Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Fellow fine-haired friends... Please report in!

  1. #21
    The Little Mermaid SandyBottom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Posts
    1,555
    Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

    Default Re: Fellow fine-haired friends... Please report in!

    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_storm View Post
    That's a great question! I have sometimes wondered if castor oil might not be the best fit for my hair since it's so sticky and thick (I began using it for the purported hair-growth enhancement —*I oil my ends before I do my scalp massage every night, so I've convinced myself that the little bit remaining on my fingertips is benefitting me somehow ).

    Do you oil your hair? If so, do you have a favorite oil? I have jojoba oil as well - I may give that a try tonight.
    My scalp doesn't like being oiled. It doesn't get irritated or anything, it just causes a lot of shedding so I avoid it. I am able to use essential oils without any problem though. Once in awhile I might use a couple of drops of olive oil or coconut oil on my length only, but hardly ever.
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Lady Marina...Dweller, Explorer, and Protector of the Mermaid World
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

  2. #22
    New Member GothiePie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2024
    Posts
    17
    Length
    11/20/30
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

    Default Re: Fellow fine-haired friends... Please report in!

    Quote Originally Posted by Natalia_A00 View Post
    Since I grew my hair long, the tangles have been a nightmare lol. I wear it loose but after that I need to spend some time detangling. I think it's a feature of longer hair (I didn't have this issue when it was short)
    Lucky! If my hair wasn't shaved or a pixie at the longest, my hair always knotted up. I just am used to and expect the tangles at this point having fine hair. My hair, being fine, also is so so static prone. Anyone have tips to fight the static? I already do a lot that would naturally combat it, but I am having a bad static hair day today.

  3. #23
    New Member GothiePie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2024
    Posts
    17
    Length
    11/20/30
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

    Default Re: Fellow fine-haired friends... Please report in!

    Quote Originally Posted by SandyBottom View Post
    My scalp doesn't like being oiled. It doesn't get irritated or anything, it just causes a lot of shedding so I avoid it. I am able to use essential oils without any problem though. Once in awhile I might use a couple of drops of olive oil or coconut oil on my length only, but hardly ever.
    Have you tried grapeseed or jojoba? I never experienced that. My hiar will just look like a grease pit, but I never had flakes. Do you happen to do ACV or shampoos that target flakes? I notice that I struggle with dandruff and if i'm not using a lice comb, ACV, and dandruff shampoos when I do my modern/conventional washes, I have flakes. But, I never flake if I oil my scalp, either.

  4. #24
    Dumplings Mama AspenSong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Midwest Abyss, MO
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,095
    Length
    CBL/Hip/Term
    Type
    1a/F/i

    Default Re: Fellow fine-haired friends... Please report in!

    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_storm View Post
    "Catchy" is such a great way to describe it. My hair is constantly getting fairy knots I've noticed they usually incorporate a piece of lint as well, so I've wondered if lint is confounding the tangles... I bought a fine-toothed comb, and it's amazing the amount of lint that comes out after a combing session!

    Do you have a serum that works for you? I am thinking of switching my castor oil out for jojoba oil.

    Also, hello fellow Missouri person!
    Haha, hello other Missouri dweller!!
    Yeah the lint thing is usually a part of any bigger tangles I ever get as well.
    I would def switch from Castor oil to Jojoba. Much lighter oil! Castor works well for me as a scalp and oil to put in before a shower as a conditioning oil...but it is heavy!
    I also occasionally use some of the Plant derived Hemi Squalene from The Ordinary. It's got an almost dry oil feel to me and it's very light and absorbed easily also.

    Serum wise, I have just been grabbing whatever is at WalMart to slap some cones on and smooth things. I usually do a couple drops of the Hask Argan oil serum after some of my Mielle Rosemary Mint leave in conditioner.
    *Lady Nyx, Possessor of The bewhytchd Lens*

  5. #25
    The Little Mermaid SandyBottom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Posts
    1,555
    Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

    Default Re: Fellow fine-haired friends... Please report in!

    Quote Originally Posted by GothiePie View Post
    Have you tried grapeseed or jojoba? I never experienced that. My hiar will just look like a grease pit, but I never had flakes. Do you happen to do ACV or shampoos that target flakes? I notice that I struggle with dandruff and if i'm not using a lice comb, ACV, and dandruff shampoos when I do my modern/conventional washes, I have flakes. But, I never flake if I oil my scalp, either.
    I tried grapeseed at some point, but it left me looking stringy (probably used too much) and seemed to trap lint. I didn't use much and it went rancid. Never tried jojoba but have been a little curious about it. So many seem to love it. Let us know how it goes! I don't use ACV at all or any dandruff products and don't have problems with it although I did as a child. Have you tried tea tree oil or maybe a tea tree shampoo? That might help with the dandruff struggles.

    ETA: Oh wait, I meant hair shedding, not flaking skin to be clear.
    Last edited by SandyBottom; June 15th, 2024 at 06:18 AM.
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Lady Marina...Dweller, Explorer, and Protector of the Mermaid World
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

  6. #26
    New Member GothiePie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2024
    Posts
    17
    Length
    11/20/30
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

    Default Re: Fellow fine-haired friends... Please report in!

    Quote Originally Posted by SandyBottom View Post
    I tried grapeseed at some point, but it left me looking stringy (probably used too much) and seemed to trap lint. I didn't use much and it went rancid. Never tried jojoba but have been a little curious about it. So many seem to love it. Let us know how it goes! I don't use ACV at all or any dandruff products and don't have problems with it although I did as a child. Have you tried tea tree oil or maybe a tea tree shampoo? That might help with the dandruff struggles.

    ETA: Oh wait, I meant hair shedding, not flaking skin to be clear.
    I love jojoba oil and ACV. For fallout, I heard a few things could help with this from MSM, lavender, and rosemary (lightly researched = slightly backed/inconclusive). I aslso really love tea tree oil. I use it with jojoba.

  7. #27
    New Member GothiePie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2024
    Posts
    17
    Length
    11/20/30
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

    Default Re: Fellow fine-haired friends... Please report in!

    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_storm View Post
    Hi everyone! I've made my way back to LHC after many years. Nice to see you all again! I've been through many ups and downs with my hair since then (literally - my hair has been many lengths ), and it's finally quite long - a little shy of waist length.

    The thing is... no matter how long my hair gets, how healthy it is, what I do to it... it's always so tangly. I rarely wear it down, because when I do, it tangles within minutes. It doesn't feel silky and luxurious, that's for sure.

    Running my hands through my hair? Forget it. Not gonna happen.

    I don't use heat. I wear braids and updos most of the time. I gently detangle. Eat a healthy diet. Scalp massages. Oil. Henna. Decently regular trims. All the "right" stuff.

    Am I fighting an uphill battle with fine hair that is just doomed to be lackluster? Do I need to ditch my dreams of lucious, long hair once and for all? Or is there someone - anyone! - out there who has cracked the code to fine hair that is both long and manageable?

    Please share your tips on maintaining beautiful fine hair :
    I went scouraging for information on how hair gets tangled. It lead to this site. https://goldielocks.com/blogs/news/how-to-prevent-hair-tangles#:~:text=Heat%20styling%2C%20chemical%20tre atments%2C%20even,It's%20a%20tangled%2C%20knotted% 20nightmare.

    I then looked up damage hair information to see how damaged hair can present. It lead me to an archived forum from LHC and if you have any ends whatsoever that feels coarser, is weirdly squiggly, or bent in 90 degree angle/s it is a split end that wasn't split fully for whatever reason (probably because the strand was healthy enough to try and fight it, or something??) So, I did a test, I cut strands that matched these descriptions despite my eyes and brain telling me no, theose are healthy, and sure enough, my hair now does not tangle like it did just moments prior to cutting those ends that matched those descriptions. like it was the definition of instant gratification!

    Try this out, it could be dead/damaged ends which apparently cause friction with other strands/other damaged strands.

  8. #28
    Member angel-baby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Barbie dream house
    Posts
    748
    Length
    Chin/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

    Default Re: Fellow fine-haired friends... Please report in!

    My hair tangles as soon as you look at it. My hairstylists always comment on it - they'll comb a leave-in into my wet hair, go to section it, and immediately find new tangles.

    In addition to being fine-textured, my hair is also wavy/occasionally curly, and I have a LOT of it. For the most part I don't brush it, so at least I don't have to worry about brushing through tangles unless it's right before I wash my hair. When I wear my hair down, I make sure and rub a few drops of hair oil into the midlengths and ends to keep it moisturized and strong. I sleep with my hair in a braid or pineapple to keep it from getting tied in knots overnight. Clarifying regularly seems to help, and so does refreshing and scrunching vs. brushing.
    long hair is self care
    Chin ♡ Collarbone ♡ APL ♡ BSL ♡ Mermaid ♡ Waist ♡ Hip ♡ TBL ♡

  9. #29
    Member Dark40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    7,310
    Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Fellow fine-haired friends... Please report in!

    I'm glad I'm not the only fined-haired too. That's why I always wear my hair up the majoirty of the times. Now, there are times when I wear to down but I just keep on combing it, and it won't get tangled or snagged.
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

  10. #30
    Member diamond_storm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Tornado Alley, USA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    136
    Length
    shldr/mbl/tbl
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

    Default Re: Fellow fine-haired friends... Please report in!

    Quote Originally Posted by GothiePie View Post
    I went scouraging for information on how hair gets tangled. It lead to this site. https://goldielocks.com/blogs/news/how-to-prevent-hair-tangles#:~:text=Heat%20styling%2C%20chemical%20tre atments%2C%20even,It's%20a%20tangled%2C%20knotted% 20nightmare.

    I then looked up damage hair information to see how damaged hair can present. It lead me to an archived forum from LHC and if you have any ends whatsoever that feels coarser, is weirdly squiggly, or bent in 90 degree angle/s it is a split end that wasn't split fully for whatever reason (probably because the strand was healthy enough to try and fight it, or something??) So, I did a test, I cut strands that matched these descriptions despite my eyes and brain telling me no, theose are healthy, and sure enough, my hair now does not tangle like it did just moments prior to cutting those ends that matched those descriptions. like it was the definition of instant gratification!

    Try this out, it could be dead/damaged ends which apparently cause friction with other strands/other damaged strands.
    Ohhh very interesting I used to have a LOT of those squiggly ends, especially when my hair was damp. Since I got pregnant and had a baby, most of them seem to have disappeared. Are your ends still feeling nice, Gothie? I may have to sit down and do an S&D while little one naps sometime.....


    Quote Originally Posted by angel-baby View Post
    My hair tangles as soon as you look at it. My hairstylists always comment on it - they'll comb a leave-in into my wet hair, go to section it, and immediately find new tangles.
    I've gotten the hairstylist comments as well... One of the last times I went to a salon, the stylist commented on how my hair was difficult because it's so fine. She said it's tough for people with hair like me to grow it long, and that it just never looks great. Definitely planted a seed of doubt in my mind

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •