Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi there!

Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Hi there!

I never use heat to style my hair, mostly because I just don't have the patience or coordination for it, and also because I don't even like the feeling of a hair dryer blowing hot air against my scalp. I go to the hairdresser between twice a year and once every two years, also because I don't have the patience or coordination for it (hairdressers usually want me to stand so they can reach the ends of my hair more easily, and I have mild balance issues). When I do get my hair trimmed, I tell them to just cut off the split ends and things, and they usually end up taking off an inch or so. My hair still hasn't gotten any longer in several years, so I'm guessing it's a combination of genetics, the fact that my disabilities make it difficult for me to eat right and exercise, and the fact that I'm not sufficiently gentle when I detangle my hair. Being gentler on my hair when I detangle it is the easiest change to make, so I'm starting there. Or trying to, at least.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Bra/Thigh/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Annapox View Post
    I never use heat to style my hair, mostly because I just don't have the patience or coordination for it, and also because I don't even like the feeling of a hair dryer blowing hot air against my scalp. I go to the hairdresser between twice a year and once every two years, also because I don't have the patience or coordination for it (hairdressers usually want me to stand so they can reach the ends of my hair more easily, and I have mild balance issues). When I do get my hair trimmed, I tell them to just cut off the split ends and things, and they usually end up taking off an inch or so. My hair still hasn't gotten any longer in several years, so I'm guessing it's a combination of genetics, the fact that my disabilities make it difficult for me to eat right and exercise, and the fact that I'm not sufficiently gentle when I detangle my hair. Being gentler on my hair when I detangle it is the easiest change to make, so I'm starting there. Or trying to, at least.
    Excellent plan Annapox, to be more gentle with your hair. A hairdresser I actually loved and trusted years ago, once told me to “treat your hair like it is fine lace”. He told me that so many women he knew, just ripped a brush through their hair, starting at the root….worst thing you can do. Go easy and gentle, starting with the ends first and workimg your way up to the root.

Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Whirly Girly View Post
    Excellent plan Annapox, to be more gentle with your hair. A hairdresser I actually loved and trusted years ago, once told me to “treat your hair like it is fine lace”. He told me that so many women he knew, just ripped a brush through their hair, starting at the root….worst thing you can do. Go easy and gentle, starting with the ends first and workimg your way up to the root.
    Yeah, I always intend to start at the ends and go slowly, but somehow that's not what happens, because I end up ripping through knots. Gotta work on that. The other issue is that when I comb my hair in small sections, by the time I've detangled the second section, the first section has some knots in it again (I find them when I try to comb through the two sections together). Usually small ones, but still. It's hard to be patient with the detangling process when it seems to undo itself almost immediately.

Length
    Bra/Thigh/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Yeah, I always intend to start at the ends and go slowly, but somehow that's not what happens, because I end up ripping through knots. Gotta work on that. The other issue is that when I comb my hair in small sections, by the time I've detangled the second section, the first section has some knots in it again (I find them when I try to comb through the two sections together). Usually small ones, but still. It's hard to be patient with the detangling process when it seems to undo itself almost immediately.
    It’s hard to break bad habits sometimes…I hear ya, Annapox.

I’ve had a similar problem with my hair getting lots of tangles too…it can be frustrating indeed. I sometimes clip the section aside, that I’ve combed already…or I braid it so it doesn’t re-tangle…but that can be a hassle too.

Hair…we can love it and despise it, all at the same time.

Type
    1a/F/ii

It’s hard to break bad habits sometimes…I hear ya, Annapox.

I’ve had a similar problem with my hair getting lots of tangles too…it can be frustrating indeed. I sometimes clip the section aside, that I’ve combed already…or I braid it so it doesn’t re-tangle…but that can be a hassle too.

Hair…we can love it and despise it, all at the same time.
    What kind of clips do you use for that? I don't think I have anything suitable for keeping the sections separate. I only have things that are good for holding all of my hair. I could try small braids, but I don't know what I'd tie them off with, and my hair unbraids itself really quickly.

I started a thread about my tangly hair, and I've gotten some really good suggestions there, too. This place is so helpful!

Length
    Bra/Thigh/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

What kind of clips do you use for that? I don't think I have anything suitable for keeping the sections separate. I only have things that are good for holding all of my hair. I could try small braids, but I don't know what I'd tie them off with, and my hair unbraids itself really quickly.

I started a thread about my tangly hair, and I've gotten some really good suggestions there, too. This place is so helpful!

Nothing special….just a bunch of inexpensive clips from the dollar store.

I will surely check out your new thread. Thanks.

Type
    1a/F/ii

Nothing special….just a bunch of inexpensive clips from the dollar store.

I will surely check out your new thread. Thanks.
    But like, are they little claw clips, or some other kind of clip? And how do you clip the detangled sections up without making the other sections less accessible? Do you just clip the detangled sections to themselves?

Length
    Bra/Thigh/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I don’t actually clip my hair up, Annapox. I just clip it aside. It still hangs down but it’s clipped to keep it from moving around.

I part my hair in the middle and then I start brushing sections of my hair on the one side and then clipping it on that same side.…until I’ve worked my way to the middle of the back of my head. I just keep gathering the brushed sections from that side, and bringing it around and into the clip.

Then I do the same on the other side. When I’m finished, it looks like I’ve got two clipped pony tails hanging down…one on the left and one on the right.

My hair is big so I use giant claw clips but you can use whatever size works best for your hair.

I hope this clarifies things. It’s difficult to explain when not in person. The point is to just keep the brushed hair neat and tucked away from the other hair you’re brushing, as best as you can.

Type
    1a/F/ii

I don’t actually clip my hair up, Annapox. I just clip it aside. It still hangs down but it’s clipped to keep it from moving around.

I part my hair in the middle and then I start brushing sections of my hair on the one side and then clipping it on that same side.…until I’ve worked my way to the middle of the back of my head. I just keep gathering the brushed sections from that side, and bringing it around and into the clip.

Then I do the same on the other side. When I’m finished, it looks like I’ve got two clipped pony tails hanging down…one on the left and one on the right.

My hair is big so I use giant claw clips but you can use whatever size works best for your hair.

I hope this clarifies things. It’s difficult to explain when not in person. The point is to just keep the brushed hair neat and tucked away from the other hair you’re brushing, as best as you can.
    Oh, that makes sense. Thank you for clarifying!

Length
    Bra/Thigh/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Oh, that makes sense. Thank you for clarifying!
    No problem. You’re very welcome, Annapox. Happy detangling!