View Poll Results: How many prongs are optimal for you?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll

4 22.22%

13 72.22%

6 33.33%

0 0%
  • More

0 0%
  • My fork needs cheese

2 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: For fork fans

Fiorentina A. Canaretti Fiorentina's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default For fork fans

I think we should talk about forks and prongs.
    How many prongs should a fork have? Good question, isn`t it?
    Of course different hair, different buns have different needs, and sometimes the owner of the hair and bun has another view or dream. We all new that. Nothing new about it.
    So, tell us about you, how many prongs are optimal for you? How many do you prefer? When are there too many prongs for you?

For me, two prongs don't give much more support than a stick. Well a little bit more perhaps.
    I find the three prongs very good for me, as they give my bun an optimally secure hold.
    Four prongs definitely give my bun more hold than 3 prongs which is nice too and sometimes absolutely great if I need an extra hold.
    More than four prongs are too much for me, my bun, and my taste.
    Regards
    Fiorentina
    Last edited by Fiorentina; March 20th, 2024 at 08:32 AM.
    A nice​ bun makes the day.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: For fork fans

Most of my forks are three but I love four prongs equally, such wonderful hold.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Hold entirely depends on bun construction. I have no preference for number of tines, I can make a bun that will work with the fork in question.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Any more than 2 prongs and the fork is bigger than the bun, alas. But that's where I am.
    Opting out of Friend Requests, thank you very much!

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Ooh, good discussion! Currently have a 2 prong and a double pointed knitting needle that I bent and have been considering getting a 3 or 4 prong one. I love the look and variety of wood ones but know they wouldn't be very practical for me.
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    44/55/knie
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Hi Fiorentina, nice and interesting discussion.

I have voted 2 and 3 prongs, because that is, what I use mostly.

But actually I see it like @neko_kawaii, it depends on the hair style and the length of the prongs. I have Forks from 2-6 prongs and I have hairstyles working for every of them. With more prongs, you have to make more preparations to give each tine its proper bed to snug into. For this sake, I use to feather up the loops, if they are only two of them, that every tine gets its own loop when being inserted and coming out again. So you avoid having very wide stretched loops, who have to contain all the prongs at once. With this method you also can use two-prong forks, where the prongs are very much apart from each other.

If I don't want to make such preparation efforts, I just choose one tine to hold/thread up the loop and one to get out of the loop on the other side. It doesn't have to be necessarily the same tine for both sides. The rest of the tines just go into the loop somewhere and comes out somewhere without special finger guidance.

regards
    Fornarina

Fiorentina A. Canaretti Fiorentina's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Fornarina View Post
    Hi Fiorentina, nice and interesting discussion.

I have voted 2 and 3 prongs, because that is, what I use mostly.

But actually I see it like @neko_kawaii, it depends on the hair style and the length of the prongs. I have Forks from 2-6 prongs and I have hairstyles working for every of them. With more prongs, you have to make more preparations to give each tine its proper bed to snug into. For this sake, I use to feather up the loops, if they are only two of them, that every tine gets its own loop when being inserted and coming out again. So you avoid having very wide stretched loops, who have to contain all the prongs at once. With this method you also can use two-prong forks, where the prongs are very much apart from each other.

If I don't want to make such preparation efforts, I just choose one tine to hold/thread up the loop and one to get out of the loop on the other side. It doesn't have to be necessarily the same tine for both sides. The rest of the tines just go into the loop somewhere and comes out somewhere without special finger guidance.

regards
    Fornarina
    Thank you, Fornarina, for your explanations and pictorial descriptions. That sounds very interesting to me.
    Personally, I always place the prongs in the bun based on how I think they are needed for a nice hold and it looks lovely too. This procedure works very well for me.
    The reason why I don't use forks with more than 4 prongs is that forks with 5 or more prongs are not pleasing me with the allover appearance as a fork. I truly don’t like them at all and so I don't bring them into my buns.
    Regards
    Fiorentina
    A nice​ bun makes the day.

Length
    1cm/23.5"/term
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

My hair forks vary between 2, 3 and 4. I find that 3 is perfect for me and gives me great hold. I do like my 4 pronged ones but they're just a little harder to get in my hair. My buns tend to be on the medium to tight side because my hair is only slightly longer than APL, medium density and hard to keep in place. My 3 pronged forks are easiest to get in!
    Shaping my hair in May to give my hair life again!! No more wonky layers from my mullet!
    ~Buzz
    ☆ Shoulder ☆ APL ☆ MBL ☆ Waist ~
    time to grow grow grow

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

It depends a bit on the day. Freshly washed, my hair needs a four pronged fork to stay up. When it's really dirty, two might do the job. But overall, I find that four prongs are ideal. They hold everything without pulling.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

It depends on what I used to wash my hair. Shampoo bars produce rougher hair and I can use almost anything. Liquid shampoo without conditioner required 3 or 4 prongs. With conditioner I can just forget about forks or sticks. Two of my family members have curly hair with almost no slip. I can put their hair up with a tiny little stick. It's the perfect hair for hairtoys.