Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does repeating hennaing dye your hair dark red or dark red brown?

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL

Default Re: Does repeating hennaing dye your hair dark red or dark red brown?

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I have ash blond hair and I went more of a burgundy brown with repeated applications. The one time I tried two step with indigo to go black, the indigo completely disappeared after a couple months so it does fade on some people.
    For it to stay black permanently, you need to do the two-step more than one time.
    Saying that, because your comment made it sound like you did the two-step just the once.
    Alea jacta est ~ Tärningen är kastad

My nick on other places is Moon AppleGrey

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Für immer View Post
    Did you use lemons or anything like that as well, or just henna when that happened?
    Just wondering, since henna by itself shouldn't cause that.
    I mixed my henna with warm water only. I left it in my hair approximately one hour and removed it by swimming in the river, then washing my hair in the shower when I got back to the house.

Length
    BSL/TBL/TERM
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I mixed my henna with warm water only. I left it in my hair approximately one hour and removed it by swimming in the river, then washing my hair in the shower when I got back to the house.
    I’m giggling as I read this, that’s a super natural way to remove the henna LOL.
    97cm 1b/C/10.5cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][My Hair Story][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL

Yes... though I was asking lapushka regarding her result, so I'm not quite sure how to interpret your comment.
    Alea jacta est ~ Tärningen är kastad

My nick on other places is Moon AppleGrey

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/31"/55"
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

It will really depend on your original color. I don't imagine you'd get a brown color if you have extremely light hair with repeat full-strength applications- it will likely go quite dark red instead.

Indigo can be mixed in with henna to produce browner colors, and amla added will give more brown color. However, when you start messing around with indigo, you really ought to treat it as permanent- you can't bleach over indigo'd hair. (Even though indigo applications can be "spotty"- this happened to me and I had to do I think 2-3 2-step applications before it was really stuck to my hair) so maybe pick up some mohair and do some test blends, then do a strand test with your own hair once you figure out a ratio you like.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

When doing henna at my grandmother's house, my family would always jump in the pond to rinse it off : )

Length
    Chin/Waist/Knee
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I've been using good quality henna on my hair for many years (I think it's 14). My natural color is dark auburn. I began applying henna when I started noticing gray hairs. If you look at my photos, the really bright copper color is the henna over my grays. I like the effect I'm getting now that more of my hair is turning gray. I get cool copper streaks through my hair.
    Hurray! I've reached waist-land! Lady Roxanne,Keeper of the Caprines 🐐 of Willoughby Croft in the order of the Long Haired Knights.

Thank you all! And new answers are welcome too

My hair is naturally dark brown but now almost half Gray.

Length
    18.5/24/28
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I did some strand testing last week on my light brown hair.

1. Pure Moroccan henna with cream of tartar as acid = looked like a true dark red (too red for me)
    2. Pure Moroccan henna with Amla as acid = warm brown with some red tones in sun
    3. 50% henna with amla & 50% indigo = looks like ashy/cool tones medium brown