Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Such lovely curls, but the tangles!!!

Length
    chin/33/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Such lovely curls, but the tangles!!!

I almost always brush or comb out my curls, but I haven't lately. Come to think of it I think I've miscategorized my hair... I must be a 2c. My hair curls rather tightly when it first dries then relaxes to big loose curls on its own. This is really new, as in the past year or so. Anyway, I could be anywhere from a 2a 2b or a 2c...depending upon the part of hair

On to the question. If I don't comb out my hair much, I get big pretty curls; I like this. I almost never wear my hair down and if I do I brush or really comb out the curls... This may be bad since I've had a lot of shedding lately, but I've usually had a lot of shedding, so I don't know. Anyhow, I've gotten loads of compliments, lately (since I have been wearing it down) and my hair is full and pretty, so this is good. I've had to stop myself from telling the truth: that is I've done nothing to it! I already deal with a few mildly unpleasant coworkers (okay, just one thank goodness) so I'll just say thank you and smile instead of going into details, even if people ask. And just for the record, this person isn't unpleasant about hair, but about everything. I don't feel bad about it; she just makes herself look petty and other people notice it. Anyhow, I deserve this because I've had some really awful looking hair not too long ago.

So the curls, are nice but what to do with the tangles? I have some parts that are nearly matted at the nape and some big tangles througout. My hair really looks good with minimal touching and arranging. I can get away with the slightly messy look, but I don't want frizz. I think my hair is totally different than I thought it was. Definitely really different than it was say 4-5 years ago when I graduated from college. My sister got natural corkscrew curls when she hit about twenty five, and her hair used to be wavy or straight--we're not sure since she always got perms. I guess even though I've been at LHC for a while, I don't really know what my natural hair is...

Excuse the long windness, but my questions are:
    What to do with current tangles? Should I put condish in dry hair and work it through or just wash it?

How do I avoid tangles but not comb out curl? I'm so confused! Everything was great and my hair seems to have changed overnight!

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Go

I finger detangle while bathing. I put lotsa and lotsa of conditioner and then work a section at a time. This helps greatly with the tangles. I only comb once a week with a seamless widetooth comb and it's not too bad if I leave-in some conditioner and work a section at a time from the bottom up.
    ________
    Vaporite solo vaporizer
    Last edited by Speckla; February 20th, 2011 at 11:00 AM.

Length
    chin/apl/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Such lovely curls, but the tangles!!!

Detangle under the shower. Use conditioner and a detangling comb to work the knots out. Then you can still let it dry without touching it. Good luck!
    I can haz coconut oil?

Length
    chin/33/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Thanks! Guess I need another comb then. Mine is horn...

Length
    18+/39/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

My hair tangles into matts around the nape of my neck, too, when I wear it down. Delightful, isn't it???

If I've put product on my hair after washing -- especially gel of any kind -- I can't/won't comb it till the next wash because the gel locks the tangles onto massive snarls, and snap, snap, snap goes my hair.

So I only comb when it's dry (as opposed to when it's full of conditioner in the shower) on the second or third day post-wash, and then only if I haven't used gel or anything to keep my hair from frizzing.

I'd love to know how to avoid tangles, while wearing it down! That's why I wear it up most of the time.

If your hair has turned curly, you might want to read the Curly Girl (Massey) for suggestions. For example, the author suggests lightly misting to bring back curl in the morning, and never combing...

(The idea of "never combing" does not work for me! The matts just build, day after day after day. At some point, I need to comb it through.)

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I fingercomb when my hair is dry, and detangle mostly under the shower with a seamless comb and then fingercombing.

Length
    ??/33/36
    Type
    3a/M/iii

I have a horn comb, too. What I do is comb my hair before I get in the shower, then wash and dry it carefully so that it doesn't tangle up. As long as I keep my hair moisturized, it works beautifully!
    It's potion time.

Length
    "mom"/31"/35"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/iii

I don't have curly hair--but it is tangly. I detangle with the Tangle Teezer in the shower--and it is so fast!! There's a thread about the tangle teezer in the conventional hair products section.

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I also detangle in the shower with lots of conditioner on it. Occasionally I will finger comb and then use my wood or horn comb if I go a while between washes and then put it up because after I do that it is too frizzy to wear down.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I developed this problem in the summer, when my hair became (almost) shoulder length. I had no idea it was so common, so I concluded it was damage and signed up for a major trim, then decided if my hair was as tangly as that perhaps I shouldn't grow it out at all... Anyway, I have since discovered that not only do I have to use lots and lots of conditioner, but also a leave-in, every time I get my hair wet.
    I heartily recommend the Giovanni leave-in, it is very light and for me, it makes dry-detangling very easy. I usually fingercomb only when my hair is dry.