Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair Breakage (White Dots) Help Needed

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Hair Breakage (White Dots) Help Needed

Hi All
    Hopefully someone can help ! I am driving myself crazy with hair breakage. I do S&Ds about 1-2 a week. However I continuously have white dots at the ends and in the middle lengths of my hair. It seems no matter what I do - from the white dots I can only assume that my hair is breaking off.
    Although my hair is growing from the vitamins, MN and Gro Aut - I feel like I'll get nowhere if it continues to break off.

My current routine is as follows:
    Shampoo and condition about twice a week. CO or Deep Conditioning 2-3 times a week. Oiling 4 times a week, with Coconut Oil on my lengths, and an MN, Castor Oil and Gro Aut mixture on my scalp only. I have to admit that I blow dry once a week.

My natural hair is curly (I think 3a with some b, medium and fine). The split ends are diminishing, but the white dots continue. Does anyone have any advice for hair breakage, or know what could be causing it ? Is t possible that once a week blow drying is causing the breakage ?
    Last edited by waidz; March 25th, 2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Sp
    1st Goal: BSL - By Oct 2010
    2nd Goal: Waist Length - By June 2011

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Sharpen your S&D scissors, and if you're not using hair scissors for S&D, go buy real hair scissors. Dull scissors will fray the ends that you cut and cause white-looking dots on the end.

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Thanks Akurah. This is definately one of the things I am going to try. The scissors I use mall hand scissors that I found in the hair section of our pharmacy - perhaps it's not actuall hair scissors ? I will go and buy a real pair - just nd to find them lol !

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

What sort of updos are you doing? And do you comb or brush?

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I use a wide toothed comb. I don't do any updos as unfortunately I'm prone to migraines if there is any pressure on my head...

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Sometimes what looks like white dots is really dust or fabric fluff.

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Hi Spidermom
    I really wish it was that - but I've seen the difference between what is just fluff and what's actual white dots lol ! And it's mostly on my previously (and still a little) damaged hair I forgot to mention.

Account Closed by Member Request

white dots at the ends, in my mind (because I have ton) are the beginnings of potential splits. That doesn't mean they will become splits anytime soon, but that they are more likely to split than tapered hairs. Try not to worry about them unless they are splitting. If they are in the middle and are truly breaks, you can cut them off. Blowdrying is probably not a good idea if you want to prevent them.

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

I'd say its the damage doing those. I get them too. We just have to be patient and keep on top of S&D until it grows out. I'm only up to my ears with virgin hair and to my chin with only dyed once hair!!!!
    It's going to take a LONG time! (my hair grows slow!)
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

just a thought but are you shampooing all the length or just the scalp? if its all the hair it could be that your shampoo is too harsh for you, maybe a chemical free one would help. i also agree with seeing if your scissors are sharp too.
    Last edited by jojo; March 25th, 2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: meant hair not scalp
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip