Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Homemade remedies for dandruff?

Default Any Homemade remedies for dandruff?

From last month dandruff started appearing my hair. I was bit afraid and started using dandruff products but it didn't reduced. Earlier it was in just scalp but now its spread to all around hair and scalp. I am really worry now and I think those product wont help because already tried.
    Can one suggest me a good remedies for dandruff.

Thank You in advance.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Any Homemade remedies for dandruff?

Quote Originally Posted by KapoorAradhana View Post
    From last month dandruff started appearing my hair. I was bit afraid and started using dandruff products but it didn't reduced. Earlier it was in just scalp but now its spread to all around hair and scalp. I am really worry now and I think those product wont help because already tried.
    Can one suggest me a good remedies for dandruff.

Thank You in advance.
    I would just not mess with it, and get some Head & Shoulders, or any generic anti-dandruff shampoo. The key is to let it suds up, then let it sit in your hair for a couple minutes, before you rinse. HTH.

I said not to mess with it, because the longer it's a mess, the more your hair could (potentially) fall out; or start to.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Boil up a double handful of leaves from a lemon tree, allow to cool until just warm, and use the liquid as a hair rinse.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

That would seem extremely drying to the scalp, though. Lemon?

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Not all dandruff shampoos are the same, which did you use? Head and shoulders does minimal for me unless I get the one with selenium sulfide instead of zinc.
    The best one I've used though is T/Sal, it has salicylic acid which stopped all the flakes and itch after just one use. I let the lather sit for a good 5 minutes so it can work.

If your condition gets worse or spreads beyond your hair, you should see a dermatologist as it could be a skin issue that no amount of medicated shampoo will help.

Length
    1/1/40
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

I’ve tried everything out there but the sulfates in most dandruff shampoos made the flakies worse for me in the long run. I’ve had the best luck massaging a bit of any oil into my scalp pre-shampoo, then using super simple fragrance free shampoo like Calia followed by an acv rinse. When my hair is dry, I put one drop of tea tree oil on my brush and run it through my hair focusing on my scalp. That helps with the itchies and tea tree is very anti fungal. It smells strong for about 5 minutes then fades quickly. If my scalp is feeling dry, I rub a few drops of argan or other simple oil into it and that’s it! This routine really seems to help me.

Length
    1 1/4/1 1/4/23
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Hey, a bit late to this thread, but I am a skincare/haircare maker studying cosmetic chemistry for several years now. What I use daily is really simple and effective, and it's easy to make as well. A simply apple cider vinegar rinse which for me doubles as conditioner (I never seem to need one after using it as it softens hair just enough). I find it gets rid of flakes within a week if not before.
    1.5 cups apple cider vinegar (with the Mother)
    2.5 cups distilled water
    10 drops of Ylang Ylang.
    Shake well, then use after shampooing.
    Hope it works for you!

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I developed a flaky scalp in my early teens. I used to scrub and scrub with various shampoos including head and shoulders but once my hair dried the flakes were visible again.
    Then one day I read a remedy in an old book advising to use a rinse of rosemary infusion after washing the hair. Luckily for me we had fresh rosemary growing in our garden so I made the infusion using fresh rosemary and used it as a final rinse making sure to really work it into my scalp.
    After my hair dried there were no more flakes, at all! I did it each time I washed but then after a while started to forget, but even so the flakes didn't come back.
    Rosemary rinses with the fresh herb would be my first choice for scalp flakes. Years later I tried dried rosemary and also rosemary essential oil but neither of them worked like the fresh herb.

I would also suggest the salicylic acid shampoo, it really does clear off the build up. Vosene is a cheap shampoo that contains it. You can also get shampoos that contain salicylic acid plus an antifungal which is great if fungus is the cause of the flakes.
    Of course you may not have a fungal issue and your scalp might be dry in which case lightly oiling the scalp can help.

What strikes me though is that it came on suddenly which makes me wonder if you could be reacting to a new hair product that's causing your scalp to have a reaction, or maybe a product you use has been reformulated and you haven't realised?

It might also be worth trying a scalp exfoliator. You can make a sugar or salt scrub mixing them with a bit of oil and rubbing into your scalp before shampooing it out. Or you can use a paste from powdered herbs, apply the paste either before shampooing, dampening your hair and scalp first then giving your scalp a good massage. The powder acts as a mild scalp scrub.
    Or you could get a scalp exfoliator brush. I use the one by tangle teaser which seems to do a good job.

I suppose the first thing to do though is figure out why you're getting these flakes. If you can access a medically qualified professional like a dermatologist then that really would be worth consulting. I know not everyone has access to dermatologists though.

I hope you manage to resolve this soon.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

For me personally, the *only* thing that works is aloe vera, pure, the pure stuff. I once had a shampoo that had it as its first ingredient, then the detergents followed, and it was a-ma-zing! Could very much compete with Head & Shoulders, for sure.

Other than that, I just have to resort to my Nizoral 2% bottle. It is what it is.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Just FYI guys, the OP was a spammer and now banned. Of course the tips on this thread will be useful for anyone else with a similar problem just the OP won't be acting on any suggestions themselves.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness