Thread: Is there really no thread about okra here yet?

Default Is there really no thread about okra here yet?

I'd love to hear experiences of okra treatment. I didn't even know about it, and I think it would be easier to obtain than many other anti-tanglers, possibly cheaper too. I found some videos from YouTube but the hair type of these women was different from mine...
    Last edited by Priska; August 28th, 2022 at 07:48 AM.

Default Re: Is there really no thread about okra here yet?

I always would like to hear compairing to other treatments...

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Never heard of okra being used for hair.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I would presume it's something along the lines of extracting the mucilage, and then using that to wet the hair? News to me. If pure vegetable mucilage is what you're looking for, jute or Jew's mallow (what we call "molokheya" in Arabic) is also a very rich source. I like eating okra too much to save it for other uses, I think ( ;

Length
    BSL/TBL/TERM
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Priska View Post
    I'd love to hear experiences of okra treatment. I didn't even know about it, and I think it would be easier to obtain than many other anti-tanglers, possibly cheaper too. I found some videos from YouTube but the hair type of these women was different from mine...
    May I ask what exactly is your hair type since your didn’t list it in your profile.
    I have mostly seen Africans, Asians (especially Indians) and Caribbeans making videos about okra hair care, either as a pre-poo, a shampoo or conditioner and they generally have positive results. People with curly hair seem to like to use it as a detangler or leave-in for better curl definition. I don’t need the gel to detangle since I have 1a/1b hair.

https://youtu.be/DMU9ZfNlLSM
    Beautyklove has a similar hair type to mine, so if it works on her, I may give it a try later since I do grow okra in my vegetable garden.

In theory, I think most plant-based gels works in the same logic like flaxseed gel, aloe gel, cactus gel… etc. I don’t really believe in their magic power to boost growth, but rather as a lubricant to reduce mechanical damage and thus retain length.

I used to have my Baohuashui treatment which is a mucus from the elm, kind of like slippery elm, I enjoy it very much, you can check it here: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ategoryid=3639

Last week I tried to use cactus mucus as part of my pre-poo hot oil treatment since I learned it from a Caribbean hair care youtuber who talked about combining cactus and okra leaves, I love the easy application but I also shed a bit more than usual. So I’d be more cautious next time.
    Also, the okra leaves turned rancid after soaking in the bottle overnight so I didn’t use that.

https://youtu.be/Ajkl3ERYiJQ

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=148097
    Last edited by tuanyiji; September 1st, 2022 at 07:53 AM.
    97cm 1b/C/10.5cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][My Hair Story][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]