Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does repeating hennaing dye your hair dark red or dark red brown?

Default Does repeating hennaing dye your hair dark red or dark red brown?

I'd really love to get dark red brown hair and I'm just thinking If I need there indigo or not. And I've heard that continuing hennaing dyes your hair finally dark, but what is the shade?
    Last edited by Priska; September 17th, 2022 at 12:01 AM.

Default Re: Does repeating hennaing dye your hair dark red or dark red brown?

And if I need Indigo, how long should I let it sit in my hair if I definitely don't want to get black hair but just dark chocolate brown? My hair is now naturally dark brown and grey about 50-50%. Or maybe already more gray than brown (I went grey young)

And one more. Does Indigo slowly fade away? I've heard something like that too.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Indigo does not fade. If you, at all, want to bleach your hair (you never know, to get some dye out), then do not use indigo; it will turn your hair green.

I also think there is a henna FAQ in this subforum somewhere.... Please do your research and do not just order it put it on your head and regret it later. Always use a little bit of shed hair to test on!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I agree with strand testing. Because results will probably be different on each person's hair, so I'm not sure if anyone can tell you exactly what color you'll get or how many applications it'll take. IIRC, repeated applications push the color cooler, so if you want warm red rather than burgundy, it's maybe not the best idea.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

For your basic question, it depends both on the number of applications and on the underlying hair color. I also have dark brown hair, and you can see what it looks like under many, many layers of henna in the introduction thread. Under natural light, like in my profile picture, it is very red. Indoors or in diffused light, like in the picture where I'm wearing the metallic dress, you wouldn't guess that there was any redness to it at all. So I would say that for me, on average, it yields what you're calling "dark red brown."

As to indigo, I don't have any experience.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

shelomit, that is my biggest regret of henna. I was so used to chemical dye (looks basically, well virtually, the same in every light). And henna was so different, so different depending on the light. Indoors I got a dark deer brown, outdoors a firy red (which was what I wanted *all* of the time). So unless you are outside 24/7... for me? Not worth it to look "just brown". But it's different for everybody.

There is a lot of good to henna; sad that discovery was not mine.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Indigo does not fade. If you, at all, want to bleach your hair (you never know, to get some dye out), then do not use indigo; it will turn your hair green.

I also think there is a henna FAQ in this subforum somewhere.... Please do your research and do not just order it put it on your head and regret it later. Always use a little bit of shed hair to test on!
    Indigo can definitley fade a lot during the first applications. Just not enough that it disappears from the hair, but enough to look lighter. It actually took me several applications with the two step method, to get black hair and even longer to get it too stay black. It took years before it quit fading completely and I could quit touching up the length.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    Indigo can definitley fade a lot during the first applications. Just not enough that it disappears from the hair, but enough to look lighter. It actually took me several applications with the two step method, to get black hair and even longer to get it too stay black. It took years before it quit fading completely and I could quit touching up the length.
    I never did a 2 step process, just never got black but a deep and dark brown with it, and this way it never did fade for me. My goodness, I could not get that out of my hair if I tried.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I've seen people say that henna goes burgundy with repeated applications, but I'm sure it depends on what color you start with.