

Yes, I'm the one getting the headgear. Don't know why Mommy didn't come out and say so.
    Last edited by WritingPrincess; January 8th, 2009 at 09:21 PM.
    "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."
    ~ John 8:11

Length
    22/28/waist
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I wonder if this product would be helpful. It's the first thing that came to my mind.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=18235
    Lady Elphaba, The Wicked Witch of the West in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

If it's smooth silk (not "raw silk"), it might be slippery enough.

Good luck, WritingPrincess. I haven't had to deal with headgear, but hopefully it won't be too bad, nor last too long. Take care of the teeth, and be careful around crunchy foods like apples and Butterfingers -- it is certainly possible to pop those glued-on brackets off your teeth. I did it several times. Gum will probably get caught in them too much for you to bother chewing it.

In addition to brushing your teeth, you of course should floss. You'll want to get some "threaders" for that, and some little brush thingies to get things that are stuck under the wires out.

Good luck! It'll be over before you know it, especially when you look back on it.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    19"/31"/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

WritingPrincess - Good luck with your braces! I had them for about 2.5 years and they were worth it. Remember to be careful with really sticky/chewy foods--I also popped off brackets or popped wires off that way. At first they will feel really weird, but you get used to the metal in your mouth in no time.

I agree that silk would be a good idea for cutting down on the rubbing.

Good luck again!
    Lady Enyo of the Brave Victory in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Oh my- I remember those! SIlk would be a good idea. You have gotten great advice. I only had to wear something at night that pulled back my teeth or bite during my sleep.

Brush and floss. I did not use that extra brushing gel- and my teeth did not stain. If you have an auto or buzzing brush- use it- because during my time with braces I did not have one and I think the automatic ones would be more effective around braces.
    Tightened braces call for milkshakes.
    Pre cut your corn off of your cob first. In 4? years it will all be over.
    Oh and I actually still have my retainer from post braces madness... it is actually on my desk now... I don't wear it anymore but I had found it from a move, and a re move..and a re re move...

If you can- when you get your braces tightened and your head hurts... lay down with a cold wet cloth on your forehead. hmm... or maybe some gel packs covered in washcloths would be good outside of your cheeks. But milkshakes do the same thing but taste better.
    =)
    http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n...ljjan07lhc.jpgfinger combed after 24hr braid...ahhhh