Thread: Hello and so glad I found you!

Length
    CBL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Hello and so glad I found you!

Hi everyone,

I'm a short-time lurker but I can already tell I'll become a long-term visitor. Some forums I have participated in require an introduction post, and though I don't see that requirement here, I'm going to do one anyway.

I stumbled upon this site while looking for guidance on using shampoo bars. I was looking for a travel-friendly haircare option, and also looking to reduce plastic bottles. As you can probably appreciate, it didn't take long for scope creep to set in. Now I know more about pre-wash oiling and hair masques and hair toys, and WOW! some people have really long hair!

I'm not specifically looking to grow my hair, but I'm very interested in caring for it more intentionally. I'd like it to look healthier than it does, behave more consistently, and frankly, help it be my one outstanding feature.

I'm a natural redhead, but not a vibrant tone. I'm also aging and getting some really lovely pure white hairs. I currently cover those hairs with Overtone conditioner every 2-3 weeks, since I have at least 20 years left in my career and I don't want to be overlooked for promotions for at least another 10. The Overtone tints those white hairs a lovely golden/copper color, and boosts the color of the still-red hairs just a bit. My immediate goals are to grow out some unfortunate layers, improve overall shine and bounce, and generally start celebrating the beautiful hair I've always taken for granted. And of course, now that I see all these amazing longhaired photos and read the trials and rewards of growing out, I'm becoming interested in whether I should also try to grow my own hair out. I had near WL in college, but it was terribly unhealthy, and I've never attempted to grow out my hair since. Maybe now's the time?

I really enjoy the friendly and supportive nature of this forum, and I've already learned so much. I'm looking forward to continuing to learn from all of you!

Length
    APL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Hello and so glad I found you!

Welcome!

I used to be a redhead (strawberry blonde to red) but now have medium golden brown hair that reaches to my arm pits. It didn't darken until after it came back from chemo (grew back in a dark blonde color and kept darkening gradually until I got my current color, though my eyebrows are still my old color). No grays yet, but once they appear (if they ever do, since I'm nearly 51 years old and still no grays), I will be covering them with Natural Instincts in my current color (since it would be too hard to go back to my old color, so might as well keep the golden brown. Since I have a warm complexion, it's not like it washes me out, but the gray/white might).

I don't use color enhancing shampoo or conditioner, I use Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp 2 in 1 (since I also have dandruff or dry scalp) and haven't colored my hair since 2005 (I dyed it a deeper shade of red, since I still had my old color at the time). I chose Natural Instincts because I read somewhere online that you should use natural dyes after chemo (even though it's been a few years, but the less chemicals you're exposed to the better) and what I've read about Henna (it can be messy) thought that I should stick with the store brand natural dyes.

Length
    20 SL/33 HL/45 CL
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

Welcome! I also did not come with the intention of growing out my hair seriously long, but it kind of creeps onto you...

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Hi, welcome here! When I joined I only wanted to grow my hair to waist length, but the longer it got the longer I wanted it, so watch out for LHC-itis!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Welcome to the forum!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Howdy, good to meet you : )

Length
    2"/TBL/???
    Type
    4c/F/iii

Hello! I'd never heard of the Overtone, it sounds like an interesting option for whenever grays are starting to show unevenly. Thanks for sharing!
    Started: 13/11/2014.Elapsed
    MBL :: WAIST :: abyss :: hip:: TBL :: class
    Lady Sarah of the Invisible Warlands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights