Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used to be bright auburn as a kid/youth, now at 48 my hair is solidly brown>>>>

Length
    Short/Short/APL
    Type
    2b/F/i

Question Used to be bright auburn as a kid/youth, now at 48 my hair is solidly brown>>>>

As any true redhead knows, it's more than a color. Red hair shapes and defines you growing up (for better or worse lol!) When my hair started dulling/browning in my 30s it was devasting! So I've been doing semi and demi permanent coloring for 5-10 years now. Love the initial copper/auburn color, hate how dry it feels even with olaplex treatments. And even with demis, which are the gentlest and wash out in 4-6 weeks, there is some damage, even if just a little.

I've experienced profound hair loss over the past couple of years, but am currently a month in to prescription medication for it. I've also decided I want to regrow my short hair! In order to get there I want to ditch chemical coloring altogether for hair health. Henna seems like the obvious choice, except imo experience it can be just as much of a commitment at chemical coloring. Also, and this is JUST my opinion/experience, the color can get way too dark way too fast/easily. It's so easy to get two toned hair fast.

SO I'm hoping you knowledgeable henna experts can help me! My main questions are:

1) How do you avoid harsh lines of demarcation?
    2) How do you avoid color buildup and consequent two toned hair (bright lighter roots and darker red length).
    3) IYE/IYO what is the best brand of henna?

A sincere thanks in advance!!!

Length
    Short/Short/APL
    Type
    2b/F/i

Default Re: Used to be bright auburn as a kid/youth, now at 48 my hair is solidly brown>>>>

and idk if it's as "solidly brown" as I orginally said. My natural aging hair is more like brown inside with an auburn look outside. Still I desire the red of my youth!

Length
    CBL/31/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Used to be bright auburn as a kid/youth, now at 48 my hair is solidly brown>>>>

Same here! Formerly auburn turned dull-ish brown that occasionally seems red in the sunlight.

I am a little fuzzy on my timeline, but during 2020 and 2021 I applied henna to my hair with pretty good results. But, henna can really only go darker, not lighter. So while it was redder, it was also darker brown. My hair grows about 6" a year, so it has been easy to grow out. With my hair down or in a ponytail, you honestly can't see a demarcation line, but when I wear my hair up in a protective style, my bun is still noticeably redder than the hair closer to my scalp.
    Onwards.

26-BSL-28-29-WL-31-32-HL

Length
    Short/Short/APL
    Type
    2b/F/i

Yes, Fern! How does this happen? I legit had red hair as a kid! Was called "red" as a nickname even! Had red hair *everywhere* lol.

I wonder if just doing the roots ever 6-8 weeks after doing an initial treatment would work? I want to ditch the chemical coloring, but I don't know if I can ever give up red hair. It's just **me** if that makes sense. I almost wish I wasn't born red. Then I wouldn't feel the need to do any changes.

Length
    CBL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I love red hair! Had colored mine red for a great chunk of my life. I personally avoided those demarcation lines by carefully hennaing or coloring (I did both/either) my roots area like a balayage, except quite close to the roots so that I'd still be a total redhead, but wouldn't look weird when my natural hair would grow out.

I avoided the "two-toned" look by simply touching up as needed, and personally it didn't effect the quality of my hair. As for the best brand, no idea anymore! I haven't had red hair in several years. But man, do I ever miss it. 100% my favorite look on myself. Now that my hair is all-natural and long unlike ever before, I love it, but I'll still always feel that the red hair was the most "me" I've ever been hahah, I get it.

Anyways! There are a few threads I've come across in the past talking about how much our childhood hair colors have changed as we grew older. I forget the explanations, but I've seen plenty of platinum blondes become jet black brunettes and what not! Happens!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I don't particularly care about the color I get from my henna, so no advice there--but Jamila and Nupur are two widely available brands that I trust.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I'm naturally light ashy blond and used henna for two years. The only way to really avoid going too dark is just do root touch ups.
    The frequency of touch ups will depend on how fast your hair grows and your personal preference. Since my roots showed so fast, I generally went about 4 weeks but you can probably get away with much longer, especially if your hair is on the darker side.

I personally like jamila but make sure to use the body art quality and watch out for counterfeit. It seems to be mislabled often.
    If you are in the US, I can send you a box of jamila that really needs a new home since I won't use it.

Edit, I actually have a bix and a half you can have. PM if you want it

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

1) How do you avoid harsh lines of demarcation?
    Applying to wet hair is the best way to make sure there's no hard lines, but henna is pretty forgiving in this regard

2) How do you avoid color buildup and consequent two toned hair (bright lighter roots and darker red length).
    only touch up your roots. A little overlap is inevitable and fine!

3) IYE/IYO what is the best brand of henna?
    There's no "best brand" so long as you're only considering pure henna-- a lot of the designations are just fancy marketing and as you can see in this experiement I did, they all dye the same as they're the same plant.

Since you're worried about it getting to dark, I'd really suggest a blend of half henna and half cassia--that will keep it from going to dark easily like pure henna does

Length
    Short/Short/APL
    Type
    2b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I'm naturally light ashy blond and used henna for two years. The only way to really avoid going too dark is just do root touch ups.
    The frequency of touch ups will depend on how fast your hair grows and your personal preference. Since my roots showed so fast, I generally went about 4 weeks but you can probably get away with much longer, especially if your hair is on the darker side.

I personally like jamila but make sure to use the body art quality and watch out for counterfeit. It seems to be mislabled often.
    If you are in the US, I can send you a box of jamila that really needs a new home since I won't use it.

Edit, I actually have a bix and a half you can have. PM if you want it
    I don’t have PM access yet as a brand new member, but bless you for your thoughtfulness.🙏🏻

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by EggLover View Post
    I don’t have PM access yet as a brand new member, but bless you for your thoughtfulness.🙏🏻
    You can drop me a email tarantula_lady@yahoo.com