Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: S&D Slackers Thread

Length
    29/33/more!
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: S&D Slackers Thread

ooh - I've been meaning to have a good snip session for ages but the enormity of the task puts me off.

Since I lost my job today I'll have loads of time - every cloud has a silver lining!

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

A couple of months ago I decided that I would SD on the new moon because cutting on the new moon is supposed to make your hair grow faster. I did it maybe two months but then forgot to mark the calendar and got off my schedule. The problem I am having right now is that my hair isnt really long enough, especially the front layers, to pick it up and look at it. I have to look in the mirror and then I cant cut backwards. Its really frustrating. Maybe I will have better luck when it is longer.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    pxi/unkn/term
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii

I keep some scissors in the buraeu by the side of my bed. When I can't sleep, or when I am ready to go to sleep and need something boring to do, I S&D. I have bouts where I might go a month or 3 without doing it, and then doing it every night for days. I find that putting my hair in a few braids (4, one on each quadrant) helps me find the splits that are in the midshaft area. I hold the braid up to a light source and check all the ends that I see along the length.

Length
    25/35/41

Quote Originally Posted by LaurelSpring View Post
    A couple of months ago I decided that I would SD on the new moon because cutting on the new moon is supposed to make your hair grow faster. I did it maybe two months but then forgot to mark the calendar and got off my schedule. The problem I am having right now is that my hair isnt really long enough, especially the front layers, to pick it up and look at it. I have to look in the mirror and then I cant cut backwards. Its really frustrating. Maybe I will have better luck when it is longer.
    I've got the same problem that my layers are not long enough and unfortunately, that's where the most problems lie especially on the layers on the back of my hair.

Length
    tb/tb+/clssc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Oh, magpielaura, sorry to hear about your job. But it's good to see you can look on the bright side of things. Good luck with finding something else, if that's what you're planning to do.

I sat outside (under a shade sail) for 10 minutes today and did some S&Ding. I was finding it hard to see the little buggers, though. The texture of my hair is a little different than normal, after using a different conditioner for my wash last night, so that might have been why.
    I actually used the twisting method which seemed to work okay today - twist a section of hair and look at the hairs sticking out, then twist the same section the other way and do the same. I divided my hair in four and did this with each section. I was surprised at the number of fairy knots I found - almost equal to the number of splits!

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I haven't had a trim in over a year and did my first S & D the other day. It seemed like I worked at it for 15 minutes. I am still seeing splits! I have to wonder if they've reappeared already! Hopefully not though. I didn't do a complete session... it was tiring and I was straining my eyes. Some of my splits were deep... about an inch or 2 inches above the end of the hair. However the bottom of the hair was not split. I just trimmed it off anyhow.

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    waist/TB/long

Now, trims I do. I snipped off 4 inches this weekend.

I guess that's why I never S&D. I don't really need it. My hair grows very fast, so maybe the hair doesn't have sufficient time to split or something. My mother always observed that my hair grew "freakishly fast" or that it "grew like weeds." I can't say that I know the science, but it seems to make sense that long hair that is actually 'younger' hair than one would think (due to speedy growth) would maybe naturally be healthy and strong, and not prone to splits. (I have seen a few split ends over the years.)

Do other fast hair growers find that they don't get splits?

By the way, fast growing, healthy hair has its benefits, but don't think that gives us perfect hair. It doesn't. I am more or less satisfied, but I would not mind if my hair were thicker, or more wavy. Sometimes it has a slight wave, and a little flip at the bottom. Other days it is just straight as a stick. I figure it is what it is, so I should try not to compare with others who have (what I consider) more beautiful hair.

Probably we all need to fight that "grass is always greener," or should I say "the hair is always (fill in the blank) longer or shinier or curlier or straighter, etc." syndrome.

Length
    29/33/more!
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Now, trims I do. I snipped off 4 inches this weekend.

I guess that's why I never S&D. I don't really need it. My hair grows very fast, so maybe the hair doesn't have sufficient time to split or something. My mother always observed that my hair grew "freakishly fast" or that it "grew like weeds." I can't say that I know the science, but it seems to make sense that long hair that is actually 'younger' hair than one would think (due to speedy growth) would maybe naturally be healthy and strong, and not prone to splits. (I have seen a few split ends over the years.)

Do other fast hair growers find that they don't get splits?

By the way, fast growing, healthy hair has its benefits, but don't think that gives us perfect hair. It doesn't. I am more or less satisfied, but I would not mind if my hair were thicker, or more wavy. Sometimes it has a slight wave, and a little flip at the bottom. Other days it is just straight as a stick. I figure it is what it is, so I should try not to compare with others who have (what I consider) more beautiful hair.

Probably we all need to fight that "grass is always greener," or should I say "the hair is always (fill in the blank) longer or shinier or curlier or straighter, etc." syndrome.
    You are luckier than most - your hair mistakes will grow out so much quicker! I have a terrible sun damaged area from 2 years ago...and I really don't want to cut it that short to get rid of it! Not many can afford to abuse their hair...If you want it different than it is you could perm/straighten/dye!!

Length
    Bob/67"/67"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

I'm horrible about sticking to an S&D routine... or any routine for that matter. I go through phases when I'm pretty good about doing S&D, then I go through long periods of benign neglect. I think I haven't done a good session since early summer or so.
    iii 2b F 62"

Length
    less/long/more
    Type
    2a/C/iii

I have umm several splits. I am also a s&d slacker and should do better.
    "All of life is a foreign country" (Jack Kerouac, 1949).
    "I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." (Albert Einstein)