Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: S&D Slackers Thread

Length
    Chin/SL/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

Default Re: S&D Slackers Thread

I don't look for split ends because I barely have them, I've only recently developed a few of them from heavy, heavy bleaching but they're just not worth my time, so I let them be. I also like fairytail ends so I just don't see the of S&D or trimming for me. So I never do either.

Length
    PX/HL/BCL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

I feel like I need to get a routine, like when cleaning the house or cooking... maybe doing a chapter in an audiobook while S&Ding, I dunno...
    instagram

Length
    ./CL/.
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Sometimes I get really into it and feel accomplished. Other times I just wonder if it's really what I should be doing? It's definitely good to get rid of splits, but I'll always have them. Aren't I just thinning my ends? Maybe I'll try going without S&D for a time... Then just microtrimming to eventually trim them out?
    No Trim 2019/20 . Use It Up 2019 . Daily wash w/Sulfate(Silicone-free) S+C+Coconut oil . CL 2019-FTL 2020

Length
    HL/HL+/~CL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I should probably think about getting back into the habit of S&D'ing sometime next year since I'll be doing the half-year no-trimming challenges.

Then again... After 2020, I will trim off a bigger chunk each time so maybe there's no real point. Bleh.
    snjallr mar hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann vi vg varask;
    en elli gefr hnum engi fri, tt hnum geirar gefi.
    TBL by Yule 2020 | Classic by Yule 2020 | No-trimming 2020, first half

Length
    WL/TBL+/class
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I got some new and mildly nicer hair scissors today. The pair I originally had was nothing special; this new pair is just slightly nicer. They're more comfortable to hold, so perhaps I'll get around to S&D a little more often now. I found and trimmed maybe 5 or 10 split ends just now... that's enough for now, I figure.
    waist / hip / tailbone+ (40 in.) / classic / fingertip / knee / calf? / ankle? / floor? / terminal??
    classic by 2020 / knee by 2021?

Length
    PX/HL/BCL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

I S&D:ed twice in the past week! Been watching YouTube on the TV and snipping away into a bucket in my lap I'm home ill with the flu so I've had the time.
    instagram

Length
    WL/TBL+/class
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    I S&D:ed twice in the past week! Been watching YouTube on the TV and snipping away into a bucket in my lap I'm home ill with the flu so I've had the time.
    I S&D'd a bit the other day as well. I did it over the sink in the bathroom so all the trimmed off ends fell in the sink and I could see them. I think I need to figure out a good method/technique for holding the bunch of hair I'm looking at, the scissors and picking out the individual split I want to cut simultaneously.
    waist / hip / tailbone+ (40 in.) / classic / fingertip / knee / calf? / ankle? / floor? / terminal??

Length
    PX/HL/BCL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Elodea View Post
    I S&D'd a bit the other day as well. I did it over the sink in the bathroom so all the trimmed off ends fell in the sink and I could see them. I think I need to figure out a good method/technique for holding the bunch of hair I'm looking at, the scissors and picking out the individual split I want to cut simultaneously.
    I struggle with that too :/ I end up taking very tiny chunks of hair at a time, which ends up taking ages... + I have quite high density hair so that doesn't help either!
    instagram

Length
    WL/TBL+/class
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    I struggle with that too :/ I end up taking very tiny chunks of hair at a time, which ends up taking ages... + I have quite high density hair so that doesn't help either!
    I think I just figured out a decent method of holding everything while not having to pick up and put down either the chunk of hair or the scissors each time you find a split end. Let's see if I can describe it in words in a way that makes sense.

While looking through a chunk of hair and holding that in my left hand, I hold the scissors with the middle finger of my right hand through one of the holes. The scissors rest parallel to the back of my hand and the blades are pointing to the side over my ring and little finger. This leaves the thumb and index finger of my right hand free to help go through the chunk of hair and pick out individual splits to trim.

Once I find a split end, I pick it out and hold it with my left hand (while still holding the rest of the chunk of hair as well). Then I swing the scissors into position to cut (putting my thumb through the second hole), trim the split, then swing the scissors back into the resting position where they're just held by my middle finger.

The motion to swing the scissors in or out of position to cut is a bit more efficient than having to pick up and put down either the scissors or the chunk of hair each time. I hope that description of my method made sense!

I actually don't know how you're "supposed" to hold hair scissors; everything I looked up online showed ways that didn't feel natural/comfortable for doing S&D. But I guess those hand positions are supposed to be more suited for people doing conventional trims or cuts on someone else in a hair salon.

Length
    PX/HL/BCL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Ooooh I'll try to get a hang of it next time I S&D!!
    instagram