Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to Remove Smoke Smell from Hair?

Default Re: How to Remove Smoke Smell from Hair?

How about trying an ACV rinse? If you have some buildup on your hair, maybe the nicotine residue is kind of stuck to it?

I remember back when DH and I used to smoke I had to use alcohol to get the nicotine residue from the smoke off the windows.

I don't know if the same thing can happen to hair, but at least an ACV rinse won't hurt to try!

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

vodka. it's what we used before Febreeze.
    Picture on left in front of "my" flower.
    Photo Album
    No more Mr. Nice Gaius.

Length
    apl/hip/tb
    Type
    2c/C/iii

My ILs smoke and I've always hated how my hair smelled after visiting them. I bought some spray from http://www.hairscents.com/winterline.htm. If I'm not due to wash my hair yet, the spray hides the smoke smell. I use lavender or wintergreen.

Length
    APL/BSL/tlb
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Sherigayle, I was wondering about the hairscents, what is in them? I took a look at their website, but it doesn't list the ingredients. Thanks

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    26?/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Well for the moment I just caved and washed my hair again last night. The smell seems to be gone now. I'm really interested in the hairscents as well. Next time, I will probably give the febreeze a try.

Agressively friendly. MadPirateBippy's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

There are a few recipies on the board for baking soda shampoos that I have used on cigarette smoke and other strong smells that will get it out of your hair.

It's basically a cup of hot water and a tablespoon of baking soda. Set it up before your shower, when you're ready just run it over your hair. You'll feel your scalp get clean, it's weird but it works.

Also try wearing your hair out in the sun for 15 min or so- sunlight is pretty good at neutralizing odors and a lot safer than spraying your hair with febreeze! (will also work on your clothes)

Just remember to use an acid rinse when you are done to flatten the cuticle down, otherwise your hair won't be as shiny and will be a little more prone to tangling.

Length
    26?/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Thanks for the advice MadPirateBippy, I was a little concerned about the febreeze...

The baking soda and vinegar is very doable and stuff I have in the room.

Length
    ??/??/??

LOL last time my hair smelled like cig smoke I washed it THREE times and it got rid of it!

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea88 View Post
    I was wondering if there is a quick way to get the smell of cigarettes out of hair? I recently moved back into the dorm and I feel like everything I own smells like smoke (my mother and brother smoke at home)! Even now, I just came out of the shower and I can still smell it on my hair. Any advice for removing the smell?
    Washing your hair is likely getting rid of smoke smell..... I think the culprit might be your towels.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    26?/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    Washing your hair is likely getting rid of smoke smell..... I think the culprit might be your towels.

The towels have definitely made problems worse before. I made sure of cleaning my towels thoroughly this time. It really sucks to get out of a clean shower and dry your face with a smelly towel.