Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair doesn't grow over BSL... Pic included

Thumbs down Hair doesn't grow over BSL... Pic included

Hi everybody,

Happy new year to all of you! I've been reading this bbs for quite a while but now i decided to post here aswell. Unfortunatly my hair is really thin (I'm an 1aFi I'd say.) and I'm trying to get over BSL since almost 2 years. But whenever i get over this specific lengh my hair starts to either break or grow in different speed because the hair which grows from my neck is always shorter than the rest of my hair. And since an upside down U-cut doesn't look any nice I end up cutting it back to BSL all the time. I wonder if this really is my terminal lengh or if maybe my hair just breaks because of any reason?
    My hair gives me alot of troubles even tho i stopped to use cones over 4 years ago. My hair is always very dry and looks almost fluffy like straw. And after i brush it, it starts to get full of knots directly afterwards again. It basically is never ever silky soft eventhough I pay alot of attention to avoid blowdrying and rogh combing. My basic routine looks like this:

- Mild cone free natural shampoo 1-2 a week (whenever it's needed) but i don't wash often. I only use it on the scalp.
    - Cassia every 2 weeks
    - Sometimes Jojoba Oil (but i'm not sure if it helps at all)
    - Sometimes conditioner
    - using a wooden comb and a brush with boar bristles
    - no hairdyes, no chemicals

Here is a picture of my hair. It's been basically looking like this for 2 years already. It looks a bit wavy but that's because i was wearing a bun yesterday. As you can see it looks sort of dried out and messy. Even tho my ends are cut to be even my hair always looking like this or worse.

I wonder if i can't grow it any longer than this at all. What can I do to improve my hair?

Thank you so much for your help.
    Elly

fightin' in satin tights Kuchen's Avatar
    Length
    18/27/34
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: Hair doesn't grow over BSL... Pic included

The shine and colour are gorgeous, and the ends look ok in the photo! I'd suggest giving up brushing. Every time I pick up a brush, be it boar bristle or a tangle teezer or a Denman, I end up with breakage, even if I detangle beforehand. Static is stirred up and causes knots and it's all a disaster. Some hair just doesn't like being brushed.

Length
    S-L/APL/BSL
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

Maybe the frequent cassia is to blame? I haven´t ever tried it myself, but when I used to henna my hair, it became very brittle and more prone to damage and breakage at the ends.

Anyhoo, you hair looks really nice

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

hmm maybe you are just stalled.. and not everyone grows super fast.. the ends dont look bad so im guessing that it can get longer.. have you been trimming.. that could cause it to not seem to grow too..
    can i call this classic length

Length
    Buzzc/Shl/Clsc?
    Type
    2a/M/ii

My advice? Ditch the boar bristle brush (ugh hate them), cassia only once every 6 weeks (it dries your hair out if you use it too often) and use conditioner every washing. O and use a leave in! Put it up and when you comb, start at the bottom and work your way up!
    Reached classic in 2012. Cut off all my hair summer 2012 to pixie. Buzzed it all off in 2016. Growing since then!
    On my way to APL.

Length
    20.5/22.5/Waist
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Elly,

I was reading your post before scrolling down to your picture. I expected to see a horrible mess, but your hair is pretty! It's very shiny and looks much thicker than you described.

I agree you should probably stop the brushing. I'm also wondering about the Cassia. One of my nieces did Cassia and loved the results, so I did it for another niece and it dried her hair out and made it frizzy. I just depends on your hair.

Good luck!

Length
    shldr/waist/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I suspect your frequent trimming is also to blame.

Have you considered changing products? Your hair may not be fond of what you're washing with.

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    3a/F/i/ii

I have a different hair type, but the same problem. I have been trying to grow out my hair since 1991, believe it or not! It always hovered around APL. The ends always broke at that length. Things I do:

Sleep on a silk pillowcase
    Use only unseamed combs
    No cones!
    No sulfates
    I don't brush, but I do use a Boar's bristle brush on my scalp only
    I clarify(if you don't--build up will prevent moiture from getting to hair, cauing dryness+breakage)
    My hair doesn't seem to like protein, so I stay away from that
    Scalp massage with oil---I figure it will strengthen my hair so when it gets longer it will be less likely to break.
    Microtrimming(I stay out of salons)

Some of these things you already do. Your hair looks pretty, and is a beautiful color. I wouldn't be unhappy with your hair!
    ​something awful happened to my hair in 2012; never figured out what!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

thanks alot for all those fast and helpful replies, I just left the computer for a little bit and got so many replies already.

About the trimming: Well I think I did it around every 4 months because of the unregular ends. I think i wont cut anymore at all and see what happens.

I'm definetly going to stop using the boar's bristle brush. i've had a bad feeling about it for some time and your replies make me believe that I'm doing no good for my hair if i keep using it.

Also I'll start to use cassia way less now. I'm thinking about once every 2 months. Cassia gave me nice volume every time I used it but I gotta figure out if it's drying my hair out too much.

I'll also start with the Conditioner-Wash-Conditioner method again, when washing my hair. Prolly shampoo only with the occasional conditioner didn't do so well either. And tomorrow i gotta look for a new shampoo and conditioner that's conefree and without sulfates.

Thanks for your hair compliments.. I didn't see that coming. I guess I'm seeing my hair in a worse state than it really is. I just wish it would grow longer. Until the hips would be totally fine by me.

If there are more things to avoid or to add to my routine please feel free to tell me about it. I'm always happy to get suggestions and tips.

Thanks so much,
    Elly

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I would get off the brush and do cassia less. Your hair may not like like non-cones or possibly the jojoba oil. When is the last time you clarified? Even though you don't use cones you still need to clarify now and again. So, clarify try cones first with jojoba for 2 weeks and if you hair acts better you know that was the issue. If not, clarify again and try non-cones with a different oil. You hair is exactly how mine was years ago when I chopped it to shoulder length. I also invested in a great sleep cap for night time.
    Last edited by lora410; January 1st, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
    ​Jesus saved my life and is my savior
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP
    Nov 8th update pict