Thread: Essential Oils for Clarifying?

Default Essential Oils for Clarifying?

Hi!
    Does anyone know if you can use essential oils mixed in a carrier oil for clarifying hair? My hair is phenomenally greasy/waxy with sebum right now, and typical clarifying shampoos are not an option for me (I am EXTREMELY sensitive). Thanks!

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Essential Oils for Clarifying?

Unfortunately, no essential oil will clean sebum. You might check out acure clarifying shampoo, its sulfate free. Another option would be a clay mask but that can be really drying for some people. I tried bentonite clay once, worse thing I ever put in my hair. Kaolin would probably be milder and is a whole lot easier to work with.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLeMarre View Post
    Hi!
    Does anyone know if you can use essential oils mixed in a carrier oil for clarifying hair? My hair is phenomenally greasy/waxy with sebum right now, and typical clarifying shampoos are not an option for me (I am EXTREMELY sensitive). Thanks!
    What shampoos can you use? What have you tried? This will help us!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/CL/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

If you have sensitive scalp I would not put essential oils on it, even with a carrier oil. They are extremely strong.
    Classic length
    42,3 inches/107,5 cm

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

If what you are trying to remove is waxy buildup rather than cones then I'd suggest using an oil like jojoba rather than essential oils. A heavy oiling left on for a few hours can soften the buildup of wax and make it easier to wash off.

Essential oils can be added of course, depending on preference but I wouldn't look to them as a clarifying treatment.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    If what you are trying to remove is waxy buildup rather than cones then I'd suggest using an oil like jojoba rather than essential oils. A heavy oiling left on for a few hours can soften the buildup of wax and make it easier to wash off.

Essential oils can be added of course, depending on preference but I wouldn't look to them as a clarifying treatment.
    Yeah but you'd still need a shampoo, which is contrary to the question at hand. I think OP "only" wants oils and has issues with shampoos.

But at one point there had to have been one, so which is why I tried asking more info on it. It's a little confusing to me, because there's always a history, right?

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Ankle/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

A bit more info about what exactly your sensitivities are would be useful. Conditioner can do a decent job - obviously not to the level of shampoo, but much better than straight oils.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yeah, more info would be greatly appreciated... if OP is still here, or seeing this? I asked upthread already.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Yeah but you'd still need a shampoo, which is contrary to the question at hand. I think OP "only" wants oils and has issues with shampoos.

But at one point there had to have been one, so which is why I tried asking more info on it. It's a little confusing to me, because there's always a history, right?
    Right yes, a shampoo would be needed. I've heard people find clays good but I've not tried them myself. I've never found herb washing or CO washing particularly clarifying and oils alone I can't imagine would do it