Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help: Updos for fine, shoulderlength hair

Length
    18,5"/BSL/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Red face Please help: Updos for fine, shoulderlength hair

I hope this thread is placed here correctly.

One of my major reasons for having my long hair cut to a pixie several times in my long life was that long hair sooner or later seemed to be boring. But this was also because I only knew two or three hairstyles.

To avoid beeing bored right from the beginning I try to learn as many hairdos as possible. Unluckily it seems as if my hair still is far toooooooo short for nice updos.

I do were following styles:

1. Somehow uptiwisted an pinned with a Ficcarissimo
    2. Topsy-Tail tailed up
    3. Peacock
    4. Do-as-if-it-were hairstick bun thingi
    5. Half-up
    6. Faked French-Braid
    7. Chignon
    8. Gibson Tuck

But there still must be loads more dos I just cannot find or think of.

So please do help a short and slippery and fine-haired with two left hands doing hairstyles - pleeeeeeeeeaaaase!
    Currently I am obsessed with arts and crafts - which is the main topic of my german-englisch Blog. This of course includes hairtoys. Please, feel free to come around and take a look!

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Please help: Updos for fine, shoulderlength hair

Since you already know how to do a topsy tail, here's a hairdo that I use on my APL hair, but I could do it shorter.

Pull your hair into a topsy tail high, using only hair from ear level and up. Do the topsy. The rest of the hair that hangs down, braid and flip up, tucking back down into the top of the topsy and secure with a pretty barrette or clip. Because of the topsy and the braid coming up, it looks complicated, AND it makes your hair look like its longer than it really is.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    chin/apl/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/i/ii

Can you braid? You could french braid it, or do a half up and braid the "up" with many braid variations.

You could also do a segmented ponytai, or do it braided.

Length
    chin/apl/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    Since you already know how to do a topsy tail, here's a hairdo that I use on my APL hair, but I could do it shorter.

Pull your hair into a topsy tail high, using only hair from ear level and up. Do the topsy. The rest of the hair that hangs down, braid and flip up, tucking back down into the top of the topsy and secure with a pretty barrette or clip. Because of the topsy and the braid coming up, it looks complicated, AND it makes your hair look like its longer than it really is.
    Cute idea!

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

You've got a bigger repertoire of styles than I do, and my hair's longer than yours!

I'd suggest a French braid or, if it won't hold, two of them. If you can't braid then learn xP It'll be a very useful skill later on for a whole host of updos. I know what you mean, though, about getting bored and chopping. I've done that, but only as far as shoulder (I'm too scared to go higher than that, but at least at shoulder I can wear it down regularly without it getting in the way).

ETA: something that works great for me, as my hair, though longer, is also thick, is to make a ponytail, divide it into two or more sections, and either three-strand or rope braid those sections and twist them around into a bun. This allows you to make a braided bun at a shorter length than would otherwise be possible, and it looks really intricate.
    Last edited by florenonite; November 29th, 2008 at 01:19 PM.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    APL/APL/BSL+
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

You could also do your segmented ponytail or half-up topsy-tailed.

My hair is APL, so I'm not able to do many styles either. Half-ups are the way to go! You can do various braids with them, as well as buns. I'm able to do messy buns, like the infinity, that I wouldn't be able to do with my entire length.

You could also take two sections from both sides of your head together and twist them back. You could also braid these sections. This reminds me of a style my mum used to do on me. You braid a small section of hair from both sides of your head and secure them together. Then you do this again, but lower. When you secur these braids together, secure it with the tail of your first braid. You can repeat this as many times as you would like, but we usually went up to three. It's like a cage braid of sorts. I apologize if my instructions aren't very clear. I may take pictures of what it looks like today.

Here are also some styles that you could try out:

http://dressytresses.com/hair/galler...ct/crown-roll/
    http://dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/pics/long/L003/
    http://dressytresses.com/hair/galler...barrette-fold/
    http://dressytresses.com/hair/galler.../reverse-roll/
    http://dressytresses.com/hair/galler...uct/hair-roll/
    http://dressytresses.com/hair/galler...ruct/lc-twist/

I found this great bun style. It should work on your length.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=63

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Folded braid is nice, and at your length it looks more like weaved bun than folded braid.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Type
    1a/M/ii

You have a nice repertoire of updos!

How about a french twist? I was able to do it 10cm ago, which was your length. Flexi8 site has a good video instruction. A french twist with a flexi-8 is really secure.

Ficcare also has a nice video instruction of a french twist which is slightly different. But that one might need a little more length. Have you tried?

Redophile / redophobe
    Length
    shdr/shdr/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I agree, you know more updos than the average person, and you execute them better. If you're bored, you only need to get to about APL before you can do a lot more.

Length
    18,5"/BSL/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Ladies, thanks for the compliments and the ideas.

Quite a lot of nice dos to try - and hopefully master.

@Kirin: I will try your suggestion as I like dos that can be done quite easily and look more complicated....

@ Frech braid: I already have mastered the braid and sometimes use it for me night-hairdo. Unfortunately my hair is really bad tempered and nearly every time I wanted to go out with the French braid either strands slipped out like mad or I braided some loops in which just should not be there. I have no idea how this happens though. But yes, you are all right, I have to practice this more as I simply love the look of this braid.

By the way: The dutch braid is also so beautiful but I am still to silly to do it.....

@ Boots: I still have problems with the vocabulary and can't think of what a segmented ponytail is... Could somebody help me out?

@ florenonite: This bun is a cute idea, althoug it might look strange with the few hair I have - but I will give this one a try also.

@ Vitalai: Oh yes, a photo would be nice. I see a picture in imagination but I would like to be sure I got it right!

And thanks for the links, I think I will spend some time trying out what I can manage with two left hands

The braid over braid updo is so beautiful - but if I do two braids they are only half as wide as on the shown instruction. I tried it once but as my husband giggled like mad seeing it (and he actually normally is far too polite to react like this) I never gave it a second try. I simply seem not to have enough hair.

@ Arctic: I did not really dare to try this one as my braid is just so tiny. But then again I never thought that it could simply look like a bun. AND it might give me the opportunity to wear my hairsticks.

@ Akiko: I love the French Twist. For the instructions on the Ficcare site I am still too short-haired but I put it into the favourites to use this one when my hair finally gets longer (in a hundred years or so - felt years that is). I fear I have the wrong size of Flexis to hold the French Twist comfortably - my small is too tight after half a day. But an excuse to buy another one . I would love to try a French Twist comb but can't find it in Germany, even not in online shops.

@ Tangles: Heavens, yes, but it will still take soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long to reach APL . And then there are still some minor layers I have to cope with.....
    Currently I am obsessed with arts and crafts - which is the main topic of my german-englisch Blog. This of course includes hairtoys. Please, feel free to come around and take a look!