Thread: All those cylco-cones

Type
    1c/F/i

Default All those cylco-cones

Hi everybody!

I decided to go back on cones and buy a coney leave-in. Im wondering about the "cylco-cones" which are often used in leave-in products like cyclomethicone, cyclopentasiloxane and so on.

I read somewhere that they evaporate and that could cause dryness.

Well, now Im not so sure about it since many people have success with these kind of cones. Though I hesitate to buy/use them.

So, what do you know about them and what is your experience?

Thanks
    Myrddin

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

My former regular conditioner had cyclopentasiloxane as the second ingredient, and I believe it contributed to my hair breaking as fast as it grew, which resulted in my hair remaining at midback for over ten years. Without that conditioner, I simply don't have all those little pieces of hair on my clothing when I comb or brush.

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Wow Flaxen that is scary! I am glad I went cone-less! I can tell SO much difference really now that I avoid them. I THOUGHT they made my hair so much better but really they just made it drier and then covered it up! I am not saying this happens for everyone mind you and I am not a cone-a-phobic! That was just the case for me I believe!

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

I agree, Curlsgirl. A lot of people seem to benefit from 'cones. We're just not two of them.

Length
    <2"/SL/more!
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Let me recommend that you read CurlChemist's very informative article on Cyclomethicones. CurlChemist writes a Q&A column on naturallycurly.com.

My experience is that cyclomethicones did dry my hair. It has been happier since I stopped using them.

I hope this helps.

Type
    1c/F/i

Thank you all for your help! The article on curlchemist is very informative. So, hands off cyclomethicone and the like.

I will have look for other coney leave-ins.

Type
    2a/M/ii

Yeah, those 'cones do nasty things to my hair as well. That's why I call them the "psycho-cones" and avoid them like the plague.
    SuperCool Sunglasses generously provided by snowbear!
    Lady Wavelengthe of Auburne Waves, Order of Long Haired Knights

Type
    1c/F/i

@wavelength "Psycho-cones", sounds funny.

It was very hard to find a leave-in without them in. Fortuneately I found one with amodimethicone which seems to be ok. My hair doesn&#180;t feel like plastic with it.

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddin View Post
    @wavelength "Psycho-cones", sounds funny.

It was very hard to find a leave-in without them in. Fortuneately I found one with amodimethicone which seems to be ok. My hair doesnt feel like plastic with it.
    That's exactly how my hair feels with cones--like plastic! Also I notice that my hair gets staticky when I use them. Before LHC I so bought into those coney products and I couldn't believe the difference when I went cone-free.

Yet there are a lot of people here with amazing hair who use cones. It's really interesting just how different we all are.

Type
    1c/F/i

Well, I&#180;ve been for a long time on organic hair care, which is of course cone free. My scalp loves it, it&#180;s not as drying, but my hair splits from all the tangles. That&#180;s why I&#180;m trying a coney leave-in though I stick with the rest of my routine.