Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: I really need some advice from herbal washers

  1. #21
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    19,474

    Default Re: I really need some advice from herbal washers

    Quote Originally Posted by mira-chan View Post
    I haven't had residue problems fro hibiscus or methi when they were used on their own. I used them as a main washing herb but left them in longer, kind of like CO. I have done them after oiling too though not as heavily and that worked fine.

    I haven't had more residue from them with or without oiling.

    My hair is dry (any commercial shampoo makes it haystack dry without a lot of conditioner and leave in... and even then it's iffy), methi only washes are just right for me but I like mixing stuff too much to do just those.
    That is what I am trying (not well) to say. Plant residue, from my own experience with herbal teas, takes time to accumulate enough to be a problem. But mixing it up as you do, you would not see the same kind of problems that you might if you used the methi/hibiscus washes exclusively.
    Last edited by ktani; December 2nd, 2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling

  2. #22
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    19,474

    Default Re: I really need some advice from herbal washers

    I knew that I posted this. Soap nuts remove some oils better than others and pre oiling here is done with a number of vegetable oils. So aritha would dissolve hair oil easily IMO, but not the oils used for pre oiling (which is exactly what one would want by using them).

    Research on how soap nut saponins dissolve oils.
    “…. Solubilisation of two types of crude oils and a vegetable oil was studied …. At lower concentrations of the surfactant .... solubilisation of crude oils in saponin was better than synthetic surfactants …. solubilisation of vegetable oil was better in synthetic surfactants.
    http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18303686
    Last edited by ktani; December 2nd, 2008 at 05:17 PM. Reason: replaced link

  3. #23
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    19,474

    Default Re: I really need some advice from herbal washers

    I forgot that I posted this. How much of the natural dye in soap nuts would show up would depend, IMO, on; the dilution, how dark the hair colour, how long it was left on the hair and/or the pre oil used. Not everyone would get staining.

    Used in laundrey, there are reports on the net that soap nuts have not gotten whites "white" on their own. They did not stain the clothes but only 2-4 soap nuts were used per load of laundrey.

    "soap nut has a lovely light brown natural dye." See "Mordant"
    http://www.copperwiki.org/index.php/...ampaign=invite
    Last edited by ktani; December 2nd, 2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added text on laundrey

  4. #24
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    19,474

    Default Re: I really need some advice from herbal washers

    I have heard that amla, shikakai and aritha, used together, 1/3 each to wash hair, does not darken it. IMO, even though amla also contains a light brown dye, the saponins of the 2 washing plants outweigh the dyes, by their amounts, no doubt their chemistry (as well as the chemistry of the other plant constituents), the dilution, the pre oil used, and the time that the recipe is left on the hair.
    Last edited by ktani; December 2nd, 2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling

  5. #25
    I ♥ My Silvers mellie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Land of Porch Swings (S. Indiana, USA)
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,264
    Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: I really need some advice from herbal washers

    There are a lot of factors at play here:

    1) the person's hair/scalp - is it naturally oily or dry?

    2) when talking about aritha/soapnuts - the species of the soapnut is very important as well as the formulation that you are using as well. Lots of folks here are using aritha powder, which since it is a dried out powder, I can understand would be drying as compared to fresh, juicy soapnut liquid.

    Also I've noticed vast differences in the species and quality of soapnuts. The big, juicy plump ones are much, much more cleansing for my oily hair and give me much better results (with no pre-oiling or conditioner needed). The smaller ones leave more natural oils in my hair (which in my case is bad, since my hair is so oily anyway, it ends up looking greasy).

    Also the recipe/formulation when using whole soapnuts; some folks just use a few soapnuts soaked in water (this wasn't cleansing enough for my oily hair); I use quite a lot of soapnuts soaked in water with lemon juice added as well. So the recipe ends up being fairly important.

  6. #26
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    19,474

    Default Re: I really need some advice from herbal washers

    Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    There are a lot of factors at play here:

    1) the person's hair/scalp - is it naturally oily or dry?

    2) when talking about aritha/soapnuts - the species of the soapnut is very important as well as the formulation that you are using as well. Lots of folks here are using aritha powder, which since it is a dried out powder, I can understand would be drying as compared to fresh, juicy soapnut liquid.

    Also I've noticed vast differences in the species and quality of soapnuts. The big, juicy plump ones are much, much more cleansing for my oily hair and give me much better results (with no pre-oiling or conditioner needed). The smaller ones leave more natural oils in my hair (which in my case is bad, since my hair is so oily anyway, it ends up looking greasy).

    Also the recipe/formulation when using whole soapnuts; some folks just use a few soapnuts soaked in water (this wasn't cleansing enough for my oily hair); I use quite a lot of soapnuts soaked in water with lemon juice added as well. So the recipe ends up being fairly important.
    Yes, the research does say that in lower concentrations, saponins do not dissolve vegetable oil as well as synthethic detergent. They are referring to sapindus mukorossi not the other species.

    Soapnuts are dried, as is the powder. It is the type of oil, that is mentioned, in this case vegetable oil vs crude oil and in your case human scalp oil.

    Lemon juice added to your recipe would lower the pH, but you do not use enough lemon juice to significantly alter the recipe in other ways, IMO.

    I think that you may be able to just alternate the soap nuts with Dairy Whip, to help your problem with the indigo.
    Last edited by ktani; December 3rd, 2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: adjust text

  7. #27
    Member brok3nwings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    38
    Posts
    894
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: I really need some advice from herbal washers

    Is it possible that the colour in aritha only stains fabric and not hair??? I´ve tried to search some reports about it on the internet but i cant find it. Ktani they say its light brown but that is really relative...
    Shell has blonde hair and she never reported any colour change. Unlike hibiscus for example i put the boiling water over the aritha and the colour that comes out isnt "colour" it looks like dirty water instead. The hibiscus and chamomille does stain a lot. Did you know that i had to use lye (?) to take out the yellow (chamomille) from my bath? The hibiscus did stain my wood spoon so i didnt even try it in my hair (as it was a pink colour not a copper one as i was expecting)...
    aritha has never done anything simillar to my hair, bath, or kitchen but if it does stain i wish i knew how and what we need to do with soapnuts to see that happen
    .~~~. :*: Bárbara :*: .~~~.

  8. #28
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    19,474

    Default Re: I really need some advice from herbal washers

    Quote Originally Posted by brok3nwings View Post
    Is it possible that the colour in aritha only stains fabric and not hair??? I´ve tried to search some reports about it on the internet but i cant find it. Ktani they say its light brown but that is really relative...
    Shell has blonde hair and she never reported any colour change. Unlike hibiscus for example i put the boiling water over the aritha and the colour that comes out isnt "colour" it looks like dirty water instead. The hibiscus and chamomille does stain a lot. Did you know that i had to use lye (?) to take out the yellow (chamomille) from my bath? The hibiscus did stain my wood spoon so i didnt even try it in my hair (as it was a pink colour not a copper one as i was expecting)...
    aritha has never done anything simillar to my hair, bath, or kitchen but if it does stain i wish i knew how and what we need to do with soapnuts to see that happen
    It would depend on the amount used, the dilution, the oil used to pre oil etc. Like I said, not everyone will get staining. But it is possible. I know someone to whom it happened. I did not see reports of soap nuts staining clothes but for laundrey, only 2 - 4 soap nuts are used per load. I did see reports that the soap nuts stained the bag that they were in, a light brown.

    I had both chamomile and linden tea stain my bathtub but over time and mostly on areas that were more porous (my bathtub is old and the finish worn in some areas, so it is also a porosity issue).
    Last edited by ktani; December 4th, 2008 at 08:38 AM. Reason: spelling

  9. #29
    Member brok3nwings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    38
    Posts
    894
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: I really need some advice from herbal washers

    oh, i just wished that the "light brown" was actually lighter then my natural hair colour...that way there would be no problem about it :P
    .~~~. :*: Bárbara :*: .~~~.

  10. #30
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    19,474

    Default Re: I really need some advice from herbal washers

    Quote Originally Posted by brok3nwings View Post
    oh, i just wished that the "light brown" was actually lighter then my natural hair colour...that way there would be no problem about it :P
    You may not have a problem. Just don't make your solution too strong and pre oil.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •