Thread: The Salt & Pepper Thread!

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Default Re: The Salt & Pepper Thread!

Hi Oldrocker,
    First off I’m sorry for the loss of your father.
    Mine is now 91, my mom 86 and it’s tough.
    Cool about the alto saxophone. Would you consider getting it serviced and playing it?
    Twenty five years of it not being played doesn’t do it much good but those old saxophones are so well built. My alto is a 1958 SML which I purchased second hand in 1973 and have had it since. It’s had a few overhauls but is a nice sax and worth the work.

Bari’s are expensive. There’s two saxophones bigger than a baritone. Look it up one day. I’d love to see the look on your face when you find them. Lol.

Selmers are nice instruments. Expensive but nice. I rented a Selmer once when I got mine repadded. They’re nice for sure. My soprano is a Yamaha and I have to admit that it’s a fine instrument. I actually like the soprano better than the alto. It’s tone is so nice.

I’m glad your gig went well.

Thanks for the compliment on the hair. That was taken last Wednesday when my husband and I went canoeing with our dogs. It was so fun. We are taking the kayaks out this weekend.

Take care
    HLH

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Smile Re: The Salt & Pepper Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I decided to grow it out! Did my last maintanence July 5th
    Awesome! Enjoy the grow-out.

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Smile Re: The Salt & Pepper Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by hennalonghair View Post
    Oh thank you so much.
    I rarely take pictures of my hair but since I was out canoeing with my husband I asked him to take a picture which he did. This is ALL natural coloured hair. My outer layer is silver and underlayer a light auburn. Thereís no more henna yet I do have light red streaks or highlights .
    You are welcome!

Your natural highlights must be so pretty. I still have them mixed in with my silvers, also, mine are light-ish brown in colour.

Hi Oldrocker,
    First off Iím sorry for the loss of your father.
    Mine is now 91, my mom 86 and itís tough.
    Cool about the alto saxophone. Would you consider getting it serviced and playing it?

Bariís are expensive. Thereís two saxophones bigger than a baritone. Look it up one day. Iíd love to see the look on your face when you find them. Lol.

HLH
    It actually is in good shape. They keyboardist also plays sax and other woodwinds. I took the Buecher and my dad's old gemeinhart(?) flute to him during practice and he took them home for a week. He said the pads were decent but a couple notes were a little out of registration. He actually used the flute during practice...so that was kind of cool. Some time I'd like to get back to playing them, but want to actually learn how to play more than a few chords on my acoustic guitar. Playing bass for almost 40 years has led me to develop some bad habits you can get away with on a 4 string bass, but not on a regular guitar.

also...never played but was near a guy cleaning his bass sax many years ago. Love the Steve Martin video for King Tut, when the SNL band has a guy playing and walking around with a bass sax.

O.R.
    Profile pic from a couple years ago(ahem)...

Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by luluj View Post
    You are welcome!

Your natural highlights must be so pretty. I still have them mixed in with my silvers, also, mine are light-ish brown in colour.
    What I’m finding odd is that the places where I used to go blond as a kid, I know how bold silver streaks. The auburn hair was a true surprise but a pleasant one. This truly an exciting journey. I have some regrets having to cut off all my hennaed hair . I wish I hadn’t coloured it deep cherry cola colour but I can’t turn back that clock. I’m just glad I’m still able to have long hair.
    It’s still a fun journey. Did you ever colour your hair?

Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

That’s great. It’s nice having a vintage sax especially when it’s in such great shape. It’s good that you had a professional opinion from someone who actually plays. I took my alto in and the guy said it might not be worth fixing but this guys a salesperson / technician and when I looked up it’s value, it didn’t add up at all. It’s craftsmanship is really quite remarkable but I’d keep it also for sentimental value. I mean I’ve had it for 47 years.

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

What Iím finding odd is that the places where I used to go blond as a kid, I know how bold silver streaks. The auburn hair was a true surprise but a pleasant one. This truly an exciting journey. I have some regrets having to cut off all my hennaed hair . I wish I hadnít coloured it deep cherry cola colour but I canít turn back that clock. Iím just glad Iím still able to have long hair.
    Itís still a fun journey. Did you ever colour your hair?
    I understand your feelings of regret. It is a journey, isn't it? We are both in our happy place now.

I regretted my pixie cut almost instantly, so much so that I stayed home for two weeks. My husband and kids were supportive and paid me many compliments, still, I didn't like what I saw in the mirror. The stylist did a really cute, feminine cut, so that was all okay, it just felt so strange to me. I put on a good front when I did go out, telling everyone I was happy with it.......not true, though.

I started experimenting with hair dye at an early age, in my teen years, actually. Remember Sun-In? I have been every shade under the sun, highlights, lowlights, you name it. My decision to stop was made shortly after finding the "goinggraylookinggreat" website in 2008. I never looked back. It was such a sense of freedom...never having to think about my roots, all natural, healthy hair and the biggest perk, the money I saved.

Henna was the one product I never tried, although I always loved the shine it gave to the hair. I only discovered henna after joining TLHC. To this day I love to look at the photos of hennaed hair, it is so lovely.