Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does repeating hennaing dye your hair dark red or dark red brown?

Default Re: Does repeating hennaing dye your hair dark red or dark red brown?

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    shelomit, that is my biggest regret of henna. I was so used to chemical dye (looks basically, well virtually, the same in every light). And henna was so different, so different depending on the light. Indoors I got a dark deer brown, outdoors a firy red (which was what I wanted *all* of the time). So unless you are outside 24/7... for me? Not worth it to look "just brown". But it's different for everybody.

There is a lot of good to henna; sad that discovery was not mine.
    Yeah, that's the disappointing thing I've found, too. In some light, it looks almost cool-toned. In some light, you can't tell my hair is henna'd at all. And then in sunlight... it can be a lovely warm red, and like you, that's *always* what I want it to look like (but I'm not willing to bleach to try to achieve that).

I think it does warm up my color at least a bit, though, no matter the light, so I'll keep it... (if my hair were warm-toned to begin with, maybe I wouldn't care so much.)
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

shelomit, that is my biggest regret of henna. I was so used to chemical dye (looks basically, well virtually, the same in every light). And henna was so different, so different depending on the light. Indoors I got a dark deer brown, outdoors a firy red (which was what I wanted *all* of the time). So unless you are outside 24/7... for me? Not worth it to look "just brown". But it's different for everybody.

There is a lot of good to henna; sad that discovery was not mine.
    Yes, obviously it's not for everyone. Hennaed hair is the norm in my family, so to us the variations are not surprising. And I have the advantage of not caring much about my specific color, and of starting from dark hair in the first place.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I noticed the stark color differences as well when I tried henna on my mid-range blonde hair. In the sunlight, it was fiery clown orange (bleh!). Indoors, it was about the same color as a new red brick. I didn't strand test, and I didn't particularly like either color. Thankfully it gradually faded to sort of a copper blonde over time (no repeated applications). The worst part was that it seemed to make my hair dry and brittle; at least it seemed that way. I've noted since then that my ends always seem rather brittle; they split and break easily, especially at longer lengths.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I noticed the stark color differences as well when I tried henna on my mid-range blonde hair. In the sunlight, it was fiery clown orange (bleh!). Indoors, it was about the same color as a new red brick. I didn't strand test, and I didn't particularly like either color. Thankfully it gradually faded to sort of a copper blonde over time (no repeated applications). The worst part was that it seemed to make my hair dry and brittle; at least it seemed that way. I've noted since then that my ends always seem rather brittle; they split and break easily, especially at longer lengths.
    It made my hair dry & brittle as well, spidermom, you are not just imagining it. I always compare my experience with henna to bleach, same thing for me (in a sense).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL

It made my hair dry & brittle as well, spidermom, you are not just imagining it. I always compare my experience with henna to bleach, same thing for me (in a sense).
    Did you use lemons or anything like that as well, or just henna when that happened?
    Just wondering, since henna by itself shouldn't cause that.
    Alea jacta est ~ Tärningen är kastad

My nick on other places is Moon AppleGrey

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Für immer View Post
    Did you use lemons or anything like that as well, or just henna when that happened?
    Just wondering, since henna by itself shouldn't cause that.
    Nope; nothing of the sort! Henna just makes my hair really overly porous. I get more wave formation as well, rather than less, and my hair does not just feel dry upon application but all the time thereafter!

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL

Nope; nothing of the sort! Henna just makes my hair really overly porous. I get more wave formation as well, rather than less, and my hair does not just feel dry upon application but all the time thereafter!
    That so? Strange.
    Alea jacta est ~ Tärningen är kastad

My nick on other places is Moon AppleGrey

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Für immer View Post
    That so? Strange.
    Yep. After a henna I barely got oily as well, for at least 14 days, which was awesome. I mean the effect lasted 14 days that I could prolong washing in that time-span. But that, and the pretty red color in full sunshine, was about the only good thing!

Thank you for all your responses! 🤗

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I have ash blond hair and I went more of a burgundy brown with repeated applications. The one time I tried two step with indigo to go black, the indigo completely disappeared after a couple months so it does fade on some people.