Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Budget friendly hair toys? And does anyone make their own?

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Budget friendly hair toys? And does anyone make their own?

For fellow Aussies I found this website with some inexpensive hair sticks and forks. I have no idea what the quality would be like and it probably wouldn't be worthwhile for many to pay for international shipping, but just sharing this in case it helps someone https://eclectico.com.au/collections/hair-sticks

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Emila View Post
    Oh that's good! I'm sorry I might have misunderstood what you were looking for before! But I'm glad that you found one you like! Comfort is an important factor for claw clips!
    I noticed there are quite a lot of claw clips on etsy, but then you don't get to see it in person before you buy which might be important.
    Yes it's super hard to buy these online.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Chopsticks is probably the cheapest I can think of. I've shortened and sharpened quite a few bamboo or wooden chopsticks. I have a big hairtoy collection but still use my chopsticks sometimes. Some of them were completely free - given with Asian dinner. Just wash them well after eating with them.

Length
    20 SL/33 HL/45 CL
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

I'm really bad at spending money-i.e., I rarely do so, so I haven't bought much in the way of hair toys even though I love them. I just got a bunch of acrylic hair sticks as Christmas presents, but before that I made my own out of dowels from hobby lobby. I cut the dowels to size with a tool that wasn't made for it but worked, and then I used a pencil sharpener to make the end pointy. From there I just sand papered it until it was as completely smooth as I could make(which was quite smooth) and oiled it for good measure(I'm still not sure it did anything) and it was good to go! I decorated a couple with beads and shells, but mostly wore them plain and hidden in my hair, and I liked all of them a lot. They are very strong too.
    Last edited by Braided Lady; January 24th, 2023 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Spelling

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Chopsticks are such a good idea.

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Braided Lady View Post
    I'm really bad at spending money-i.e., I rarely do so, so I haven't bought much in the way of hair toys even though I love them. I just got a bunch of acrylic hate sticks as Christmas presents, but before that I made my own out of dowels from hobby lobby. I cut the dowels to size with a tool that wasn't made for it but worked, and then I used a pencil sharpener to make the end pointy. From there I just sand papered it until it was as completely smooth as I could make(which was quite smooth) and oiled it for good measure(I'm still not sure it did anything) and it was good to go! I decorated a couple with beads and shells, but mostly wore them plain and hidden in my hair, and I liked all of them a lot. They are very strong too.
    Braided lady they sounds really nice! I'd love to see a photo of them, if you feel like sharing that is!

Length
    20 SL/33 HL/45 CL
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

Here's some pictures. Some sticks, some cheap plastic combs I decorated, and my favorite home decorated bobby pin.
    Also the bag of dowels.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/y4h6T9in2nSU7ay46
    ETA
    My favorite comb broke when I dropped it and I still need to superglue it back together, so I people it with an erasure for the picture.
    Last edited by Braided Lady; January 24th, 2023 at 08:12 AM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

It's fun decorating your own, isn't it? My dad once carved some sticks for me.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Braided Lady, they are lovely! I think you've inspired me to give this a try thanks for sharing

Length
    20 SL/33 HL/45 CL
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Emila View Post
    Braided Lady, they are lovely! I think you've inspired me to give this a try thanks for sharing
    Wonderful! I would love to see pictures if yours turn out well.
    I am very happy with mine, and yes, it was quite fun to make them, Lapushka.