Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: no product challenge - enough is enough!

Default no product challenge - enough is enough!

after reading this article;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...e-shampoo.html

i have decided, and this is big for me, to see how long i can go without using any product. i washed my hair a couple of hours ago and thought thatd id leave off the leave in conditioner and was then upset by how dry it looked in its natural state. i confess i am a product junkie i use that many serums, conditioners and thought they may be expensive i must be using too much because i am now heavily relying on them and i dont want to. after reading tha article and looking at the after pictures(click square underneath to enlarge) i think that all of these girls hair looks so much better at the end of the experiment! so today i am going to see how far i can go without washing and i really want to do this anyone care to join me??

Default Re: no product challenge - enough is enough!

I just don't think I could do that. But let us know how it goes for you.

Length
    18+/39/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

That's the idea behind the Water Only thread here -- a number of people have successfully tried variations on this.

Length
    18/18/40
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Since joining the LHC I have cut down on how much I wash my hair, and I have toyed with the idea of giving up shampoo all together. I think I am going to continue to space out my washes, and maybe ween my hair off shampoo.

Best of luck with your new plan! There is a really good "water only" hair care thread if you haven't checked it out already.

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I need shampoo. I think everyone is different. Also, not to be a pessimist, but I don't always believe articles like this. Sure, she may have done this, but it doesn't mean she won't go back to shampooing.

For me, if I go past three days of not washing, I scratch my scalp until it bleeds it's SO itchy. Working with horses--my hair will stink. Sorry I can't participate, but let me know how your hair goes!

Keep in mind, shampoo is not a bad thing----it's milder than soap. It's what you do to it after--all the products. Our environment isn't as pure as many years ago--with exhausts, chemicals and other things that affect our lives today, we get more impurities we need to remove from our hair. That's just my theory

Length
    pixie/hiBSL/CURLY
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

I'm confused... that article doesn't talk about no-products. It's a poor attempt at the no-poo method, and it doesn't go into any detail about the products or ingredients those girls WERE using the whole time. Unless I'm missing something?? :/ I'm personally a modified no-poo gal, and I LOVE it, but it takes a lot of ingredient reading and some understanding of chemistry that article certainly didn't provide. I would bet the girls with bad results go buildup from silicones or other ingredients in their other products... but it's tough to say since that article was extremely non-specific.

If I were to imagine using no leave-in products or stylers, then I'd be very careful about what I was using in the shower. If you're trying to keep your hair long and healthy, it'll need a certain amount of moisture, and I'm not sure you could get that with just a rinse-out. I'm SURE I couldn't achieve that in Colorado right now.

ETA - I'm not familiar with the water-only method, but it sounds like the OP is only interested in eliminating leave-in products? I'd just be watching my hair like a hawk with an experiment like that, LOL! If it works, it works I suppose.

I'd just hate to see you really damage your hair! Be careful - but good luck, friend!
    Last edited by ReddishRocks; December 29th, 2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: water-only method

Length
    pixie/hiBSL/CURLY
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse1 View Post
    I need shampoo. I think everyone is different. Also, not to be a pessimist, but I don't always believe articles like this. Sure, she may have done this, but it doesn't mean she won't go back to shampooing.

For me, if I go past three days of not washing, I scratch my scalp until it bleeds it's SO itchy. Working with horses--my hair will stink. Sorry I can't participate, but let me know how your hair goes!

Keep in mind, shampoo is not a bad thing----it's milder than soap. It's what you do to it after--all the products. Our environment isn't as pure as many years ago--with exhausts, chemicals and other things that affect our lives today, we get more impurities we need to remove from our hair. That's just my theory
    A balanced response indeed. I was in news media for several years before becoming a teacher, and I honestly thought that was a very pop-vanity sort of article. It was going more for shock value instead of the hows and whys of the no-poo method. There's a lot of chemistry involved in successful no-poo - and that just doesn't make for easy reading.

Last edited by wintersun99; February 20th, 2010 at 12:30 AM.

Length
    pixie/hiBSL/CURLY
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Thanks for those links! It's interesting to see the processes others go though.

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

2 of the 5 ppl really really hated it.

At that point I stopped looking in a mirror, and I have not worn eye make-up for the past six weeks. There seems no sense in bothering if my hair looks so horrid. My confidence is rock-bottom and I feel really depressed.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    this one chick seems on the verge of a meltdown

i wonder if they should have eased into it? or maybe washed out all of the products they used before?
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"