Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sulfate free/mild shampoo with silicones?

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Sulfate free/mild shampoo with silicones?

Hi guys, maybe you can help me. Recently I've had some issues with dandruff, probably due to dry scalp. Usually only a day or two after a hairwash, no itchiness. I use the L'Oréal Dreamlength shampoo, which has SLES as a surfactant. So my guess is, for the moment, it might be a bit too drying, especially since I noticed less sebum production as well. I can now go a week between washes, instead of the usual 3/4 days.

It might not be the shampoo at all or by itself, but the hot water, because after showering, I have some dry, flaky patches on my face as well which are fine after moisturising. But it's a bit hard to moisturise the scalp. Or do you guys know any products for that purpose?

I really love silicones because they make my hair so easy to comb. And I usually have the worst tangles close to the scalp.
    So long story short, do you know any mild shampoos that still have silicones or at least give the hair great slip?
    Most stuff that's sulfate free seems to be silicone free as well. Otherwise I'd have to go natural with the shampoo and use a silicone conditioner on top.

Length
    BSL/BCL/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Sulfate free/mild shampoo with silicones?

I don’t have an answer to you main question, but to a side question. The Ordinary has a scalp serum specifically for a clean scalp to moisturize it. This is the one I’m talking about
    Chin • APL • BSL • MBL •WL​ • HL • BCL • TBL • CL
    Lady Marie of the Scarlet Kin
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Mild shampoos with silicones I have used: neutrogena healthy scalp hydro boost, hask argon oil repairing shampoo used to be mild with silicones (haven’t used for a few years)

I am in the US, so products are sometimes different or not available. I also have a dry scalp as well as face & body, only in winter. And am in search for a solution. I tried CWC, putting the conditioner on the scalp for the first condish. I tried applying a light conditioner to my scalp, and I switched shampoo. Putting conditioner on my scalp anywhere in the wash requires more frequent washing, and the minerals in my water leave my skin dry, SO I am not winning the battle.

ETA, mine is not itchy or uncomfortable at all, it is more annoying to have a powder of dry skin inside hats and clothes.
    Last edited by rosenester; January 8th, 2023 at 09:54 AM.
    Maintaining 31” HL last bleach nov 2020 final goal is HL virgin hair by 6/2025 for my 40th

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I would 1/ first get rid of the flakes. Usually comes from oilier hair, so stretching the washes will probably be it. Try Head & Shoulders; no: for real. Leave it in 2 minutes after sudsing, suds some more, rinse. See what that does and if it helps any.

*Then* use a milder shampoo.

At least, that would be what I would do!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mariekeeee14 View Post
    I don’t have an answer to you main question, but to a side question. The Ordinary has a scalp serum specifically for a clean scalp to moisturize it. This is the one I’m talking about
    Thanks, Mariekeeee, that sounds interesting. Funnily, after watching the ordinary site, the instagram algorithm showed me this head & shoulders scalp treatment
    https://www.dm.de/head-und-shoulders...540423202.html
    I've seen there's an entire line and the Derma shampoo has SLS and SLES in it. So does that mean sulfates are not that drying, since this line is targeted at dry scalp? I might give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by rosenester View Post
    Mild shampoos with silicones I have used: neutrogena healthy scalp hydro boost, hask argon oil repairing shampoo used to be mild with silicones (haven’t used for a few years)

I am in the US, so products are sometimes different or not available. I also have a dry scalp as well as face & body, only in winter. And am in search for a solution. I tried CWC, putting the conditioner on the scalp for the first condish. I tried applying a light conditioner to my scalp, and I switched shampoo. Putting conditioner on my scalp anywhere in the wash requires more frequent washing, and the minerals in my water leave my skin dry, SO I am not winning the battle.

ETA, mine is not itchy or uncomfortable at all, it is more annoying to have a powder of dry skin inside hats and clothes.
    What you are describing sounds very similar to what I'm currently experiencing. Did the conditioner on the scalp help with the dandruff, even if you had to wash more often? I don't think we have neutrogena shampoos, but I might find the hask one. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I would 1/ first get rid of the flakes. Usually comes from oilier hair, so stretching the washes will probably be it. Try Head & Shoulders; no: for real. Leave it in 2 minutes after sudsing, suds some more, rinse. See what that does and if it helps any.

*Then* use a milder shampoo.

At least, that would be what I would do!
    Thank you, Lapushka, I might try the h&s derma shampoo and see if that helps any. The thing is, my hair is less oily than usual at the moment, by a lot. That's why I stretched the time between washes a bit. I thought washing was making the issue worse, because I see a lot of flakes during the first and second day after a wash. But I've never had dandruff before, so I'm not really informed.

I nearly started a thread about this exactly a few weeks into the winter when the skin on my face started getting dry patches and my scalp started flaking (neither has ever happened before, I live in a new city since this summer with a different water source and also my skin is becoming more sensitive and dry over the last few years)

Using a light conditioner from scalp to ends as the first condish in CWC seems to have helped my last 4 washes… basically 1 week, so not a lot of data. I usually wash 2x a week. Also, switching my shower head to a stronger stream seems to help kind of exfoliate in a way as well, so I may get one of those shampoo-brush-things to try. I’ll be checking in here to see if you find any other solutions!
    Maintaining 31” HL last bleach nov 2020 final goal is HL virgin hair by 6/2025 for my 40th

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Finda View Post
    Thanks, Mariekeeee, that sounds interesting. Funnily, after watching the ordinary site, the instagram algorithm showed me this head & shoulders scalp treatment
    https://www.dm.de/head-und-shoulders...540423202.html
    I've seen there's an entire line and the Derma shampoo has SLS and SLES in it. So does that mean sulfates are not that drying, since this line is targeted at dry scalp? I might give it a try.

What you are describing sounds very similar to what I'm currently experiencing. Did the conditioner on the scalp help with the dandruff, even if you had to wash more often? I don't think we have neutrogena shampoos, but I might find the hask one. Thanks

Thank you, Lapushka, I might try the h&s derma shampoo and see if that helps any. The thing is, my hair is less oily than usual at the moment, by a lot. That's why I stretched the time between washes a bit. I thought washing was making the issue worse, because I see a lot of flakes during the first and second day after a wash. But I've never had dandruff before, so I'm not really informed.
    It can be extremely hard distinguishing between oily & dry hair, but if you have never had dry hair in your life, I'm willing to bet it's an oily scalp and you should treat it as such, coming from me who has made many mistakes in that area, so... I'm one to talk.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Waist/BCL/FT
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I second Head & Shoulders! I struggled with dry scalp for years. I have eczema prone skin and I can go days without washing my hair. I tried a lot of things to get my scalp to behave, including cutting sulfates, but the simple solution of Head & shoulders worked really well for me and now I have no issues. I am using it once a week on my entire scalp. I do a front scalp wash another time during the week too, but that doesn't reach the back of my scalp, and I still don't get itchy. Might not work for you, but it's a very inexpensive solution, cheaper than a lot of other products. From time to time, I try using milder shampoos, but every time I regret leaving what works behind... :-P

“To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

Vichy Dercos Ultra Soothing Shampoo For Dry Hair! It doesn't have SLS and has silicones in it (be sure to buy the one for dry hair, because there's also another product for oily hair, and that has SLS).

I use it all the time as my second wash (I use dry shampoo between washes so I personally need a shampoo with SLS the first wash to clean up my scalp, but I also have a sensitive scalp and I need a gentle, second shampoo, to sooth any flare-ups I might get). I also let the Vichy shampoo sit on my scalp for a few minutes before rinsing it. It has Sensirine, a molecule that they say has calming properties.

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Thanks for all your input! So, I've tried to go with the head&shoulders solution. I bought the Derma line and tried it today.

Rosenester, coincidentally, the instructions of the conditioner were to use it on scalp and hair, so that's what I did. And afterwards I used the scalp mask.

My hair looks so clean, the roots are actually sticking up. So It's gonna be interesting to see how long this will keep. I think the scalp mask had some menthol in it and it sort off made the scalp feel very cool. I liked the feeling.

The conditioning properties were enough for the upper hair, but I think the ends will still need my regular conditioner.

After the wash I was surprised how not red my scalp was at the part line, lol. So maybe it's helping.