Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wooden forks/combs

Length
    0.5/53/60+
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

Default Wooden forks/combs

I have been told I can have hair stuff as a pressie
    I have been wondering about Baerreis stuff for a year or so, I particularly like the chakti viga wood, but my main problem is I have no idea how to use a comb/fork.
    Is my hair too long (~53") for using such things? I think most people I have seen on here using forks have hair quite a bit shorter than mine, but on the Baerreis website, not the Etsy site, they do have combs/foks with prongs of 6" which I might get away with using.
    Can I use two or are the prongs too thick to combine that way? I have two Quattro U-pins which I can hold a plaited bun with, put in on opposite sides of the bun.

Length
    bob/calf/ankle
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I have no fork technique myself (yet!), but my friend Eadwine placed a fork of hers in my hair (about 56") and it worked like a gem!
    The fork was 5.5", 3prong, by 60th street.

I see you have iii hair, you might need a 6".
    I know 60th street does custom ones.
    Last edited by eresh; March 26th, 2008 at 11:23 AM.

*Pictures*
    *Rosettebun tutorial*
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be
    judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Sure why not as long as you get one long enough. For you length I definitely suggest a 3 or more prong. I noticed the 2 prong ones have limited space to put hair into.
    ​Jesus saved my life and is my savior
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP
    Nov 8th update pict

Length
    Shoul/Class/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'll second that 60th street. A bit cheaper too, wonderful service, and completely custom possible and constant in quality (I just put two forks on top of each other, they are identical).

My familiars no longer with me: Dixie: *1-6-1991 4-10-2009, Stuffie: *4-1994 29-1-2011, Rakker: *26-3-2011 29-8-2018 and Doerak: *26-3-2011 2-4-2020
    6-9-2015 Goodbye my dearest of human friends, shine bright

Length
    I Do/n't M/esure
    Type
    3c/M/C/ii/iii

I hate to hijack, or sound ignorant, but I've been wondering; are these wooden hair forks/combs safe to use in the hair? Ever since I have been seeing photographs of them here I think they are unique (I am a hair stick kinda girl), but I envision getting splinters in my hair from the hair rubbing against the natural grain of the wood. Does constant use wear off the finish? Do they have to be sanded/smoothed frequently or you have to varnish them if they get wet? Do they break easily (the teeth part, they seem like they will snap like toothpick would).

Sorry to hijack, just curious about these wooden hair toys
    "It's Involuntary; It's Like Adrenaline." - Code46
    Lady Aithre, Shining Light of the Clear Blue Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2b/C/ii

I don't think any hair is too long for a fork, it's just the technique you use. I myself have BSL length hair so no tips for your lenght. But I think you could use the same lenght for a fork as your sticks.

2c / M/C / iii

Idiopathic Subgenius Xandergrammy's Avatar
    Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I think one of their forks would be beautiful in your hair. I'd get the 6" prongs. Their customer service is very, very good. You could even send an email before you order to get Martha's advice. She's a sweetie.

Avatar picture is Mystic Mermaid byJessica Galbreth Copyright 2006
    Proud vice leader of the Renegrays -Pictures!

Length
    12/46/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I have two wooden hair forks, and they never have splintered or discolored, shadowscode. One is from Hawaii, my aunt who used to live there gave it to me, and it has a shiny shellac finish. The other is some kind of hardwood - maple, maybe? that my MIL found at a craft fair; it's been sanded and stained, then surfaced with beeswax, IIRC. Because of my metal allergies, these have proven to be invaluable to me.

I have 48" hair right now, and have no problem getting them to hold my styles, though I do have very thin and fine hair. Hope that helps!

Length
    I Do/n't M/esure
    Type
    3c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by heidihug View Post
    I have two wooden hair forks, and they never have splintered or discolored, shadowscode. One is from Hawaii, my aunt who used to live there gave it to me, and it has a shiny shellac finish. The other is some kind of hardwood - maple, maybe? that my MIL found at a craft fair; it's been sanded and stained, then surfaced with beeswax, IIRC. Because of my metal allergies, these have proven to be invaluable to me.

I have 48" hair right now, and have no problem getting them to hold my styles, though I do have very thin and fine hair. Hope that helps!
    Thanks very much heidihug. I think when they are photographed it doesn't do them much justice as far as the quality is concerned. They look very fragile, like thin wood chips with teeth cut into them .
    Now I envision them to be solid and with a bit of weight, and a glass like smoothness. Is this what they ideally are like in person? I may purchase one after all
    "It's Involuntary; It's Like Adrenaline." - Code46
    Lady Aithre, Shining Light of the Clear Blue Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    12/46/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

You're welcome, shadowscode. The forks I have are very similar to some of the baerreis forks you see on Ebay, quite sturdy. I plan on buying some more soon.