Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 119

Thread: Why won't my hair stay detangled?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Location
    USA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    89
    Type
    1a/F/ii

    Default Re: Why won't my hair stay detangled?

    Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Maybe sharing our own routines... might help?

    For detangling, I part my hair down the middle, front to nape. I then "throw" one section over my shoulder, and start on the first one. Bottom to top (which is also important and works best at keeping knots out). It beats brushing root down! Ouch. Then when finished with that I throw the detangled section over one shoulder and bring the other one forward. Then when that's done. I gather up my entire head, and go through *again* and *again* until the entire head is done. Then I wash my hair.

    Yes, I only detangle weekly, since... with my texture, it's a given. My head is an entire knot until week's end.
    That's kinda like how I detangle my hair, except I do more than two sections and I don't usually detangle right before I wash my hair. I could try detangling before I shower and see if there are fewer tangles when I'm done washing my hair. I haven't noticed a huge difference when I've tried that before, but you never know.

  2. #22
    Glitter fairy Chromis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    11,098
    Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

    Default Re: Why won't my hair stay detangled?

    Quote Originally Posted by Annapox View Post
    I love your sense of humor! XD I actually find that when I brush my hair after detangling, I have fewer tangles the next time I detangle. And my hair is easier to style. And I find that my hair is easiest to detangle when it's wet. If I let my hair dry without detangling it, it gets a lot more difficult to detangle. But what you said about lint makes me wonder how much dust from my guinea pigs' hay is getting in my hair, especially on the one day a week when I take their dirty fleece bedding outside to shake off all the tiny hay pieces so it can be washed (it is sometimes pointed out to me afterward that I have visible pieces of hay in my hair). Although I've had tangly hair since long before I had guinea pigs, and it's not like I can stop giving them hay. Hmm. Maybe I should start wearing a bandana or something when I shake out their bedding ...
    Covering your hair for dirty jobs does really help! I am a farmer and I wear a bandanna most days in summer until it is warmer hat season.

    Couple more thoughts which work for my tangly hair but not for all - I do not change the direction of my hair while washing it. No inverted washing for me! I use shampoo bars to wash and put my hair over one shoulder and "pet" the bar down the length. I detangle before getting in the shower. To put it up after I kind of have to fold it into the turbie since my hair is much longer than the towel. I don't twist it and really don't manipulate it much until it is at least damp dry.

    Also, guinea pigs! Cuuute!

    From zero to hero

    All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Location
    USA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    89
    Type
    1a/F/ii

    Default Re: Why won't my hair stay detangled?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    Covering your hair for dirty jobs does really help! I am a farmer and I wear a bandanna most days in summer until it is warmer hat season.

    Couple more thoughts which work for my tangly hair but not for all - I do not change the direction of my hair while washing it. No inverted washing for me! I use shampoo bars to wash and put my hair over one shoulder and "pet" the bar down the length. I detangle before getting in the shower. To put it up after I kind of have to fold it into the turbie since my hair is much longer than the towel. I don't twist it and really don't manipulate it much until it is at least damp dry.

    Also, guinea pigs! Cuuute!
    No inverted washing for me, either! No inversion of my hair at all, ever. That's why I shampoo my scalp and my length in separate steps: It allows me to shampoo the length by running my hands along the length instead of by messing up my hair. Detangling before I get in the shower sounds like something I should give another shot; I didn't notice a difference last time I tried it, but it can't hurt, right? I'm hesitant to put off braiding my hair until it's dry because keeping it braided is how I keep it from becoming a complete rat's nest. And my hair takes a long time to dry, so it would be loose for quite a while.

    Yes, guinea pigs are adorable!

  4. #24
    Member KokoroDragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    The U.P.
    Posts
    1,022
    Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

    Default Re: Why won't my hair stay detangled?

    Quote Originally Posted by Annapox View Post
    No boar bristles on wet hair, even if it's a Wet Brush boar bristle brush? I thought the whole point of a Wet Brush was that it could be used on wet hair. (Not trying to argue; just trying to understand.)
    Personally I wouldn't use boar bristles on wet hair. Wet Brush is the brand, not the function. The original Wet Brush is, of course, for use on wet hair. But to my understanding boar bristles should only be used on dry hair. I used to have a brush with both nylon and boar bristles (different brand) and it said right on the label to never use it on wet hair.

    My go-to brush for detangling is a spiral brush with super flexible nylon bristles. Let me see if I can fine it online...Here it is. I have the "swirl" version.

    I also have fine hair that tangles easily. It also gets greasy easily, which makes finding detangling products hard. Here are a couple things that I have found help:

    1. I always sleep with a satin bonnet. That alone has cut down on tangles so much!

    2. I cut out cones. I know they help with tangles for most people, but for some reason products with silicones always make my tangles way worse. Even detangling products. I don't know how much you've experimented with different products, but it's something to think about.

    3. I have found that my hair tangles much more in braids than in a bun. I always get nape tangles with braids.

    4. Not drying my hair with a towel made more of a difference than I thought it would. I have to use 2-3 t-shirts to soak up the water because one isn't enough. You could also get a super large t-shirt if you only want to use one.

    5. Lint is the enemy. I haven't been able to avoid lint entirely, but I keep my hair covered whenever I'm doing especially dusty tasks. I will also sometimes leave my hair in my satin bonnet if I'm staying home so lint can't get on it.

    My hair is much less tangly now, but it honestly took years to get to this point. I know it can be frustrating, but try not to let the tangles get to you too much!

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Location
    USA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    89
    Type
    1a/F/ii

    Default Re: Why won't my hair stay detangled?

    Quote Originally Posted by KokoroDragon View Post
    Personally I wouldn't use boar bristles on wet hair. Wet Brush is the brand, not the function. The original Wet Brush is, of course, for use on wet hair. But to my understanding boar bristles should only be used on dry hair. I used to have a brush with both nylon and boar bristles (different brand) and it said right on the label to never use it on wet hair.

    My go-to brush for detangling is a spiral brush with super flexible nylon bristles. Let me see if I can fine it online...Here it is. I have the "swirl" version.

    I also have fine hair that tangles easily. It also gets greasy easily, which makes finding detangling products hard. Here are a couple things that I have found help:

    1. I always sleep with a satin bonnet. That alone has cut down on tangles so much!

    2. I cut out cones. I know they help with tangles for most people, but for some reason products with silicones always make my tangles way worse. Even detangling products. I don't know how much you've experimented with different products, but it's something to think about.

    3. I have found that my hair tangles much more in braids than in a bun. I always get nape tangles with braids.

    4. Not drying my hair with a towel made more of a difference than I thought it would. I have to use 2-3 t-shirts to soak up the water because one isn't enough. You could also get a super large t-shirt if you only want to use one.

    5. Lint is the enemy. I haven't been able to avoid lint entirely, but I keep my hair covered whenever I'm doing especially dusty tasks. I will also sometimes leave my hair in my satin bonnet if I'm staying home so lint can't get on it.

    My hair is much less tangly now, but it honestly took years to get to this point. I know it can be frustrating, but try not to let the tangles get to you too much!
    Ah, I see. I had assumed that a brand called Wet Brush would make sure all its brushes were suitable for wet hair. But that would be too logical. Does my hair have to be completely dry to use boar bristles, or is it okay if my hair is a little damp, like when I braid it wet and it's still damp in the morning when I brush it next? I used to have a brush that was flexible like the one you linked, but it broke after less than a year. How long have you been using your current brush?

    I'll keep the satin bonnet in mind, but I'm worried it won't be comfortable to sleep in, so I might hold off until I've tried some of the other suggestions. My current shampoo, conditioner, and detangler all have cones, but there have definitely been times when I used shampoos/conditioners/detanglers that didn't have cones, and I don't remember there being a big difference. I might be remembering wrong, though. I do know that my hair is easier to detangle with my current conditioner and detangler than without. Does that mean my hair is okay with cones?

    I haven't kept track carefully, but I have the impression that my hair gets more tangles in a bun than in a braid. That might have to do with the fact that it usually takes me two or three attempts to get a bun to stay without being uncomfortably tight, though. My hair is very talented at escaping from most hair toys, so there's a very narrow window where my bun is tight enough to stay put but loose enough to be comfortable.

    Does it have to be a particularly soft T-shirt, or will any T-shirt work better than a towel? I think there must be a bandana somewhere in my house, so I can probably cover my hair while I do dusty tasks.

  6. #26
    LHC FairyGodMum lapushka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    68,583
    Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

    Default Re: Why won't my hair stay detangled?

    Quote Originally Posted by Annapox View Post
    That's kinda like how I detangle my hair, except I do more than two sections and I don't usually detangle right before I wash my hair. I could try detangling before I shower and see if there are fewer tangles when I'm done washing my hair. I haven't noticed a huge difference when I've tried that before, but you never know.
    Oh definitely detangle before you wash, it's *amazing* and it makes a difference, trust me. You know what goes for dogs? If you wet a matted coat the mats tighten. So I love to get the knots out before I get it wet. Would not put myself through the pain (sensitive scalp) if it wasn't worth it; totally!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Location
    USA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    89
    Type
    1a/F/ii

    Default Re: Why won't my hair stay detangled?

    So to summarize the suggestions I think are the most doable so far (in no particular order):

    • Stop using boar bristles on wet hair
    • Leave conditioner in longer
    • Detangle in the shower with conditioner still in
    • Use more conditioner
    • Condition twice
    • Cover hair for dusty tasks
    • Detangle before showering (in addition to after)
    • Dry hair with an old T-shirt (or several shirts) instead of a towel


    And if those don't work:
    • Wear a satin bonnet to sleep
    • Dry hair with a microfiber towel


    I know the general rule is to make one change at a time. Does that rule apply to all of these changes, or would it make sense, for example, to try detangling before I shower and covering my hair for dusty work at the same time? Or some other combination of the suggestions? And how do I decide which change(s) to make first?

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Location
    USA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    89
    Type
    1a/F/ii

    Default Re: Why won't my hair stay detangled?

    Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Oh definitely detangle before you wash, it's *amazing* and it makes a difference, trust me. You know what goes for dogs? If you wet a matted coat the mats tighten. So I love to get the knots out before I get it wet. Would not put myself through the pain (sensitive scalp) if it wasn't worth it; totally!
    I don't know much about dog care; I've only ever had guinea pigs. And guinea pigs don't usually get baths. But if wetting matted hair makes the mats tighten, then it makes sense that detangling before a shower would be a good idea!

  9. #29
    Member shelomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,548
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

    Default Re: Why won't my hair stay detangled?

    Quote Originally Posted by Annapox View Post
    What kind of bun do you do? What do you secure it with? Do you have to redo the buns every time you move a strand from one to the other?
    I put them up with chopsticks (doesn't matter if they get stained ( ; ) and yes, I do redo them constantly as I shift hair from "waiting" to "done." I'm certain you could use claw clips if you wanted something faster.

  10. #30
    Member shelomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,548
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

    Default Re: Why won't my hair stay detangled?

    Quote Originally Posted by rosenester View Post
    This is how I use mine! I could never flip my hair upside down, especially when damp or wet. It gets terribly matted.
    I had no clue until the last two minutes that you were supposed to do it the other way round O.o

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •