Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oils and static, why?

Length
    27"/23"/32"
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Question Oils and static, why?

Is it just me or does everyone have this isssue? I don't use oil very often at all, but today I decided to add a dab of coconut oil after my shower and let my hair dry naturally. Why oh why does oil create such an outrageous amount of static? Is it because the heat is on in the house and I'm walking on carpet? If I put on my jacket my hair stands up all over the place and sticks to my face, drives me crazzzzy! Usually I don't have these static issues, only when I use oils do I get this crazy static head. My hair can be damp still and have static It's shear madness I tell you! Does the oil suck the moisture out of my hair? Please chemists or anyone with knowledge in this area help me out, should I stay away from the oils?

BTW, my hair looks great with the coconut oil. Smooth as butta.

Length
    pixie/messy/bob
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Oils and static, why?

Oh gosh, me too! If I shea my hair when it's dry, or even not damp enough, then it's a one way trip to Static City. I thought it was just me!

Length
    12/46/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Me, too. I recently gave up on using coconut oil as a leave-in because I was having too many problems with static. Now I use only a few drops of carnation oil along with a bit of diluted conditioner as an after-wash leave-in, and I am having no problems with static. I still do use coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment, though.

Slow day: Didn't have much to do, so spent three hours on LHC. Busy day: Managed to work in three hours of LHC. Bad day: Barely squeezed in three hours on LHC.

Me too! I clarified my hair yesterday and used coconut oil as my leave in. Static city!

Length
    27"/23"/32"
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I will pass on the oil from now on. I sure do love how pretty it makes my hair but WOW, the static is unbelievable. I'm concerned if all that static is damaging to my ends.

Last night before bed I was putting on my pj's and once I pulled my shirt on all of my hair was standin up, looked like I belonged at the science museum . Gives a whole new meaning to halo head. I just don't understand why that happens. I need to find the chemistry teach at my college and see if he can explain it for me.

Length
    0.5/53/60+
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

Is it the type of oil?
    I used to have horribly dry and staticy hair, but oiling it has improved things - no more static.
    My daughter also has staticy hair, it gets so tangly as a result she can't brush it, but putting a tiny amount of oil on it removes the static and then she can get rid of the tangles.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by akka naeda View Post
    Is it the type of oil?
    I used to have horribly dry and staticy hair, but oiling it has improved things - no more static.
    My daughter also has staticy hair, it gets so tangly as a result she can't brush it, but putting a tiny amount of oil on it removes the static and then she can get rid of the tangles.
    This is what i find too, i can't actually even guess how the oil increases static....one thing though, has anybody tried using aloe vera either alone as a leave in or mixed with oil? I find combining the two things works wonders for calming down static flyaways.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

I was oiling my hair and still experiencing fly-away and static too, relatively recently. I solved the problem by adding a humidifier in my bedroom at night running all night long, very close to my bed. (I oil dry, as many know, but I also know many prefer oiling damp/wet. That's fine. So oil a bit, then sleep with the humidifier.) This also solves my dry nostrils problem and dry skin problem.

This tip comes to me from Lady Grace, a lovely woman with incredible hair! (I plan to purchase a second humidifer to have downstairs in the kitchen/dining/living room area.

In winter, there's less ambient moisture in the air, so many do well by adding it. The heat (in just about any form) takes it away; and the general moisture content, when the temperatures dip, also contributes to lack of moisture in air.

I have a friend in Florida and she reports that even she is having problems with drier/fly-away hair.

Hopefully this tip helps a few.
    heidi w.
    PS. For the record, I use Coconut Oil by Spectrum Naturals, what's pressed for use on hair and skin. UNREFINED.
    http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=205
    I do find in winter, for my hair, I do need a trace bit more oil added than my norm. This is a new difference for me comparing living in a semi-arid climate of Bay Area California, to Northern Illinois (near the Wisconsin border) where it snows here! This info may be helpful to others as well living in different parts. Lady Grace, for example, is in an area of the South that experiences a lot of humidity, and she still runs the humidifier when she sleeps, often enough!
    Last edited by heidi w.; November 24th, 2008 at 09:36 AM.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    20/Knee/Ankle
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by heidi w. View Post
    I was oiling my hair and still experiencing fly-away and static too, relatively recently. I solved the problem by adding a humidifier in my bedroom at night running all night long, very close to my bed. (I oil dry, as many know, but I also know many prefer oiling damp/wet. That's fine. So oil a bit, then sleep with the humidifier.) This also solves my dry nostrils problem and dry skin problem.

This tip comes to me from Lady Grace, a lovely woman with incredible hair! (I plan to purchase a second humidifer to have downstairs in the kitchen/dining/living room area.

In winter, there's less ambient moisture in the air, so many do well by adding it. The heat (in just about any form) takes it away; and the general moisture content, when the temperatures dip, also contributes to lack of moisture in air.

I have a friend in Florida and she reports that even she is having problems with drier/fly-away hair.

Hopefully this tip helps a few.
    heidi w.
    PS. For the record, I use Coconut Oil by Spectrum Naturals, what's pressed for use on hair and skin. UNREFINED.
    http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=205
    I do find in winter, for my hair, I do need a trace bit more oil added than my norm. This is a new difference for me comparing living in a semi-arid climate of Bay Area California, to Northern Illinois (near the Wisconsin border) where it snows here! This info may be helpful to others as well living in different parts. Lady Grace, for example, is in an area of the South that experiences a lot of humidity, and she still runs the humidifier when she sleeps, often enough!
    Very funny you mentioned this because when I was in San Diego, I had the most fabulous hair. So much so I took it for granted, I just thought I got lucky. After moving to Copenhagen with healthy winters and hard water (delicious fortunately), my hair and scalp have been in a revolt. My hair looks pretty good but its taken a lot of time to figure out its Morse Code. It will be interesting to see what happens to it when I move back.

EDIT: My hair got SUPER staticy when I was using Camellia oil. I swear, the more I put on the more it stood up on end, which says something for my knee length hair. I can only imagine if it was shorter and not so heavy. Emu Oil is the one I've found that doesn't do that and rinses out well, not to mention giving me the condition I want.
    Last edited by Eryka; November 24th, 2008 at 10:13 AM.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

No, oil doesn't suck moisture out of the hair. Glycerin can do that. So can honey.