Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guy new to long hair - dealing with multiple hair types

Length
    6/18/20

Default Guy new to long hair - dealing with multiple hair types

Hi everyone, hope you're well. I got on here because I'm two years into this hair growing journey and have a trim coming up, so I'm hoping to find some advice or perspective on how to shape it as it grows out. My hair is currently down to my collarbone or so and my bangs are about jawbone length. Dig the length, want to keep it going for at least another year and then start just maintaining it after that. What I've learned is that the hair on top of my head and on my crown is straight while everything below it spans the gamut of wavy AND curly (like 2A - 3C). Plus my hair is all coarse and thick, so there ends up just being a ton of extra volume on the sides and back about halfway down my head that's pretty unflattering. So what I'm hoping to think through is whether to ask the stylist for help reducing the bulky areas (like leave the top hairs long and do some layering on the underlayers?), or if that's a mistake and I should either shape it once I'm happy with the overall length (in probably a year or two) or just learn how to style and treat the two layers differently. Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated!

Length
    BSL/TBL/TERM
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Guy new to long hair - dealing with multiple hair types

Hello and welcome!

I don't know if you're following Trav White and Alexander Demergis on Youtube, basically, these young men share their long hair journey and how to style those awkward phases, you can check them up for inspiration, so even if you go to a stylist, you might have an actual image for reference.

As for haircare routine, I don't think male and female hairs have too much of a difference, treat it gently, avoid heat and mechanical damage, etc, all those things can be found in this forum, read the stickies for the important threads, for example, we have threads like:

Buzz to Chin Length
    Chin to Shoulder Length
    Shoulder to APL Length
    Non-Growth Oriented Thread for Shorter Lengths
    Growing Out Layers
    Hang out in these threads and you might find tips that suit your length and layers.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; October 3rd, 2022 at 08:55 AM.
    98cm 1b/C/10.3cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][My Hair Story][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Length
    6/18/20

Quote Originally Posted by tuanyiji View Post
    Hello and welcome!

I don't know if you're following Trav White and Alexander Demergis on Youtube, basically, these young men share their long hair journey and how to style those awkward phases, you can check them up for inspiration, so even if you go to a stylist, you might have an actual image for reference.

As for haircare routine, I don't think male and female hairs have too much of a difference, treat it gently, avoid heat and mechanical damage, etc, all those things can be found in this forum, read the stickies for the important threads, for example, we have threads like:

Buzz to Chin Length
    Chin to Shoulder Length
    Shoulder to APL Length
    Non-Growth Oriented Thread for Shorter Lengths
    Growing Out Layers
    Hang out in these threads and you might find tips that suit your length and layers.

Thanks! Trav White has given me some ideas on how to shape things. His app is neat, too - cool to see so many other dudes on the same journey.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Welcome.

Are you sure you actually need a trim. If it's not damaged, I say: just keep on growing. You will get past the awkward stages much faster if you just keep on growing it. Unless there is a reason you need it to look good (say for work or so), then yeah; I get it!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

An undercut would certainly reduce the thickness. Somebody on here--illicitlizard, maybe?--had gotten an undercut to help reduce the weight of her very thick hair and was quite pleased with the end result. As to whether to try a different cut now or to wait until you're at the end goal length, I suppose that depends on what you want. My initial thought would be to wait on an undercut for now, since many people find their hair is less voluminous and curly as it gets longer. (The additional weight of the hair "pulls out" the texture. I style most of my hair near-straight, whereas the short lock at the side of my face is always a corkscrew curl, lol.) But if the volume is bothering you enough that you feel like you're not going to enjoy your hair in the intermediate year, then probably better to try something now.

Length
    6/18/20

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Welcome.

Are you sure you actually need a trim. If it's not damaged, I say: just keep on growing. You will get past the awkward stages much faster if you just keep on growing it. Unless there is a reason you need it to look good (say for work or so), then yeah; I get it!
    Thanks! All about this, despite the common advice of trimming every couple of months! My last trim was in December 2021. Professional appearance is the main reason for wanting to shape it a bit - my role is has a fair amount of leadership and public scrutiny for me and my team, so I feel an internal pressure to "keep it looking nice" even as I completely buck the company culture by growing it out and really it behaves itself pretty well, but the last couple of months certain areas have really become a hot mess.

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    An undercut would certainly reduce the thickness. Somebody on here--illicitlizard, maybe?--had gotten an undercut to help reduce the weight of her very thick hair and was quite pleased with the end result. As to whether to try a different cut now or to wait until you're at the end goal length, I suppose that depends on what you want. My initial thought would be to wait on an undercut for now, since many people find their hair is less voluminous and curly as it gets longer. (The additional weight of the hair "pulls out" the texture. I style most of my hair near-straight, whereas the short lock at the side of my face is always a corkscrew curl, lol.) But if the volume is bothering you enough that you feel like you're not going to enjoy your hair in the intermediate year, then probably better to try something now.
    Thanks! I'm definitely leaning towards just asking for shaping rather than an undercut. Just too many unknowns before I get to the desired length. But when I grab that underlayer and pull it out of the way... dang, my hair looks so much better so it's tempting to chop that part off! Lol

Length
    6/18/20

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    I feel you on the errant curl too for sure. I have a singular Molly Ringwald curl behind my right ear. Cute lil thing haha

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by alex1fly View Post
    I feel you on the errant curl too for sure. I have a singular Molly Ringwald curl behind my right ear. Cute lil thing haha
    Those of us having this actress appear in their teens, raise your hand! LOL <raises hand>
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Bald/Pixie/Hip+

Quote Originally Posted by alex1fly View Post
    Thanks! Trav White has given me some ideas on how to shape things. His app is neat, too - cool to see so many other dudes on the same journey.
    I'm in the Facebook group of his and most of the guys there have told me it's best to hold out a year before getting your first trim if you are anything like me it's hard to resist trimming urges but apparently it's worth holding out of course it's up to how your hair deals with not being trimmed.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I'm in the Facebook group of his and most of the guys there have told me it's best to hold out a year before getting your first trim if you are anything like me it's hard to resist trimming urges but apparently it's worth holding out of course it's up to his your hair deals with not being trimmed.
    It's a good exercise in patience and will serve you well through other issues.