Thread: The Salt & Pepper Thread!

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default The Salt & Pepper Thread!

OK - I've decided!!

I'm going to let my grays go natural!

I'm a little worried because I've done this once before a few years ago, and I got treated differently, I noticed. I like to wear fun, youthful styles likes anime buns and double braids, and I noticed sometimes I would get snickering from teenagers at the mall, etc...It was so discouraging. But I don't act old, or dress old, so I should be able to do what I want with my hair as long as it looks nice, right?

I know we have some wonderful threads showing lovely white hair, but I couldn't find anything showing salt & pepper and gray streaks. I need some inspiration and confidence building in knowing that I can have some gray but still be hot & youthful! :-) So let's share some pics of beautiful salt & pepper and gray streaks!

Here's some to start us off, the wonderful gray streak that Stacy London has (I know, some folks can't stand her - but the hair is cool, you have to admit!):

http://www.celebrity-hair-styles-mag...-colors-09.jpg

Then there's the lovely Bonnie Raitt - she is a great model for me, because I work in music and still need to portray cool - she certainly does!

http://www.vh1.com/sitewide/flipbook...00_240x320.jpg

I found this in a Google images search, she's totally got the look I want - hip, youthful and fun:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3022/...c29c6c.jpg?v=0

Then there's the fictional Rogue from X-Men, so of course this isn't natural, but it sure looks hot!

http://img.search.com/thumb/b/bb/Ann...in_Rogue_2.jpg

Of course, gray hair doesn't always come in as a cool streak...I'd love to see pics of nice all-over sexy salt and pepper too! The guys can do it (i.e. George Clooney, etc.)...why can't we ladies?

Here's a sexy all-over salt and pepper pic:

http://static.oprah.com/images/beaut...06_350x263.jpg

Join the Renegray Gang!!
    A group of resistance fighters leading the Silver revolution, sworn to proudly and beautifully wear their natural grays for the whole world to see that gray is a color, and a gorgeous one! Viva la revolution!!!
    The Renegray Gang - in alphabetical order:
    Addy, AJoifulNoise, Akiko, Akka Naeda, Akrasia, Andwife, Angela Rose, Angelhr, AngelInDisguise, Angelthadiva, Anniekins, Arctic, ArcticMama, Aries, Ashera, Auntdaisy, AutumnLeaves, Bellawave, BikerNana, Blackhound, BlkPraiseAngel, Bonny, BonnyJ, Boomtownrat, Botticelli Gold, Bouton99, Canarygirl, Cassi, Cassie123, Catlover, Charlotte Meve, Chibbylick, Chopandchange, Cimorene, Cindi Eponabri, Clairenewcastle, Cmnt831, Constantki, Crewsemarg, CrowningGlory, Cupofmilk, Curlstogrow, CurlyGirlCa, Curly-q, Danacc, DarkMartian, Dayonea, Demetrue, DMartinez, Dulce, Easterjoy, EdG, Elenna, ElenTikvah, Elvi, Eolan, Faerielady, Feralnature, Friskybiznus, FrizzFighter, Gabbie, Garnet66, Georgia Peach, GreyTraveler, Gnomentum, Grenwich, Greygardens, HairyCarrie, Hanne Jensen, Homeeduk8tor, Honestwitness, Hootietoot, IanB, In2wishin, Intransigentia, Ipickee, Islesgirl, Itsnikki, Jack's Sparrow, Jahof45, Jchinique, Jeanniet, Jing, Joette, Johanna, Joyfulmom4, JKRBeloved, Juanita, JuliaDancer, Karmi, KarpatiiSiv, KBG, Khan, Kimberlee, Kitschy, Kmouse43, Kya, LadieRyrie, LadyDi, LadyG, LaurelSpring, Linda_g, Lilla My, LilyMunster, Linda K, Long_gone, LoveMyLongHair, Loviatar, Luluj, LutraLutra, Lynnala, Madora, Mellie, MemSahib, MerryKat, Merseaone, Michiko, Mimi1153, Missmaggieeliza, MissySue, Mitzy, Molls, MonaLisa65, Ms. Murph, Nae, Nastasia, Ncgirl25, Neen, Nenasylvia, NevadaRose, Nyxe, Ole Gray Mare, Orange, OrangeTree, Organic, Pamela1212, Paper, Patienceneeded, Peggy E, Pilgrim, Pittsburgpam, Pixna, QueenMadge, Rachelily, Radiofreejenn, Raederle, Rags, Ratgirldjh, Ravenne, Restourceful, Rhea, Rho1640, Rimi, Rini, RitaPG, Rose.grace, RuLueashk, Saldana, Saman, Seaj, Selene Argenta, Shay0969, Shyone, Sia, Siava, Sidani, Sigzephyr, Silmarwen, Silver & Gold, Silver Grace, Silverhalo, SilverLocks, Silversnow, SilvraShadows, SKerri13, Slinks, Sneakybea, Snow White, Sorraia, Stacy E, Sugar&nutmeg, Sunshineliz, Superfine, Sweeetestpoison, TammySue, Tangerine, Teazel, Teela1978, Theobroma, Tigerlily896, Tigr, Toadstool, Tovah, Treecrown, Trilobite, TudorRose, Turtlelover, Vanity_acefake, Victorious, Vintage88, VintageBrooklyn, Violetmermaid, Vorvolaka, Wahmof9, WavyGirl, WindDragon, Xandergrammy, SSerendipityX

Want to join? Just post here and say you'd like to be a Renegray too, and we'll add you to the growing worldwide membership of Renegrays!

Renegray logo by Lynnala (thank you Lynnala!!). Here's the link to use it as your siggy!
    http://home.comcast.net/~ttudek/pwpimages/RENEGRAYSsmall(1).jpg Here's another one with the Live Free or Dye motto included:
    http://home.comcast.net/~ttudek/pwpimages/RENEGRAYSdyesmall(1).jpg
    If one person walks in ... they might think you're a little weird... If a whole group of people walk in ... they'll know it's a revolution.
    paraphrased from Arlo Guthrie, Alice's Restaurant
    Last edited by mellie; August 13th, 2011 at 04:36 AM. Reason: changed photos to links; added the Renegray Gang members

Length
    pixie/messy/bob
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: The Salt & Pepper Thread!

Yay mellie! Embrace your greys, wear your hair the way you want too. Whoever we are, whatever we wear, and whatever we look like, there will always be someone who doesn't like it. Big deal. And anyway, for every person who doesn't like your look there will be someone who loves it.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Whoever we are, whatever we wear, and whatever we look like, there will always be someone who doesn't like it. Big deal.
    Haha, that's awesome (and so true!!) - thanks so much for the encouragement!! :-)

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I just found this lady's flicker image, totally hot hair!!

http://media-files.gather.com/images...96/f3/full.jpg
    Last edited by mellie; December 14th, 2008 at 11:11 AM.

Length
    Waist/<TB/Clasc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Go for it!

Don't pay attention to anyone who has the time to stand around in malls judging total strangers! How pathetic are they?!

I love salt and pepper hair. Post pics once you're there!

Nes x
    Brushed out natural waves 04/09

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Thanks Nes! You are totally right, of course! And yes, I will post pics - maybe that will help me actually look forward to it!!

BTW, your siggy pic is beautiful!!

Brilliant pics, I too have decided to let my hair do it's natural thing and have a lot more silver hairs than I realised.

Length
    17"/20"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I am, too!

S&P has always been my favourite "colour". I'm mostly pepper with a bit 'o salt at the moment. The hairs (sideburns?) just below my temples are mostly white. If I wear my hair down, you don't see them, but now I'm usually in a pony or half-up. The rest of my head has some grays scattered throughout.

I've been hoping for a colour that makes NO claim to cover grey! Not sure I'll ever find one, so for the moment I've been doing tea rinses in the hopes of adding a bit if red or purple to the dark hairs.
    Lady Myst of the Evanescent Veils OLHK
    Before/after lemon rinse pics

Length
    pixie/shldr/?

wow, Mellie, that's awesome and inspiring of you
    I'm trying to get in the right mindset to go there; I haven't quite got it down yet...but maybe one day I'll join you!

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Sambrini and Intothemist, I'm so happy that you are doing it too!! Yay!!

Lawyermom, thanks for nice comment!

Here's a cool video review of the book "Going Gray":

http://goinggrayblog.com/?p=186

The reviewer has a lovely "Rogue" streak!