Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does the sun/age lightening look weird?

Length
    Neck/WL/Term?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Re: Does the sun/age lightening look weird?

Quote Originally Posted by Larki View Post
    My parents keep making unflattering comments about the color of my hair. Does it look unattractive? I kind of think they're just stuck on when I was a kid and it was platinum, but they're making me feel like I need to either lighten the roots or darken the ends to even it out.

As someone whose hair also "solar photobleaches" easily (term borrowed by 23andMe--they actually include that as one item in the genetic testing and not surprisingly I tested positive for that), I would say the contrast is very natural. The newer hair on the top of my head is definitely darker than the older hair down below which has been exposed to the sun for years, in parts of the strand. It may seem counterintuitive at first since the hair on top is more exposed to the sun. In general, people who are blonde or near-blonde are more prone to hair lightening from sunlight (apparently both visible and UV radiation will do that), plus simple exposure to sunlight, plus (and this is my guess) fine-haired people with thinner strands are more likely to lighten in the sun since skinnier hair would ostensibly have more surface area to volume (and the sunlight doesn't have to penetrate as far into the hair if the strand is thinner to start with, so more effective at wiping out some of the melanin).

I also think the contrast would be greater in winter, since there's less total sunlight (even in Mediterranean and subtropical climates). Also, if one wears a hat outdoors frequently, that would be accentuated.

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

I think your hair looks just fine.
    Opting out of Friend Requests, thank you very much!

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I don't see anything wrong with it! Go by what YOU like. Everyone has their own opinions on hair (and everything else).
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    Chin/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I like how it looks! The mids/ends of many people's hair can get lighter over time due to sun exposure. It's natural and very pretty.
    long hair is self care
    Chin ♡ Collarbone ♡ APL ♡ BSL ♡ Mermaid ♡ Waist ♡ Hip ♡ TBL ♡