Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Didn't work, does work, ......now? Am I alone?

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Default Didn't work, does work, ......now? Am I alone?

What in the name of............?

A year ago, i bought a 1 lb tub of virgin coconut oil, and it was a disaster, my hair hated it, and I'd break out terribly at my hairline. Instead I used carrot oils, and in the past few weeks, Africa's best Ultimate Herbal. Past few days my ends felt like straw, i try the coconut, on dry hair......... instant soft silk. What the?

Does this happen to others or is it just me? Its not just the oil, but shampoos, conditioners, all sorts of things. It'll work for a while, then doesn't......... it didn't work months , weeks, days ago, but now it does? what gives with this? I'm stupefied!
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Go

It can depend on the season/humidity, condition of your hair, what other products you used before...
    ________
    Medical marijuana doctor
    Last edited by Speckla; February 20th, 2011 at 10:56 AM.

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Didn't work, does work, ......now? Am I alone?

No, you're not alone. This is exactly the reason that I am reluctant to throw things out. There is every possibility that I might love them in the months ahead!

I think Speckla is right, as well...

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've had variable results too, particularly with coconut oil. That's probably why the bathroom fills up with half-used tupperwares of past experiments.... Things work for a while, then I try something else and have better luck with it, and just keep rotating.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Oils are hit and miss for me as well, even my beloved jojoba. It also depends how much you put in, how much your hair needs it, how well you wash it out...

I put EVOO in my hair the other week and it went CRUNCH and I was terrified of what it would be like when I washed it out...

It was lovely.
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Length
    14/24/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

It happens to me, too. I can't work out what my hair likes, and it changes all the time. It generally feels okay, though, so I 'm not too worried.
    Lady Cryollaee of the Honored Woodlands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The Goal: No trimming until waist (2013)

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Me too.

I rarely used to use EVOO because it often made my hair crunch, but in the last couple of weeks its been the oil I go to when I'm doing a heavy oiling. Don't know why, but I like it.
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert

Royal Buness/Jedi Master Hypnotica's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

No, I need to remember to rotate my regim too. It is a pain in the behind sometime to figure out what my hair wants.
    Emerald Green Henna Dragon, Guardian of ALL THINGS GREEN.

I only look confused. Arctic_Mama's Avatar
    Length
    Shldr/Waist/Knee
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

The thing I have observed about coconut oil with MY hair, at least, is that water and humidity make it crunchy and icky. If my hair is bone dry and I apply it - instant softness, shine, and moisture. Even slightly damp? Frizz, crunch, ick ick ick. I tested this out with oiling my hair post shower, then when it was barely damp, them completely dry and the results were clear - oiling, for me, is a dry-only affair unless it is as a prewash!
    The hair is the richest ornament of women. - Martin Luther
    Goal: Virgin knee length

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

same here, though not necessarily coconut oil. I have to be very careful with oil of any kind because my ends are so fine and thin and get crunchy very easily.

But many kinds of product or routine are like this for me. It will work for a while, then stop working, then work again once my hair/scalp have had a "break." 'Cones, WO, sulfate-free, are all like this. I just figure my hair is picky somehow...there doesn't seem to be an explanation.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii