Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whole Body No-Poo Lifestyle

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Whole Body No-Poo Lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by yeshuasdaughter View Post
    I am a medicinal herbalist with over twenty years of experience. I forage in the forest for much of my medicine, food, and hygiene.
    That doesn't mean you are beyond learning, and trust us when we say BS is not a good thing. Vinegar, I am not bashing, but Baking Soda: trash it at least for body or hair care... please!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/28.5"/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GordonMurphella View Post
    Oookay. But baking soda and vinegar aren't found in the forest, far as I know Pax
    LOL, Oh I really laughed at this idea!

Yeshuasdaughter, yucca, for example, has natural sapponins that you can use to cleanse your entire body. Maybe you have something similar in your forest that will be a completely natural option for you?
    BSL -> MBL -> WL (almost) -> Hip->TBL!

Oh goodness. I don't want to start an argument, I'm just saying what works for me, and my history. That's all.

Please don't make fun of me. I'm autistic and very sensitive. I'm just shairing how I do things!

My great hope in this thread is that others would get excited and share their special natural skincare methods too

Natural medicine is where it's at.

I've used baking soda as a cleanser for body and home since circa 2006.

It's good for the skin and scalp on people with eczema and psoriasis. Or sensitive skin after radiation. And a fabulous internal treatment for cancer or blood sugar issues.

Baking soda and borax healed my radiation burns that lasted well over a year. Currently I use about 2 cups of baking soda or borax, but it was up to 4 cups when the burns were acute.

Of course there's too much of a good thing, but when used as needed, it really helps.

For long term, sage or cedar tea are also nice for the hair. It's not easy to keep that much around the house, and if purchased, the price can quickly add up.

So to clarify: I use sodium bicarbonate as needed on the scalp. Sometimes often, sometimes rarely. But usually it's a vinegar rinse. I'm not a purist though. I do use conditioner now and again. I also like to make tea or vitamin c hair masques as well.

When my hair first grew back after cancer, it was type 4c curls, and I couldn't even brush it. I used tons of very greasy, very heavy conditioners. I found that baking soda and borax were great softeners for the hair.

One thing I do nearly every single time I bathe is a borax soak. Oh how that softens the skin and loosens the curl pattern. I adore it. 2 cups of borax, right into the bath water. I couldn't live without my lovely borax baths.
    Last edited by yeshuasdaughter; February 7th, 2023 at 01:17 PM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Nobody is making fun of you. But skin has a pH level and compared to that neutral n°, baking soda is extremely alkaline, so not good for skin at all, no matter what anyone says. I mean I'm glad it has worked for you, but that doesn't negate the fact that something more pH balanced is much safer and gentle on the skin.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

So to clarify: I use sodium bicarbonate as needed on the scalp. Sometimes often, sometimes rarely. But usually it's a vinegar rinse. I'm not a purist though. I do use conditioner now and again. I also like to make tea or vitamin c hair masques as well.

When my hair first grew back after cancer, it was type 4c curls, and I couldn't even brush it. I used tons of very greasy, very heavy conditioners. I found that baking soda and borax were great softeners for the hair.

One thing I do nearly every single time I bathe is a borax soak. Oh how that softens the skin and loosens the curl pattern.
    I adore it. 2 cups of borax, right into the bath water. I couldn't live without my lovely borax baths.
    Yeah, it's relaxing your hair by damaging it.

You talking about it softening is exactly what I was referring to when I quoted from Science-y Hair Blog. You really ought to read the link.

I have no intention of making fun of you but I'm also not going to refrain from telling you when you're wrong about something.

It turns out our national eczema society does acknowledge baking soda as effective for relieving itching, and I know people do bleach baths for antibacterial purposes so I'm not going to comment on their uses for that because I don't know enough. I will say though that healthy skin probably shouldn't need it - but skin regenerates, whereas any damage to hair (including soaking in alkaline solutions) is permanent and cumulative.

Do what works for you, fine, but you must be aware of the risks before promoting it for others.

(Although the stuff about essiac tea earlier in the thread IS nonsense - if those 4 herbs could remedy even just one thing to that miraculous extent do you not think pharmaceutical companies would be all over them, patenting specific formulae in order to disallow competition and make maximum profit?! These companies don't leave any natural resource unexploited if it has true medicinal use.)
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Yeah, it's relaxing your hair by damaging it.

You talking about it softening is exactly what I was referring to when I quoted from Science-y Hair Blog. You really ought to read the link.

I have no intention of making fun of you but I'm also not going to refrain from telling you when you're wrong about something.

It turns out our national eczema society does acknowledge baking soda as effective for relieving itching, and I know people do bleach baths for antibacterial purposes so I'm not going to comment on their uses for that because I don't know enough. I will say though that healthy skin probably shouldn't need it - but skin regenerates, whereas any damage to hair (including soaking in alkaline solutions) is permanent and cumulative.

Do what works for you, fine, but you must be aware of the risks before promoting it for others.

(Although the stuff about essiac tea earlier in the thread IS nonsense - if those 4 herbs could remedy even just one thing to that miraculous extent do you not think pharmaceutical companies would be all over them, patenting specific formulae in order to disallow competition and make maximum profit?! These companies don't leave any natural resource unexploited if it has true medicinal use.)
    Oh yeah, for sure.

There is in truth quite the difference, and I agree with Spoons on this one, between doing it for oneself and making it out to be the thing to do in general.

Anyway, probably my last 2cts.

Actually I got so sick during chemo that I quit cancer treatment early. I was supposed to have at least three more rounds of RCHOP. I still had cancer. I cured it over the course of a couple years, with 100 grams of protein a day, Essiac, and lots of loving care from my daughter. I know someone who shrunk cancer on his tongue. Sheep sorrel root is a gift from God.

I know that it doesn't work for everyone, but I'm living proof that it works, at the very least, to reduce inflammation, and increase the quality of life.

There are so many amazing herbs everywhere. I staunchly believe that the cure for every disease anyone will ever have is located within a mile from their house.

Also I'm not promoting anything. I'm infodumping! And I'm hoping that others will infodump too. And we can all celebrate our amazing discoveries and wonderful ways we individually care for ourselves.

Infodumping is glorious. You ever hear an autistic kid talk about something they love studying or doing? Maybe a favorite fandom? Or facts about dinosaurs?

That's how I am with natural medicine!

Oh and don't get me started on looms and weaving techniques!

So go ahead and infodump on your nopoo adventures! What do you like to use?
    Last edited by yeshuasdaughter; February 8th, 2023 at 02:15 AM.

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Actually I got so sick during chemo that I quit cancer treatment early. I was supposed to have at least three more rounds of RCHOP. I still had cancer. I cured it over the course of a couple years, with 100 grams of protein a day, Essiac, and lots of loving care from my daughter. I know someone who shrunk cancer on his tongue. Sheep sorrel root is a gift from God.

I know that it doesn't work for everyone, but I'm living proof that it works, at the very least, to reduce inflammation, and increase the quality of life.

There are so many amazing herbs everywhere. I staunchly believe that the cure for every disease anyone will ever have is located within a mile from their house.

Also I'm not promoting anything. I'm infodumping! And I'm hoping that others will infodump too. And we can all celebrate our amazing discoveries and wonderful ways we individually care for ourselves.

Infodumping is glorious. You ever hear an autistic kid talk about something they love studying or doing? Maybe a favorite fandom? Or facts about dinosaurs?

That's how I am with natural medicine!

Oh and don't get me started on looms and weaving techniques!

So go ahead and infodump on your nopoo adventures! What do you like to use?
    Nobody is making fun of you, but you don't cure cancer with essiac and protein, you just don't. I applaud respect and awe at nature but "I staunchly believe that the cure for every disease anyone will ever have is located within a mile from their house." is just, well, nuts.

Done.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Honestly, and this is well my personal opinion, I think spreading info like this, saying that you quit cancer treatment early (giving who knows who ideas) is outright dangerous. If it is a personal recount, by all means, but don't say this is what is *good* and what people need to do, do not generalize and I hope that's not what you're doing, but still it might give a very innocent bystander "ideas". And yes, everyone does with their own body what they may, but this is...

I mean I can't believe my eyes and ears...

Is this even OK?

Oh gosh, why does everyone think I'm promoting something, or like telling people what to do?

I'm just telling my story, and trying to make friends. And I'm hoping you will tell your stories too