Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Terminal length

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Member Lesley8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    912
    Length
    Shave/Mid t/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

    Default Terminal length

    Hi
    I was wondering how do we know when we reach terminal length? I've noticed for the last few months my hair has only grown a cm? And I feel stuck at this length.
    I don't see any breakage and always protect my ends.
    Thank you

  2. #2
    floating waves baanoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,586
    Length
    15/40/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

    Default Re: Terminal length

    I canít speak from personal experience but I think it takes quite some time to know for sure - I recall Neko thinking she had reached terminal and then after quite a long stall grew another few inches.

  3. #3
    Member Lesley8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    912
    Length
    Shave/Mid t/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

    Default Re: Terminal length

    Quote Originally Posted by baanoo View Post
    I can’t speak from personal experience but I think it takes quite some time to know for sure - I recall Neko thinking she had reached terminal and then after quite a long stall grew another few inches.
    Thanks, I'm not sure myself it just seems to have stalled. Maybe as long as it will grow.

  4. #4
    Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Where no man has gone before
    Posts
    2,934
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Terminal length

    Interesting question. If observable length increase stops then, by definitiion, you've reached the terminal length achievable given your circumstance. Change your conditions and terminal length may differ.

    I expect my terminal length to be just above my ankle, probably within a year. While my length hasn't stopped, my ends have become extremely thin.
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

  5. #5
    Member floridaorchid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    605
    Length
    SL/HL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/ii

    Default Re: Terminal length

    Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    Interesting question. If observable length increase stops then, by definitiion, you've reached the terminal length achievable given your circumstance. Change your conditions and terminal length may differ.

    I expect my terminal length to be just above my ankle, probably within a year. While my length hasn't stopped, my ends have become extremely thin.
    To piggyback off of changing conditions, I believe someone on here had a false terminal. I can't remember who though.
    Find me at the beach or springs wishing I was a mermaid
    SL- MBL - WL - HL - TBL - CLASSIC - FTP - KNEE

  6. #6
    Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Posts
    12,709
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

    Default Re: Terminal length

    Quite a few people here have thought they hit terminal and then after a few years of no additional growth gained a few more inches. Usually some sort of environmental factor such as health or mechanical damage or trimming is the reason for a false terminal, but in my case I really can't point to any reason why after four years of staying at knee my hair grew past knee.

    58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

  7. #7
    Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Where no man has gone before
    Posts
    2,934
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Terminal length

    Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    Quite a few people here have thought they hit terminal and then after a few years of no additional growth gained a few more inches. Usually some sort of environmental factor such as health or mechanical damage or trimming is the reason for a false terminal, but in my case I really can't point to any reason why after four years of staying at knee my hair grew past knee.
    Is your height the same (many people shrink as their vertebral column compresses with age)?
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

  8. #8
    Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Posts
    12,709
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

    Default Re: Terminal length

    Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    Is your height the same (many people shrink as their vertebral column compresses with age)?
    Hehe, well, I certainly didn’t loose four inches of height.


    And, Lesley8, I agree with the others who have said that based on that pictures your ends are too thick for terminal length. A stall for a short period of time (a few months) is also very common. Hair doesn’t really grow at a consistent rate.

    58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

  9. #9
    Member Lesley8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    912
    Length
    Shave/Mid t/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

    Default Re: Terminal length

    Thanks everyone, I'll just have to wait and see what happens hopefully I'll get to knee!

  10. #10
    Calix Belfry Bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    The Underworld
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,000
    Length
    Bald/Pixie/Term

    Default Re: Terminal length

    Apparently I hear we start shrinking after 30 but I'm not sure if that's actually true or not

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •