Thread: So I finally took the plunge to recapture the auburn red I had as a youth. LOVE IT!!!

Length
    Short/Short/APL
    Type
    2b/F/i

Default So I finally took the plunge to recapture the auburn red I had as a youth. LOVE IT!!!

I had gone back and forth and back and forth as whether I wanted to proceed with henna. It is very much a commitment. I finally decided to take the plunge, cautiously. I did my whole head today with a 50/50 blend of henna/cassia.

OMGOSH this is the hair I had as a kid! Its the hair I often try to replicate with high end chemical colors. So pretty already! So very pretty. Since I'm aging auburn naturally (albeit browned and dulled), it took so well and looks sooooo natural, even though it has yet to oxidize.

A HUGE thank you to everyone who has given me advice and to Obsidian who graciously sent me 2 boxes of henna. I'm beyond grateful.

From here on out I plan to do a 50/50 mix, only on the roots, every 6-8 weeks. If the length fades maybe I'll do a 25/75 henna to cassia mix on the length, but probably not more than every year. I want to try very hard to have restraint and to keep this natural look.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: So I finally took the plunge to recapture the auburn red I had as a youth. LOVE I

Glad it worked so well for you : D

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: So I finally took the plunge to recapture the auburn red I had as a youth. LOVE I

I'm so happy to hear it worked out, and great call on your upkeep / refresh plan!

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I knew you'd love, henna is awesome. I'd love to see pictures once its oxidized

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Glad you like it. I'd love to see pictures as well.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    Short/Short/APL
    Type
    2b/F/i

Okay!

I wonder how I can post pics since I’m so new here?

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Upload to a image hosting site and post the link to the photo

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=114999

This has instructions on how to post pictures

Length
    buzz/31/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Hooray! I’m so glad you love it - I suspected you might! Henna is indeed a commitment, but as you’ve had either natural or dyed red/auburn hair forever, you seemed like a great candidate for it - it only really makes me nervous when people who like to change their hair colour a lot talk about trying it.

Your upkeep plan sounds smart too! I do my roots a little more often than that, but that’s mainly because I enjoy it - both the process (a nice little herbal mud self-care time!) and the result (yay! Glowing red brown hair!).

Length
    Short/Short/APL
    Type
    2b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by DropStitches View Post
    Hooray! I’m so glad you love it - I suspected you might! Henna is indeed a commitment, but as you’ve had either natural or dyed red/auburn hair forever, you seemed like a great candidate for it - it only really makes me nervous when people who like to change their hair colour a lot talk about trying it.

Your upkeep plan sounds smart too! I do my roots a little more often than that, but that’s mainly because I enjoy it - both the process (a nice little herbal mud self-care time!) and the result (yay! Glowing red brown hair!).

Hee! Maybe I'll do roots more often, depending on how regrowth looks. TBH I *don't* love the process/smell, BUT I def love the results! )