Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Zinc stopped my hair loss

Length
    APL/NA/NA
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Zinc stopped my hair loss

I'm intrigued by this thread and I'll have to keep an eye on it...On wash days, I'm shedding approx 75+ hairs. From what I've noticed, the days I'm not washing are not the same but, I do still lose about the average of 100 hairs a day. This, I must mention is improvement. But, I am pretty active and my diet is not always what it should be PLUS I do take an estrogen birth control.

I may have to try this out after my body adjusts to the new mulitvitamin, thanks for the info!
    "Keep rosemary by your garden gate. Plant Lavender, for luck. And fall in love whenever you can."
    -Alice Hoffman "Practical Magic"

Oh wow, great that you figured that out! And great info, I don’t have a lot of shedding right now but I have times when I do so I’ll look into that.

have a great weekend!

~v~
    Type : 1c / N / ii
    Color : Dark brown
    Kjara

Length
    shldr/BSL/waist
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Lightbulb Re: Zinc stopped my hair loss - pumpkin seeds

Pumpkin seeds (which have zinc & iron) have reduced my hair shed significantly.

Nutrition info on Pumpkin seeds:

Nutrients in Pumpkin seeds

Background: For years, my hair always shed everyday (even before I was vegetarian). It seemed to be all over the place after I combed/brushed my hair. I attributed it to the 100+ hair shed a day principle. It was kind of annoying though.

Last year, I started eating a handful of raw pumpkin seeds (already shelled for easy eating) everyday as a snack and to just ensure I get enough zinc. I'm pleased to say that my hair doesn't shed that much anymore.

If I stop eating the pumpkin seeds for a week (I ran out one time), I noticed the hair shedding coming back. Perhaps I'm on one of those naturally low in zinc.

Here's the kind I eat (it's tasty as it has some Celtic sea salt. It's organic, raw & sprouted & then dehydrated for some crispness - yummy!

Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds

They also sell these seeds at places like Wh*lefoods, health food co-ops, etc.

Skay

Type
    1b/F/i

It's been interesting to read about the zinc an hair, since I suffered from hair loss myself. That has stopped now, but I will be checking the zinc in my food.

I'm embarassed to admit, but I've been feeding my horse a zinc-copper supplement for a few years now, to help with his main, tail and coat quality. It's been helping too. And I never made the connection to my own hair.

Until now...

Length
    25.25/25.25/36
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Thank you for posting this! I have had hair loss, and am not sure what the cause is. I may try to take a zinc supplement or a vitamin D3 supplement that was from another thread.

Length
    24”/33.5"/39"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by aprilshowers View Post
    Thank you for posting this! I have had hair loss, and am not sure what the cause is. I may try to take a zinc supplement or a vitamin D3 supplement that was from another thread.
    It would be worth seeing your doctor and mentioning this to them, and asking for a blood test. Then you’ll know exactly where you are deficient! I had to do this adter becoming increasingly tired and haggard looking (pale, wrinkly and sick looking) in my pregnancy. Turns out I’d wuietly become anemic but the blood test pin pointed that and I started an iron supplement which fixed the problem.
    APL - BSL - *MBL* - WL - HL - TBL
    Last trim: 12th March 2021
    Pantene fanatic, sulphate and silicone lover

Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I've only read about zinc helping acne, interesting it's helping hair as well

How many mgs is ok?

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

25 is the RDA, 40-50 is considered the upper limit, 50 is what some immunocompromised people take (it boosts immune function). If you're getting nauseated after taking it, you're likely taking too much. If you haven't been taking any before, I'd start out with 25 and see where it gets you.