Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: henna gloss recipe??

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    Yes, I think so. I'm chicken about lemon because I have dry hair.

I just read through the henna article--wonderful!
    Thanks I knew I'd taken it out at one point, but these articles were salvaged from cached versions of the old board, and probably weren't the most up-to-date ones. I still need to get the herbal hair coloring swatches back up too.

I have taken to glosses as well, mostly because it is less of a hassle and can be done much quicker. I have noticed that glosses tend to fade a bit, mostly at the roots. If I look closely, my layers of henna slowly fade into lighter and lighter color and end at the very closest to the scalp an almost yellow color. Pretty on the grays, but not so pretty on my natural brown as it makes it yellow-mud looking. I am sure it is because there is not a great henna base at the roots. That said, henna glosses are great for condition and do impart color. I have used about 1/4 cup henna to enough conditioner to make enough (hard to guess on the amt.)

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

I was wondering how would you store the henna gloss if any is left over??

Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Aisha25 View Post
    I was wondering how would you store the henna gloss if any is left over??
    Could your freeze it? Will conditioner or yogurt freeze well? I know henna does.
    Last edited by Shell; March 25th, 2008 at 06:06 PM.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Well it has conditioner in it so would it be ok?

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

The one time I tried it the conditioner separated and got...strange when I thawed it

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

My experience with henna and indigo (both together and seperately in gloss form) has shown me that although glosses fade quicker than full strength applications, they will usually become permanent after about the 3rd glossing.

I assume this is due to repeated (if weaker) exposures i.e. three consecutive hendigo glosses may equal one full strength hendigo... or something along those lines. But I could be wrong...

My husband has only ever been 'hendigo glossed' (a couple of times with cassia in the mix = quite a strong yellow tone!) over his salt and pepper light brown hair - and he has retained a high percentage of the henna color, but less of the indigo. So, he has a bronze effect, which is rather sweet (especially as we are growing his hair long ATM!). His mix is typically one teaspoon henna and one teaspoon indigo - into about half a mug of 'cone free conditioner, and left, wrapped, for 30 minutes.

I'm always happy to just pop a quick extra indigo gloss on his/my hair as the month progresses - just to keep too much red at bay.

Length
    24/Pixie/n/a
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: henna gloss recipe??

I did a 4 hour henna gloss yesterday with 1/3 henna (frozen left overs) to 2/3 cone free conditioner.

It has given me a lovely coppery colour to my medium brown hair and even toned down the chemical "red" that did not take properly a week ago.

I plan on doing these glosses monthly as it is easier to apply with conditioner and to wash out and I really like the colour I achieved.
    I still love the idea of long hair, but really enjoying my all natural pixie. Contemplating growing to layered bsl & strawberry blond with cassia & henna.

Length
    Ears/Cheek/WL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I'm going to buy some Henna today, and try this gloss thing out.
    I have a question though; I'm using castor oil right now (For growth and other stuff), and it is said to darken hair..
    Will it ruin my hair color? I Have ginger hair to begin with, and just want to do a Henna Gloss to boost my color, so would the castor oil do something to the color...?

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Castor oil won't affect the henna color. Oils generally don't change the hair color, any darkening is because the hair is better moisturized (or in some cases over-oiled). You're safe doing a henna gloss