Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The "No End Goal" Thread: Enjoying the Journey

Length
    Buzz/SL/TBL
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Default Re: The "No End Goal" Thread: Enjoying the Journey

I love this thread! Tbh I never thought of this as an option until this thread put it into words, and always worried about not having a set end goal, so I’m glad I stumbled across it Due to my OCD, it’s really difficult for me to focus on the present and not obsess over the end-goal of different things in my life. Since my hair is so important to my self-care and daily self-regulating routines, I think this mindset over its length will help me in terms of coping with obsessing over the “end” of things, and will remind me to just focus on the present moment and not worry so much about the future or where I “should” be

Anyways, mental health tangent aside, here’s my answers to the questions!

1. What was your starting point, and how long ago was it?
    I’d say my starting point was right before I buzzed my hair in December 2021. I had been idly growing my hair before, but it was super unhealthy due to bleaching, so I decided to start fresh and healthy once I buzzed my hair and decided to actually grow it out. (sidenote: I still have a blonde streak in my hair now, just because I love having dyed hair, but still want the majority of my hair to be healthy )

2. What made you decide to grow your hair?
    Besides just liking the way long hair looks on me, I’d also say how calming hair is to take care of for me. As I mentioned before, self-care regarding my hair for me is super calming and helps me focus on myself and my body’s overall well-being a lot more, so having the constant journey of growing long hair is really fun to me as I adapt my routines and habits to it.

3. Do you enjoy the process of growing your hair out?
    Yes! I love seeing my hair evolve and change over time, and getting to come up with different styles or looks to incorporate it into has been super fun. I love the versatility of not having one length or style to stay with.

4. If you had to make a wild guess, where do you think you'll find your hair's "sweet spot"? Have you had that length in the past?
    The longest I’ve ever had my hair has been just past BSL, and I don’t think that was my hair’s sweet spot. If I had to guess, I think it would be probably somewhere around waist length, as that seems the most appealing to me. But I guess we’ll see when we get there

5. Are you more interested in gaining length, or gaining thickness? Or are you just "meh" about your hair?
    Definitely length! My hair is extremely thick as is, I’m definitely covered on that front LOL.

6. Do you trim your hair?
    I used to, but not so much since I started growing more seriously. I only S&D as I don’t get enough split ends to justify full trims, and have never really had problems with my ends snapping off or thinning out. I’m also doing No Trim 2023 right now, so there haven’t been any trims since around December

7. Has your routine changed since you've been on LHC?
    Only my styling one, as a result of me finding more curly hair resources. I used to just spray in a curl leave-in, but now I actually style my hair with mousse and gel products. I also started oiling my ends since I first discovered LHC, since I realized how much better it made my hair feel

8. Do you consider your hair to be a big part of who you are?
    Definitely! But less in terms of personality/myself as a person, and more in terms of my physical appearance. I always consider my hair when doing my makeup or choosing an outfit for the day, and consider it a big part of how I present myself to the world.

9. Does taking care of your hair make you happy, or is it more of a chore?
    The only part I consider a chore is actually washing it, but I love conditioning/detangling and styling it in every aspect. I just find it really relaxing, and even if I have a bad hair day or I end up not liking the style, that just means I can play with my hair more and try out new things

10. Do you think you are more likely to eventually land on one length, or try several different ones and change it up?
    I can definitely see myself playing around with different lengths! I don’t ever think I’ll cut my hair past a specific point again, though. Like for example, when I reach somewhere around waist, I think I’ll try styles way longer than it and try cutting a little less than it, but I think I’ll always stay around a specific range of lengths. I hope that made sense LOL.

Super fun questions, thanks for starting this thread

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nefcerka View Post
    The moderator Chromis mentioned a "cheese length thread" in some other thread, and while I know it was a joke (I liked it), this, your thread, is in my mind "the" cheese length thread - because it´s an all-inclusive and a happy place.
    Petition to rename this thread "The cheese length thread - no end goal: enjoying the journey"

I'm not here yet, I definitely have an end goal (although I'm not thinking about the journey right now, just seeing if my hair will get there or not) but I am looking forward to having reached it, cut back, and … well, we'll see. I won't have a length goal, any more that's for sure. Nice idea for a thread, it's great to see so many enjoying it!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Petition to rename this thread "The cheese length thread - no end goal: enjoying the journey"

I'm not here yet, I definitely have an end goal (although I'm not thinking about the journey right now, just seeing if my hair will get there or not) but I am looking forward to having reached it, cut back, and … well, we'll see. I won't have a length goal, any more that's for sure. Nice idea for a thread, it's great to see so many enjoying it!
    Nope.

The "No End Goal" Thread (CHEESE!): Enjoying the Journey

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

I don't know if I belong in this thread or not, but I don't have a final end goal as of now - so probably? Fun fact: When I joined LHC many moons ago, my goal was actually waist. I didn't even think I'd make it. And here I am, logging on again after a few years, already at hip!

Pixie cut back in 2013(?), but had a big chop+bleach job, so you could also say chin in 2018.

I want to try everything to see what I like the best! Long hair takes more time to achieve than a pixie cut

Yes, although it feels like it's taking forever.

4. If you had to make a wild guess, where do you think you'll find your hair's "sweet spot"? Have you had that length in the past?
    Who knows? Maybe Classic? Feels like that's just before you hit "crazy long" lengths.

5. Are you more interested in gaining length, or gaining thickness? Or are you just "meh" about your hair?
    Keep thickness, gain length!

Yes, once a year at a salon.

Probably! I remember trying scalp massages, cones and sulfate free, wcc and more last time I was here. I'm already trying out a new routine with focus on scalp health this time around.

Not really. It hasn't caught up to me yet, I still feel like my hair is shoulder length. That's about where I've been lengthwise most of my life.

Yes. It's self care! But it has been nice with a break from the obsessive measuring etc, and just keep growing with benign neglect these past few years also.

10. Do you think you are more likely to eventually land on one length, or try several different ones and change it up?
    I think I'll change it up? maybe? But I might go for terminal first!
    ✿✿✿ Last trim: 14/12/2023 ✿✿✿

Length
    Buzz/BUZZ/CBL

Quote Originally Posted by cookies View Post
    I kinda want to keep the first one anyway, then if there’s subsequent ones they’d be hopefully virgin. But that’s just fortune telling as of now
    A while ago a member here grew their hair to donate their height in hair with chops they managed to do it

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    The "No End Goal" Thread (CHEESE!): Enjoying the Journey
    Oh yes, that's *much* better than my clumsy suggestion.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/APL/Class
    Type
    2b/F/ii

1. What was your starting point, and how long ago was it? I decided to grow to BSL from chin back in 2019, and then in October 2023 I missed having super long hair so I recommitted

2. What made you decide to grow your hair? Pole dance and long hair tiktok!! I started missing my tailbone length hair too much

3. Do you enjoy the process of growing your hair out? I do. Taking better care of my hair leads to taking better care of myself overall

4. If you had to make a wild guess, where do you think you'll find your hair's "sweet spot"? Have you had that length in the past? I think just past hip length would probably be it. I really liked that length in the past, and if I had to maintain there for some reason I could do it easily. I also really liked tailbone, tho it's a bit more high maintenance.

5. Are you more interested in gaining length, or gaining thickness? Or are you just "meh" about your hair? Both!! I want long healthy hair with the thickest hemline possible for my hair

6. Do you trim your hair? Yes, every few months I get a trim in a salon, and sometimes I microtrim in between if my ends are in really bad shape.

7. Has your routine changed since you've been on LHC? I stopped bleaching, started focusing more on scalp care, started using products meant for my hair type, reduced washes to 2x/week, and using different hair masks to add hydration, moisture, and protein back into my hair.

8. Do you consider your hair to be a big part of who you are? YES. It's not the end-all, be-all, but it is important. I think people recognize other people by their hair just as much as their facial features. Its why I'm super unhappy currently bc I tried to go back to brown and ended up with this red shade. Everyone says it looks good but it's not how I want, and it's not how I see myself.

9. Does taking care of your hair make you happy, or is it more of a chore? It makes me happy. I look forward to wash days, and I think of it as self care. It all gets me closer to my goals in the end.

10. Do you think you are more likely to eventually land on one length, or try several different ones and change it up? I really want to make it to Classic at least once. I might grow longer or cut back from there, but its been my goal since I was 18 and I haven't managed it yet. Spent too much time dyeing my hair. Now that I'm committed to my natural color I think I can do it
    long hair is self care
    Chin ♡ Collarbone ♡ APL ♡ BSL ♡ Mermaid ♡ Waist ♡ Hip ♡ TBL ♡

Length
    chin/waist/waist
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

This is the thread for me!!

I was a little past chin length, and this was about 3 years ago I believe.

I've grown and cut my hair since I was like 8 years old but I've always found long hair to be beautiful. Short hair is great but I find it's more part of an overall style.

I do when I am not so focused on the reaching a goal because then I feel inadequate until I'm there.

Probably around waist because any longer and it gets too annoying to deal with. Any shorter and it feels too short and I can't do braids and buns as well. I'm currently at this length.

I want to gain more length but keep my ends healthy with trims. I don't really lose thickness, but the ends get split and break off after a while.

Yes, usually about every year to year and a half. I might start going more often now.

It has changed constantly over the years. Now, I wash with sulfates every other day. Since I got a trim I am testing out non-silicone conditioner. To me, if hair is healthy, I don't think the products matter so much.

No.

It's usually a chore. I enjoy more the feeling of whipping my hair around or feeling it on my back.

I'm tired of growing it and cutting it. I'm going to keep growing but I am going to trim when I need it. Now even hip length looks too long for my tastes. It would be cool to reach mid-thigh length though but that's the longest I'd go.
    Chin | Shoulder | Collarbone | APL | BSL | Waist

Now growing for fun!

Length
    15/40/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

This is a great idea, Vampyrii - I like the length-specific threads for length-specific commiserating and advice, and the recent discussion was bothering me a little because it felt counterintuitive! Like, my view has always been - if you’re in a place between X and Y come hang out here whether you’re growing or maintaining.

At this point, I’m growing by default but not actively looking for a specific length and have no firm plans for ….anything really. On to the questions!

In true baanoo fashion, it was a meandering path. I started casually growing out my hair from a very cute funky chin-length bob in 2011, got to waist in 2014, trimmed back to chin in 2015, then started over - again very casually.

In 2019, I decided to grow a little more purposefully and see if I could grow past waist - which was the longest I had ever had it as an adult. I then got really sick in late 2019/early 2020 and lost a ton of hair. I had heard of LHC on Twitter and during my month or so of bedrest I started browsing the forum and realized a lot more was possible than I realized!

Yes? I mean, no one likes it when you’re growing out a funky situation and it’s in an awkward stage but once past that, it’s all fun and games!

4. If you had to make a wild guess, where do you think you'll find your hair's "sweet spot"? Have you had that length in the past
    Probably. Tbl has so far been a great length. I think that if I reach classic I’ll be able to do a single-braid coronet which would be A+. I don’t think I’ve had a particular length where I’ve said, oh yes this is it!

Well, thickness is something I can’t really control. Yes, I’m growing out the regained thickness post-shed, but it’s going to take ages. Yes, I’ll be slowly reshaping my hemline to get it back to straight from a U. Otherwise, it’s all just part of the experience.

My hair needs to be trimmed more often than I do it, I think. I’ve generally been a once a year trimmer and I keep telling myself it would be better to microtrim more frequently but that hasn’t happened yet!

100%. I didn’t know about heat damage, had never heard of WCC/CWC/loc, didn’t think fine hair would benefit from oiling, wet detangled (which is bad for me), had no idea about protective styling, would never have worn a sleep bonnet, and relied far too heavily on elastics and Bobby pins.

It’s definitely become a big part of my sense of style though I don’t think my personal identity is wrapped up in it.

How late am I running? How badly do I need to wash my hair? Do I also need to shave my legs? Lol! I love taking care of my hair except on days where I really need to wash but am definitely running behind.

Most likely I’ll find a length range and keep it somewhere within there but who’s to say! It’s all about the journey and not the destination for me.
    Last edited by baanoo; May 21st, 2023 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Clarity

Length
    Buzz/BUZZ/CBL

It wasn't counterintuitive it's being fair and not having two threads with overlap while all others only get one, but don't worry I honestly think they will wait for the hype to go down and people forget it existed and it gets pushed under a rug, that's how other sites I've been on have worked with issues like these still I'm glad this thread exists.
    Last edited by Bat; May 22nd, 2023 at 05:14 AM.